6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting short on my annual Texas road trip to hog heaven time . I see on the news that Houston is swimming. My destination is SE of San Antonio about 90 mi via I 10 with stops in El Paso, Boerne ,SA and Cuero with a 4 day pause there and Wealder then on to north to Texarkana. Should I outfit my rig with paddle tires and pontoons or just pack my muck boots ? How's it really look for the next 2 weeks based on experience for the next 2 weeks?

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Weather

Our family ranch is in GONZALES County, East from SA. I live 50 miles north. We;ve had 8-12 inches of rain this week. Down in GONZALES, much much less. Report from neighbor was around 1.5".

Got rain moving into area again now, but south has had much less rain.

I'd go!

·
Registered
348 Posts
South of SA is dry. Was through Shiner/Gonzales/Tilden yesterday and really not even any standing water. In West Texas today and things are drying up, though still a little muddy in places. Houston on the other hand is WET! Left Houston in the knick of time just before the floods started.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Texas gets a majority of it's yearly rainfall totals in April and May. We are still in a strong El Nino pattern with rain in the extended forecast just about every third day. SE of San Antonio hasn't gotten the flooding rains that Central and SE Texas have gotten but it still gets wet. Skeeters and pigs are everywhere, bring extra ammo.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's good info thanks guys . I'm a desert rat through and through. Here at home we get 4-5" IF it all hits a rain gauge per year. So a couple of inches in 1 storm might drown me . :a31:

Sounds like we should be good to go. Plenty of ammo will be on hand . The ranch says we can have all the under 25# weiner pigs we want. So I guess I'll have to master the in 1 eye out the other shot.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
^^^^^^
Wow....... there's no jaw drop smilie but there should be.

Our hail falls a mile or more so it's bad here if it's 1/2 " , I've seen 3/4 " but it was like little bitty slush balls .

I'll bump this a couple more times this week .

In my best Gorge Carlin "F#####n ' meow dude , that hurt like a sum bit ch".
That hail curls my toes and has me shopping for a new windshield just looking at it.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
^^^^^^
Wow....... there's no jaw drop smilie but there should be.

Our hail falls a mile or more so it's bad here if it's 1/2 " , I've seen 3/4 " but it was like little bitty slush balls .

I'll bump this a couple more times this week .

In my best Gorge Carlin "F#####n ' meow dude , that hurt like a sum bit ch".
That hail curls my toes and has me shopping for a new windshield just looking at it.
We were lucky at my house only $12,300 damage to our 3 cars, 1 cracked windshield. My 10 month old truck got it the worst, $4800 damage.

The house had 1 broken window, outside glass only. Getting new roof. Gutter were beat to s%^t.

Most people on my block lost ALL the windows on the front of their house.

http://www.kens5.com/news/heavy-hail-damages-helotes-property/131085634

http://www.ksat.com/weather/helotes-gets-pounded-by-hail

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have a good friend who owns a roofing company in San Antonio. He has been sending me some pretty wild pictures of the damage as he was out doing estimates. That storm got out of hand in a hurry!

·
Registered
447 Posts
I'm in San Antonio and its been raining off and on... today is warm and humid but news said we may get some more tomorrow,as mentioned we are inour rainy period and this season sure feels like last march -may... may is when most of the rain stopped and i got to do some late spring hog hunting in Mountain Home

Sent from my XT1045 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Helotes ,
Bummer about wreckage . That is exactly what worries me about this trip is the possibility of that kind of damage . Sounds like the insurance company is working out .
Just different causes in different places.

Well just to consol myself , I live at 4100 ft work is at 4000 . Last weekend I spent 3 days in Teeshirts and sun block with the afternoons peaking at about 80* . Open the windows for an hour or 2 in the late afternoon ,it was nice . It lasted all last week ,Saturday the wind blew nothing big 30 gusting 50 giving way to evening rain and 10-20 mph . Sunday was nice ,cool in the morning some afternoon clouds cool but still tee shirt warm. 39* on the back porch this morning snow down to 6000 this morning and currently snowing above 8000' all the way up to 50* .

Cook,freeze,cook,freeze life in the shadow of the Sierras . I was ready for some steady warm .....

·
Registered
253 Posts
Helotes ,
Bummer about wreckage . That is exactly what worries me about this trip is the possibility of that kind of damage . Sounds like the insurance company is working out .
Just different causes in different places.

Well just to consol myself , I live at 4100 ft work is at 4000 . Last weekend I spent 3 days in Teeshirts and sun block with the afternoons peaking at about 80* . Open the windows for an hour or 2 in the late afternoon ,it was nice . It lasted all last week ,Saturday the wind blew nothing big 30 gusting 50 giving way to evening rain and 10-20 mph . Sunday was nice ,cool in the morning some afternoon clouds cool but still tee shirt warm. 39* on the back porch this morning snow down to 6000 this morning and currently snowing above 8000' all the way up to 50* .

Cook,freeze,cook,freeze life in the shadow of the Sierras . I was ready for some steady warm .....
Don't worry it will still be warm... Just maybe bring a poncho, a hardhat, and a boat ;)

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Grrreaaat........
I'm thinking shoulder pads too.

I've been in a southern rain once or twice, a lot like bath water actually. It's so dry out here I've seen a truck dock wet ,the ground dry and rain dissappear in the head lights all at the sAmerican tI'm . Meanwhile the temperature was dropping 35*. None of that lasted very long but from 105 to 70 was very welcome.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.