6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here in Minne-SNOW-ta, cans are a strict no-no. Seems kind of odd to me as we can legally posses most any other NFA regulated weapon... But no suppressors!! Don't take this the wrong way now... when my get my approval for my SBR, I'll be shooting loud and proud!! However, what about those other time where the excessive blast may not be such a good thing?

I'm not just looking for the "tacticool" factor, which is very high by the way, but for more useful purposes such as in deer hunting. I don't know of one guy up here that uses any kind of hearing protection in the field. Not that there isn't any available, they (me included) just don't use them. Entry a suppressor... a major drop in dB, and a bit more vel to boot. honestly, some years, opening morning sounds like WWIII with shots echoing in from all over. Throw a few cans in the mix and the deer woods would be a much quieter place come November.

However, the powers the be, seem to look on cans as being part of the criminal element. And, I'll wager they get most of that from TV... How does one go about getting the laws changed? Where could I find info to back up the "pro can" position? And you do we present this to? Your thoughts....

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Legally speaking,

Here would be my approach.

The NAACP used a somewhat modified version of what I would say to do.

The new Supreme Court decision is a major major key to removing state bans. Now NFA was not mentioned, so, that is a possible issue, however.

What I would think you might be able to do in a few years is this, once Heller has befallen all the state and or city handgun bans and AWBs in remaining states, there is a chance, one could construe it to apply to NFA items, in this way. Since some states allow it via a taxing and spending power of the USA aka 200 dollar tax stamp, you as a citizen are being prejudice by the MN law where as your fellow citizens in SD are not. There is an argument which can be made there.

Now, it might take some time to build but it will be there, whether it succeeds is another issue for the courts.

That would be the strongest approach currently.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts