6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed on my new build(Aero Precision gen 11 upper,ARP 6.8 18 inch 5r) that the tips of the 120 Grain SST are hitting the feed ramp.
Using the ASC 10 round Magazine.
Would it be best to tweek the rear of the Magazine lips DOWN to get the tips of the bullets to point at a higher angle or to tweek the front of the Magazine lips UP to get the tips of the bullets to point at a higher angle?

·
Registered
94 Posts
I noticed on my new build(Aero Precision gen 11 upper,ARP 6.8 18 inch 5r) that the tips of the 120 Grain SST are hitting the feed ramp.
Would it be best to tweek the rear of the Magazine lips DOWN to get the tips of the bullets to point at a higher angle or to tweek the front of the Magazine lips UP to get the tips of the bullets to point at a higher angle?
From my understanding, you tweak the front of the lips up. Take your time and go slow. the lip should look factory, don't raise bumps in the lips. Go slow and check after every time you adjust them.

·
Registered
121 Posts
bcraig:

I ended up using a PRI mag as a template, and notched the front of my ASC mags along with minor tweaking/smoothing of the lips. Definitely improved the feeding.

http://68forums.com/forums/showthread.php?61145-Mag-Lip-Adjustments

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
I have had to adjust my mag lips to get my "longer than mag" COALs to feed as well as 150 Fed RN. Here is an example of the technique.

Flaring the lips of your magazines will allow the bullet to sit nose-high for reliable feeding. Flaring the magazine lips is done by grabbing the forward inboard edge with some needle nose pliers and rolling it slightly up and outboard. It doesn't take much and too much will cause interference with the BDG as it moves forward to strip-out the next round.

I have found that as the straight wall mags reach max capacity, the spring can over-power the flared lips and force the bullet flat again. I've only gotten the 25-round curved mags to feed reliably at full capacity.

Factory 110 S&B shown in the image below

I try and get the nose of the bullet to sit at least a 1/10 of an inch higher than level with a goal of 0.15". I use needle nose, grab the lip and roll it up and out. It doesn't take much.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
re

I have been looking at the pics and adjusted the Lips with my Leatherman,I also bent the mag spring so that it is providing an even amount of of spring pressure is underneath the follower.I also used my dremel several months ago to remove some metal so the case mouth wouldn,t catch on the front of the magazine
Still yet the Bullets are making too much contact with the ramp.The bullet is being seated into the case a tiny amount when Hand cycling(factory Hornady 120 SST rounds )
I would like for the Magazine to sit higher in the receiver for a more straight line shot into the chamber.
Any ideas on how to accomplish that ?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
458 Posts
I know this does not answer your question, others have.
When you are ready to buy some new ASC stainless steel magazines. Consider their 6.5 Grendel (I know Grendel may be a bad word in our 6.8 SPC Forum. :a24: ) stainless steel magazines.
GLShooter, Greg, whom is associated with BHW got me on to these with the American 30 cartridge, a 6.8 SPC based wildcat.
The ASC 6.5 Grendel magazines have run 100% so far. While a few ASC 6.8 SPC magazines I have think they are Ronco Jam-O-Matic's.
There is a difference in the length and shape of the 6.5 Grendel magazines feed lips compared to the 6.8 SPC magazines.

Here are some pictures for you of unmodified 6.5 Grendel and 6.8 SPC ASC SS magazines with S&B 110 gr PTS ammunition.

First is the 6.8 SPC ASC SS magazine.

Next, the 6.5 Grendel ASC SS magazine.

And a top view of the magazine feed lips. 6.8 SPC top, 6.5 Grendel bottom.

Something to think about the next time your in the market for Magazines.

Glenn

·
Registered
8,932 Posts
I know this does not answer your question, others have.
When you are ready to buy some new ASC stainless steel magazines. Consider their 6.5 Grendel (I know Grendel may be a bad word in our 6.8 SPC Forum. :a24: ) stainless steel magazines.
GLShooter, Greg, whom is associated with BHW got me on to these with the American 30 cartridge, a 6.8 SPC based wildcat.
The ASC 6.5 Grendel magazines have run 100% so far. While a few ASC 6.8 SPC magazines I have think they are Ronco Jam-O-Matic's.
There is a difference in the length and shape of the 6.5 Grendel magazines feed lips compared to the 6.8 SPC magazines.

Here are some pictures for you of unmodified 6.5 Grendel and 6.8 SPC ASC SS magazines with S&B 110 gr PTS ammunition.

First is the 6.8 SPC ASC SS magazine.

Next, the 6.5 Grendel ASC SS magazine.

And a top view of the magazine feed lips. 6.8 SPC top, 6.5 Grendel bottom.

Something to think about the next time your in the market for Magazines.

Glenn
Once loaded with 6.8 ammo do the 6.5 mags rattle when you shake them?

·
Registered
458 Posts
Once loaded with 6.8 ammo do the 6.5 mags rattle when you shake them?
No difference in noise between the magazines that I have.
I have the ASC 6.5 Grendel magazines in 5 and 15 round size. The 15 round 6.5 Grendel magazines are easier to load all 15 rounds compared the 15 round 6.8 SPC magazines.
I did notice one of my 5 round 6.5 Grendel magazines does not let the cartridges sit as high as the others.
So there are some variances magazine to magazine.

Glenn

1 - 12 of 12 Posts