6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not sure this is the right section to post in. It's not 6.8, long gun, hand gun or AR specific. So, I figured general discussion would probably be the best spot.

For starters, I'm not interested in preparing for doomsday, zombie apocalypse, or alien invasion. Just don't want to get caught like so many of us did over the last few years of ammo being scarce and not having much, if any, to shoot. Granted, some here may see that as being a doomsday scenario all by itself.

I've found myself wandering recently, how much ammo and what type should I have on hand? I know I want to stock up on all of my calibers, but trying to figure out how much of what types to shoot for. I don't want to end up with a ton of FMJ for the ARs, but nothing for hunting or SD.

I know quantity will vary for the type of firearm and type of ammo. Is there a good ratio for hunting/SD ammo to plinking/target/practice ammo? Say you could only have 1000 rounds total for a caliber should it be 50/50, or 25/75, maybe the opposite? I'm only limited by space and money (a lot of the former and a little of the latter), so it's more a question of which to buy than how much you can buy.

How much of what would be good starting point for the ARs? Bolt and lever guns? How about hand guns? Edit: Shotguns too I suppose...

In line with stocking up on ammo I've been trying to figure out how to store it. Factory boxed ammo I'll leave in the box, unless it's damaged or not re-usable (IE: American Eagle). The question is more about bulk ammo. I've got a can scheduled for delivery tomorrow, and will definitely be buying more. This is being shipped loose in a 30mm can. I don't currently reload, but plan to start and I'll have more brass than boxes available, so I guess it'll be the same. How do you store it? Leave it loose in can? Box it? Bag it?

Currently I'm leaning towards bagging it so I've got about a magazine per bag (IE: 25 for 6.8, 30 for .223, 10 most of the pistols, etc) and keeping the bags in an ammo can. The idea being that if I'm headed to the range it'll be easy to grab enough for a couple mag reloads and it'll be easier to inventory and track what I've got. I think it would be easier to separate reloads this way as well, should I ever start doing that. If I do bag I have read some people vacuum bag them, is there any real advantage to this? If not I can get zip bags real cheap.

If I do bag or box the loose ammo, what information would you put on it? Obvious are caliber, bullet and quantity. I'm thinking also include purchase/reload date, brand/lot for factory ammo, load data or at least a reference to it for reloads. Anything else?

Sorry for all the questions!

·
Registered
496 Posts
I reload and my plans are to have enough components on hand to make 10,000 rounds per caliber.
For pistols, 9 and 40 I bought berrys projectile and Winchester 231 powder, Tula primers. This part is almost done. I just need 3k more berry for 40.

For the ar(556&68)
556 im buying 65gr game kings, once fired lake city brass, h322 powder,and Tula primers. I just need to finish buying projectiles and brass.

For 68, I'm buying 2200h333 to use 120 sst and v-max. But I'm also buying factory ammo when it's on sale. Mainly 120 sst or 110 vmax to get the brass when I get done I will probably be 25% sst and the rest vmax.

I mainly hunt coyotes but in doomsday I can use 120sst or 65gr for deer. Since Johnny law probably won't be a factor.

Then I plan on buying 20,000 22lr.

I store what I have so far in their factory containers and load what I need. I have a room dedicated to reload which is hidden and cool and dry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
This ^^^^^^^^^!!!! Stock and store whatever feels right to you. Store it in a cool dry environment. Store powder in non-porous, light proof, airtight containers. Tula primers are cheap but I want better quality and reliability so I'd go with CCI. Otherwise, keep your mouth shut about what you have, how much you have, and where you have it. Not doing so is a good way to have somebody come and take it away from you.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
alphasig, thanks for taking the time to reply, though I'm not quite sure that it's what I'm asking. 10,000 is way more rounds per caliber than the average Joe would need during an ammo shortage, definitely more than I need. That much would probably last me the rest of my life. I'm talking about enough for maybe a year. Having reloading components is good, but I don't currently reload so not something I'm worried about.

Heinous typos thanks to autocorrect.
:confused: Wouldn't that require actually typing something?

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
alphasig, thanks for taking the time to reply, though I'm not quite sure that it's what I'm asking. 10,000 is way more rounds per caliber than the average Joe would need during an ammo shortage, definitely more than I need. That much would probably last me the rest of my life. I'm talking about enough for maybe a year. Having reloading components is good, but I don't currently reload so not something I'm worried about.

?
depends on how long Hillary stays in office :a22:....there is really no way to know for sure, any day something could change for the better or worse...just look at what happened with the green tip ammo when it was purposed that it be banned...you'll just have to look at your budget and make your own decision...no one can answer it for you as there is no right answer

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
depends on how long Hillary stays in office :a22:....there is really no way to know for sure, any day something could change for the better or worse...just look at what happened with the green tip ammo when it was purposed that it be banned...you'll just have to look at your budget and make your own decision...no one can answer it for you as there is no right answer
I was specifically trying to avoid that scenario. I think that'll be a doomsday for any one that owns a gun, or simply anyone that isn't tightly aligned with the democratic party's ideals. I'm more thinking for if Obummer should try to push for bans again in his last year and create another panic, but then a republican wins. If I knew what would be good for that year, then I could figure out for 2-4 years or more.

Well this ain't helping none. Problem is I haven't gotten much range time since I bought an AR, and have never practiced as much as I should with a bolt gun or hand gun. Because of that I've got no idea how much ammo I would go through if I practiced as I should, and that's something I really want to start doing. Guess I'll just keep buying as I find it on sale and hope I have the right amount of the right stuff when its needed.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I was specifically trying to avoid that scenario. I think that'll be a doomsday for any one that owns a gun, or simply anyone that isn't tightly aligned with the democratic party's ideals. I'm more thinking for if Obummer should try to push for bans again in his last year and create another panic, but then a republican wins. If I knew what would be good for that year, then I could figure out for 2-4 years or more.

Well this ain't helping none. Problem is I haven't gotten much range time since I bought an AR, and have never practiced as much as I should with a bolt gun or hand gun. Because of that I've got no idea how much ammo I would go through if I practiced as I should, and that's something I really want to start doing. Guess I'll just keep buying as I find it on sale and hope I have the right amount of the right stuff when its needed.
This is why I did not reply when I first saw your question. No answer is possible without knowing what is your shooting purpose are volume which you do not seem to know.

Simple answer is 2 to 3 year supply minimum on ammo if you are not reloading. In your case it could be 10 boxes per year. Only you know.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
You are right. I don't know what my shooting volume is, but if I wait until I figure out what it really is, it might be too late to get any. That was why I was asking for suggestions.

If you think 10 boxes a year might be a good starting point, that's great. A 3 year supply sounds like a good goal to shoot for. That's the kind of stuff I'm looking for. If the volume I shoot turns out to be less, I'm golden. If it turns out to be more, I'm still better off than I am now.

I'll aim for getting about 10 boxes for everything, and build from there.

Reloading is something I want to get into eventually. Only reason I'm not already is that I want to keep it outside the house, and don't currently have a place to do it. Don't want to plan for that until I actually start doing it.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Figure out what you shoot when you go for a day or weekend solo or with friends or training set . Add it up and add 10% it the largest amount. Multiply by how many times you expect to do it per yr . I know people that burn 1000 rounds a month and then go to competitions X2 so their normal monthly consumption is 3000-3500 round so 3800 x12 45,000 rounds isn't an impractical number for them . On the other extreme I have a friend that shoots less than a box of pistol or rifle ammo per quarter so when he has 500 rounds of CF and 2000 rounds of 22 on hand he's good to go for a couple of yrs .

As to bagging it up, I'd leave it however it comes unless it is bulky small packages. I would leave a bulk package untouched . I would use ammo cans as a new stock ,working stock and spent brass. If you break down a bulk pack I would tag it with lot ,description and open date .

1 major issue that comes with stocking ammo is the weight . Consider that 4 30 cal cans of 45 ACP weigh 117 lbs in the wire bound GI box. 9mm tips in about 94lb and 556 is 74lb if memory serves me. That is a lot of ammo . It also just added 280# to that safe in the den that was already 800# with you guns and there's a visible hump in the living room floor. That's just about 3000 rounds but only 800 556. So you see how it works out . 12 ga runs 3#/box ,10 per case, 4 cases per 1000 that's upwards of 110-175 # per 1000 . I used to figure a box a day for ducks& geese and 40 days of hunting for myself and 2 kids ,about 7-10 rounds each at the end of the season per day vs 30-35 in the opening weeks. Realistically I was looking at 8 cases plus dove loads and trap so 10 cases per year .

Pistols depend on the use . Really you'll likely never use 200 rnd of super man slayers but if you reload mags with fresh every quarter and have 2 Ca pistols with 2 mags you need 240 rd on hand + in theory 1800 more for proficiency shooting monthly . [email protected] 10 rd x4 reloads + 3 mags a month is 1840 rnd . Plus your stash do not disturb can.

See how quickly that adds up ?

God help the caster with reserves. ...........

·
Registered
496 Posts
I've taken to filling the large Cabela's ammo boxes with each caliber I need. Is it enough? I have no idea. That's just been my approach to answering basically the same question as yours.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Harter, thanks for the reply. That was a good one! I think I'm getting a better idea of what I want to have.

Have new scopes and reflex sights for my 6.8 and .223 uppers, so I took them out for a rough site in this afternoon. Used more ammo than than I though I would in the time period, didn't feel like I'd done much shooting either. Was loosing light fast so had to cut it short, can't get very accurate with a target shoot if you can't see the target. If I get into the habit of shooting regularly, I have a feeling that I'll need a lot more ammo than I think I do right now, at least for the ARs and 22s.

I'll try to hit an actual range this weekend to get them dialed in and will probably take a few other guns to shoot if it isn't crowded. Be interesting to see how much I actually use compared to how much I'm thinking right now.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Just don't want to get caught like so many of us did over the last few years of ammo being scarce and not having much, if any, to shoot. Granted, some here may see that as being a doomsday scenario all by itself.
I would say it's a good rule of thumb to buy as much as you can afford when prices are at their lowest.

I know quantity will vary for the type of firearm and type of ammo. Is there a good ratio for hunting/SD ammo to plinking/target/practice ammo? Say you could only have 1000 rounds total for a caliber should it be 50/50, or 25/75, maybe the opposite? I'm only limited by space and money (a lot of the former and a little of the latter), so it's more a question of which to buy than how much you can buy.
I have a bare minimum of hunting/SD ammo per gun. Once I decide on what that ammo is I start stocking up until I reach my bare minimum. Otherwise, it's the cheapest decent practice ammo I can find. Since I like to practice different scenarios a lot, I generally like to have 1k practice ammo on hand at all times.

How much of what would be good starting point for the ARs? Bolt and lever guns? How about hand guns? Edit: Shotguns too I suppose...
My starting point would be however much ammo I need to shoot to feel comfortable with each particular firearm. I zero my rifles with my SD ammo. I find there usually isn't much difference in POA / POI with off the shelf decent factory ammo so the practice ammo usually prints the same. I also look at my rifles as combat rifles and not precision rifles. You're ammo choices may be different for different rifles depending on what you intend to use them for.

How do you store it? Leave it loose in can? Box it? Bag it?
I store mine in regular GI ammo cans. My house is climate controlled and for me that is plenty good enough. I've shot lake city 62gr green tip that is 40 years old that shoots just like lake city that is 6 months old. Others may have higher standards than this, but I wouldn't want to be shot by that 40 year old ammo. How I store it would be determined on what kind of access I want to it. For Ar's, I know I can reload mags faster if I have them on stripper clips. Loose in cans will give me quicker access than if the ammo were still in the box. Loose in cans or on stripper clips is fine for me. It's not like my ammo is thrown in the back of my truck and shaken like a paint shaker on a daily basis. If I were to ever need it, I'm sure my ammo I have stored now will work fine for my lifetime. I am 60 years old now.

If I do bag or box the loose ammo, what information would you put on it? Obvious are caliber, bullet and quantity.
I label the ammo boxes like you say:

6.8 SPC
XM68GD
1000rds

As far as handguns, I treat them no different than my rifles as far as practicing until I'm comfortable with them. I don't keep near as much self defense ammo for my handguns as I do my rifles. I will keep the same amount of practice ammo. Outside of my concealed carry gun that has a specific purpose, I'm from the school, "the only purpose for a handgun is to fight my way to my battle rifle." Don't nobody hate on me for that statement. Everyone has specific reasons for the firearms they own.

In the end, how much ammo you store will be determined by what you are comfortable with. No matter what you do, you can never practice enough. So you'll probably be going through a lot of target ammo.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
I am storing mine in a cheap gun cabinet the ones that have cheap keys and cost under $100 when on sale. With shelves it can hold several thousand center fire. What is unique is a water valve on the top, if there was a fire the safe would fill with water, preventing the rounds from over heating and going off.

Firemen won't work a fire with rounds going off!!! They will let your house burn down.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Base your inventory levels on what you use and on lead time. For example - I shoot dove and sporting clays, but shotgun ammo is available so I only try to keep 4 cases or 1,000 rounds. 22 has been impossible to get for several years at a reasonable price and we shoot it often - so when the price was right I bought 10,000 + rounds. On hunting rifles, when I find a specific lot # my rifle likes, I tend to buy an entire case (200 rounds) which will last numerous years under normal conditions. On pistol calibers I try to keep 1,000 rounds of shoot-um-up ammo and about 1/2 that amount of quality SD ammo- per caliber. Note- if .357 ammo prices ever get real again, I will STOCK UP. This ignores any SHTF situations, where I would consider 1,000 rounds per caliber/gun to be baby step #1 in Dave Ramsey terms. Reloading supplies are bought in quantities to mitigate shipping and hazmat charges.

·
Super Moderator
11,796 Posts
Keep it simple. 1K minimum for every caliber.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
My post was a hasty attempt at tongue in cheek humor. I also keep it simple with a goal of 1k per "mainstream" hoarding calibers. I don't have 1000 rounds for my 30-30.... 22LR is a different story. 3-5000 would be a good supply there.

·
Super Moderator
11,796 Posts
My post was a hasty attempt at tongue in cheek humor. I also keep it simple with a goal of 1k per "mainstream" hoarding calibers. I don't have 1000 rounds for my 30-30.... 22LR is a different story. 3-5000 would be a good supply there.

Well, yeah. I don't keep 1K around for my shotgun either but it would be nice. I usually only have a case or two of 12ga on hand, not counting my defensive loads.

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
3-gun

depends on if you 3-gun....my local gun club does 3-gun matches at least once if not 2x per month...those guys go through some ammo!! a match usually will consist of 100 shotgun, 150 pistol, and 200-250 rifle for a 1 day match...for one year of matches that could be as much as 2400 shotgun, 3600 pistol, and 6000 rifle...with out any extra practice !! If you wanted to get through an 8 year term of a bad president....that could be over 20thou shotgun, 30 thou pistol, and 50 thou rifle........as I said, it depends on your situation and your budget

1 - 20 of 63 Posts