6.8 SPC Forums banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Other than costing a little less, is there any benefits to direct thread suppressors versus quick detach ones? I was looking at some Q LLC suppressors and a couple other manufacturers and was wondering why they'd even bother making direct thread ones if there wasn't some other upside since quick detach ones are only like 5% more. Is there some minor effect on accuracy? I tried to search around a bit and it seems a lot of people just suggest QD unless you really only have one particular rifle in mind for it. Also, how big of an impact is the suppressor length for shorter barrels and longer barrels respectively? I'm sure it makes a difference but do you all feel it's worth the extra length on the end to go for some ~7.5-8.5" can vs something like 6-6.5"?
When I first started collecting silencers (currently have 18 stamps with 8 more pending) I wanted to standardize my muzzle breaks, I chose the DeadAir KyMo, because I figured I would want to move silencers between hosts. As I found which combinations I liked, that silencer never came off. Now I wish I had more direct thread silencers. There is less weight involved with the overall system, and you get less tolerance stacking. The last 30 cal silencer I got was an Energetic Armament VOXk (4.4" x 1.5" diameter, 9.9oz) I plan on putting it on my 20" 308 AR10 and leaving it there. If I do choose to move it, I have an extra KyMo sitting in the safe that can replace the DT insert.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I agree with 68spcHunter about the standardization. I originally had several different suppressors from 3 or 4 different manufacturers. I was getting sick of having to swap mounts and muzzle devices and ended up not liking suppressors that you can thread the mount into the can. They always seemed to come loose or get stuck on the can or the muzzle device. So I decided to switch to Surefire and standardize on their suppressors and muzzle devices. I have been really happy with them, but I still have some rimfire and handgun suppressors that are direct thread.

·
Premium Member
1,085 Posts
I don’t shoot anything suppressed. I don’t see the point in spending the money when there is no place to actually shoot suppressed. All ranges require ear protection even if you are shooting with a suppressor equipped firearm. So I prefer to spend my money on SBR’s and other firearms.
Don’t shoot suppressed cause I can’t afford it right now. Hopefully in the new future.

I don't have one yet, but I kinda have to ask the same Q as to "don't see the point"... All i use mine for is hunting and fun... if I don't drop a deer first shot then that's on me, is a suppressor REALLY gonna allow me a second chance??? I seriously doubt it.

...and I usually hunt with other guys who bolt gun hunt so I've already had deer in my sights run off from their shots.

I just haven't been bitten by the bug yet I guess. think.gif

·
Registered
12 Posts
I don't have one yet, but I kinda have to ask the same Q as to "don't see the point"... All i use mine for is hunting and fun... if I don't drop a deer first shot then that's on me, is a suppressor REALLY gonna allow me a second chance??? I seriously doubt it.

...and I usually hunt with other guys who bolt gun hunt so I've already had deer in my sights run off from their shots.

I just haven't been bitten by the bug yet I guess. View attachment 57377

I do not know about deer. But, I have seen first hand hunting hogs with a suppressor that you can get a number of shots off. They have a hard time figuring out where to run and then end up either only running a few feet away or just pause then keep walking around. Plus I think that even if you are only firing one shot. If you can shoot it suppressed to reduce possible hearing damage, then that is good idea.

·
9,178 Posts
Hunting I use a suppressor.
Competition I don’t.
Suppressors have their place. And in competition they do not balance out the recoil the same as a muzzle brake.
But in hunting especially in a blind. They do make it a lot easier and can give second chances. And multiple shots on sounders as the sound is distorted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
1,085 Posts
I do not know about deer. But, I have seen first hand hunting hogs with a suppressor that you can get a number of shots off. They have a hard time figuring out where to run and then end up either only running a few feet away or just pause then keep walking around. Plus I think that even if you are only firing one shot. If you can shoot it suppressed to reduce possible hearing damage, then that is good idea.
Hunting I use a suppressor.
Competition I don’t.
Suppressors have their place. And in competition they do not balance out the recoil the same as a muzzle brake.
But in hunting especially in a blind. They do make it a lot easier and can give second chances. And multiple shots on sounders as the sound is distorted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Okay, now that was explained properly IMO.... I don't have Hogs here in MO yet... and I don't usually use a blind even tho we have several on the property I hunt on... I just enjoy a really nice double tree stand 95% of the time.
I don't take a deer shot unless there is "no excuse" for not hitting it... so a second chance would be extremely rare... PLUS, I always wear my sound enhancing Ear protectors... I've heard deer coming from serious distances.

I'll probably join the "suppressed" world one day and brag about it, but it's not a need ATM.

·
Registered
310 Posts
95% of my rigs are set up for suppressed.
If they didn't come threaded they went to my smith.
A couple of my really light contour barrels didn't get done.
Should be getting a call very soon to pick up another can.

·
Super Moderator
5,969 Posts
Okay, now that was explained properly IMO.... I don't have Hogs here in MO yet... and I don't usually use a blind even tho we have several on the property I hunt on... I just enjoy a really nice double tree stand 95% of the time.
I don't take a deer shot unless there is "no excuse" for not hitting it... so a second chance would be extremely rare... PLUS, I always wear my sound enhancing Ear protectors... I've heard deer coming from serious distances.

I'll probably join the "suppressed" world one day and brag about it, but it's not a need ATM.
With an estimated 40 to 100,000 feral hogs in Missouri and you hunting Perry County, you got them. You may not have seen them in the area you’re hunting but they are there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,085 Posts
With an estimated 40 to 100,000 feral hogs in Missouri and you hunting Perry County, you got them. You may not have seen them in the area you’re hunting but they are there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well yeah no argument there, a neighboring owner caught one on his cam this year and it was big... but we have yet to see any in person.
I'm sure they will get bad some day, hence why I said
If it's a year wait for stamp it won't be 2020 deer season now either, I'll get there one day...

·
Registered
46 Posts

I just haven't been bitten by the bug yet I guess. View attachment 57377
One thing to think about, downrange, typically the flight of the bullet and bullet impact are louder than the sound of the gunshot at the rifle. The animals can't distinguish where the shot is coming from. If you listen for it, you can actually hear the bullet impact before there is any visual sign of a hit.

LoneStarBoars has a video on YouTube showing what the animals hear when shooting suppressed.
MilitaryArmsChannel has a video showing that the bullet flying super sonic down range is pretty consistent in Db down range.

·
Registered
428 Posts
One thing to think about, downrange, typically the flight of the bullet and bullet impact are louder than the sound of the gunshot at the rifle. The animals can't distinguish where the shot is coming from. If you listen for it, you can actually hear the bullet impact before there is any visual sign of a hit.

LoneStarBoars has a video on YouTube showing what the animals hear when shooting suppressed.
MilitaryArmsChannel has a video showing that the bullet flying super sonic down range is pretty consistent in Db down range.
Many times I've had a sounder in a hay field between me and some large woods and we've shot a big pine tree on the edge of the tree line to get the WHACK into the tree behind the pigs to herd them toward us. Works great. Works even better if you take the time before hand and pick out the alpha sow before shooting the tree and then take her out first. No General in charge and the sounder will sometimes just walk around in circles while being decimated.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I hunt suppressed. And target shoot suppressed. Its just fun, once the bug bites! If it didnt bump me up in class, I would go SBR and run it on my 3gun rig!

·
Registered
67 Posts
I hunt suppressed most of the time just for hearing protection. I’ll take the action ears off and put em on as I can, but they can get on my nerves after a while. I shoot most comps suppressed. Not to be cool, just to not blow out the guys next to me. I can’t stand it when a guy with a break is shooting next to me. I’ve also found it easier to train new shooters the fundamentals of LR shooting with a suppressors because of the muzzle blast and recoil reduction.
And my idiot neighbors don’t complain (0% noise laws in my area) near as much. 1/2 mile dirt track 1 mile down the road raising hell till 1am but the idiots will complain about shooting on a sat during the day.
But after you get your first one, well. You’ll see.
They’re like pringles
DAF5198D-7D97-4787-AE92-BE8273D23ECE.jpeg 2625FA79-EB82-401E-BC05-E18A91CDCE42.jpg A8DF08A7-B3FF-4D28-909D-4064D55F06C1.jpg 84AB739D-B6B8-4E14-BB10-FA9E0F6277C8.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
None. Hearing protection costs a lot less.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I shoot suppressed most of the time, and always while hunting, unless I'm using a shotgun-- because I don't have a shotgun suppressor yet.

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
Only when I shoot my MP5SD. Unfortunately it’s the only thing I’ve got that’s suppressed... I hope to fix that soon

41 - 56 of 56 Posts