6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After getting my first can (and they do reproduce) I love shooting suppressed. Not all my guns are shot suppressed, but the number climbs every year. So what per cent of your shooting/hunting is done suppressed?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Supressed?

My first AR was a 16" 6.8, I got for hogs. It is an ARP build and shoots great. I hated that gun. It was so noisy, I couldn't stand to shoot it. I had Rick Kranz build me a 20 inch, ARP, barreled model with a target crown and, I love it. It shoots great, noise is a fraction of what the 16" one was, velocity is almost 200 FPS better, and best of all, it is a joy to shoot. It seems short and tactical is the craze, but too noisy to enjoy without a can. I am a serious coyote hunter, and may go suppressed to get more yotes, but adding 4 inches of barrel length, and doing away with the brake, is all it takes to make shooting the 6.8, a lot more enjoyable.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Every rifle I own that has a threaded barrel and is under 30cal gets suppressed. I was at the public range last week doing some load work with my 6.5-284 and fired the first five rounds unsuppressed in order to check velocity with my Magnetospeed. Slapped the suppressor on after that to shoot groups for accuracy and it was night and day. The guy next to me came over to ask what I was shooting and how to get a suppressor because the difference was so drastic. A suppressed 24” bolt gun with fairly light recoil is a blast to shoot, especially with friends who are suppressed.

·
Registered
493 Posts
If it has threads, it gets a can. 100% of my centerfire rifles wear cans when I shoot them, as do my .22 lr because, let's be honest here, there is nothing that can make a grown man giggle like a suppressed sub-sonic .22 bolt gun. I even duck hunt with a Salvo 12 in the 8" configuration on my TriStar Viper G2, and have even shot clays before with it on a KSG. Got some looks at first, but after shooting a round everyone wanted to try it!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Each rifle has a specific purpose, as do their corresponding silencers. Everything is shot suppressed 100% of the time. I am actually at an odd time in my collecting, I currently have a surplus of silencers and nothing to host them on.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I only shoot unsuppressed at my local USPSA shoots other than that they all have quick mount adapters for shooting with a can.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I love shooting suppressed. Top 13" SCAR 17s SBR, Bottom 12.5 6.8 SPC SBR.

Top 8.5" 300 BLK, Bottom 8.5" CMMG Guard Pistol

·
Registered
238 Posts
I shoot suppressed any time I can. I don't have any pistol cans (yet) so all of my non-rimfire handgun shooting is non-suppressed. Also, my best hunting rifle is not threaded (Browning A-bolt) but it may be supplanted soon with one that is threaded so I can do all of my hunting and shooting suppressed.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Most of my shooting is suppressed, and ALL of my hunting for the last several years has been suppressed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I got bitten by the suppressor bug back in December when Capital Armory had a sale on the AAC TiRant in .45 ACP. I purchased it and had it delivered to my local gun store and range where I would be allowed supervised visits until my ATF paperwork clears. Those supervised visits with my 1911 Kimber at there indoor range were all it took...

Since then, I’ve purchased a AAC Element 2 in .22lr, a Gemtech Mist in .22lr, a Tactical Solutions Axiom in .22lr, and most recently purchased a Dead Air Sandman TI in .30 earlier this month. I’ve got designs to pick up at least 5 more.

Its definitely contagious.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Only things I don't shoot suppressed are the big game bolt rifles ... that is chamberings from 338 WM to 470 NE, shotguns, and practice with my EDC.

Much easier on me if I can use a can ... so 22 LR, 5.56, 6.8 and 300 BLK, 7.62 rifles, and 22 LR, 9mm, 40 and 45 pistol are suppressed.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Almost 100% suppressed. 22lr all the way to shotguns and 300wm. Only thing I shoot unsuppressed is a few lever guns/classics.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts