6.8 SPC Forums banner

How long do you set your COAL when loading for the 6.8SPC?

• 2.26 COAL

Votes: 9 11.3%
  • 2.28 COAL

Votes: 22 27.5%
  • 2.29 COAL

Votes: 37 46.3%
  • 2.3 COAL

Votes: 12 15.0%
  • 2.35 COAL

Votes: 11 13.8%
  • 2.4 COAL

Votes: 4 5.0%
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As the title says how long do you reload for your 6.8? 2.26, 2.8, 2.29, 2.3, 2.35 or 2.4 COAL.
This has nothing to do with the recent long loaded 6.8 discussions.

Please weight in and add any additional information.

If you load past 2.26 SAAMI length do you do it because of your projectile selection or accuracy or speed?

You can make multiple choices as I know I do.

Thank you

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
2.295 since I only reload long boolitz (110-120 gr.). Just to theoretically get closer to the lands full well knowing they are still well more than .020 off... If I REALLY wanted to get closer and/or use even longer pills, I'd use a cut mag and be done with it. If I REALLY REALLY wanted to get closer, I'd mill a couple of bullet tip channels in the mag well.

Heinous typos thanks to autocorrect.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I load cast and 2.29 is as long as the magazine will take , it is also where the crimp groove is with my trim length to match the chamber length. I have a little wiggle room and could go as short as 2.28 but it works where it is .

·
Premium Member
10,781 Posts
I think most bullets show improved accuracy at 2.29-2.3. The Hornady 110 HPBT is one that does not.

·
Registered
276 Posts
110 hpbt, 115 CC, 95 TTSX; 2.280-2.285, 120 sst 2.295

·
Registered
2,290 Posts

I load my 110 ABs to 2.292-2.294. Sub MOA and 2662 fps.

I do this for
1. Accuracy - closer to lands
2. Pressure reduction
3. More powder capacity

I'm very pleased.

Now testing 120 SSTs at 2.295. 2550 fps. Still working on this one.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I just load to center of the canalure, and let it ride.

·
Registered
52 Posts
What is the purpose of this poll?:confused:
How do you intend to correlate your data?:confused:

There are so many variables that make your poll irrelevant.:a42:

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Not at all.

I load from 2.28 to 2.4 myself.
There is a very good reason to find out just how far out folks are willing to set their loads in the search for accuracy and speed.

Other good info is coming out in the comments.
It seems most put the 120 SST out to 2.295 or what most consider max reliable mag length.
I do concur with the comment made about the Fusions, they like to jump. I have found this with the 90, 115, 120 and 130 grain versions tested.
The 130 Fusion is much more accurate at 2.34 than it is at 2.4 COAL almost in the lands. Its even accurate at 2.31 in an ASC mag. So there is a window there in the COAL as Berger bullets suggests of .030 to .040 wide.
It would be interesting to find which bullets react to this and which don't.

Much talk is done about load ladders and accuracy nodes with different powders, we don't talk much from what I see about seating depths and their effect on accuracy. Some, however much more focus is put on powder load when I feel seating depth plays as big a part in the real accuracy potential of a particular barrel/bullet combination.

·
Premium Member
10,781 Posts

If you stop wiggling your eyes like that you might be able to figure it out LOL

Yama, Pretty sure you will see most are willing to load out as long as the mag will allow but not touch the inside of the mag. I don't think most will window the mags unless they really like to punch paper while they can't hunt. With the SPCII chamber very few of the bullets come close to the lands even loading as much as windowing will allow. I don't think guys hunting will hunt with a windowed mag so hunting bullets need to be set up for normal mag length IMO.
Accuracy at 2.29-2.295 is where I think it is...at least for volume of sales.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I figure i'm one of those average shooters, 99.9 percent of my shooting is at paper. i don't/won't make any modification to my mag, or mag well. i personally won't buy a special receiver and mag to shoot longer loading's. and i don't want ammo that requires 40 dollar mag to shoot in a standard rifle mag well. Constructor is right IMO, i just want top performing ammo in it's current configuration. And if anyone wants to play around with mags, receivers, long loads then by all means have a good time i have no issue with that.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I load mine to 2.285, except for the Speer Gold Dots which I seat to the bottom of the cannelure.

I have also loaded some Barnes 85gr MPG bullets shorter than 2.285, but as a general rule 2.285.

·
Registered
561 Posts
The majority of my loads are in 2.295 area but I do load out to 2.335 with a windowed mag,would go longer if the receiver would allow it. I loaded some 130 gr rem cl last season just to see how they would kill ,those was loaded at 2.335 which they shot very good for a hunting load. I don't load long for target shooting because I have no were to shoot past 200 yards. Where I live timber is king,trees will take over a cleared area in one summer lol.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I don't know why someone doesn't just make a barrel with a shorter lead. Wouldn't that be easier. Not super tight which would cause problems. Just a bit closer and caution folks to check distance to lands on shorter pills.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I don't know why someone doesn't just make a barrel with a shorter lead. Wouldn't that be easier. Not super tight which would cause problems. Just a bit closer and caution folks to check distance to lands on shorter pills.
Wouldn't that be "another" chamber to deal with?

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wouldn't that be "another" chamber to deal with?
Yes, it would be.
I think we can get better accuracy without going that route.
Depending on what ones individual needs in that department are.
There is a reason for these questions.

·
Premium Member
3,081 Posts

Yama, Pretty sure you will see most are willing to load out as long as the mag will allow but not touch the inside of the mag. I don't think most will window the mags unless they really like to punch paper while they can't hunt. With the SPCII chamber very few of the bullets come close to the lands even loading as much as windowing will allow. I don't think guys hunting will hunt with a windowed mag so hunting bullets need to be set up for normal mag length IMO.
+1 to this....

I like to let the loading process dictate the OAL, but with some bullets, like the 95 TTSX, we actually designed the bullet to allow the driving band to touch the case mouth in the area of 2.28 to 2.30" as this is where we see the best compromise of accuracy, case capacity and resultant reduction of compression and pressure. The Cutting Edge Raptor series also allows the case mouth to touch a driving band at 2.29"

Since I have a bolt gun, I load as long as I can and still get the load into my AR mags. That's right at 2.305"

That said, if I had mags that allowed 2.40" you better believe I would load some of my heavier bullets to that length.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts

My thoughts exactly. An AR15 chambered in the 6.8 is a good combination. I like to keep my AR15s light with a barrel around 16 to 20 inches long. Without getting into NFA stuff the 16 inch is the best. I have been playing around with a RPR in 6.5CM. The 6.5s pushed fast will reach out and touch! But there is no way I'm going to stalk up on a sounder of hogs with a RPR and expect to kill more than one hog.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts