6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

rings in the right place?
too far forward or back?

yippee my ar15perfraomance 18" upper has just came in and I need to mount the scope ASAP LOL

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Hmmm...

For me... I would move the scope and rear ring forward as much as possible.
I try to set the eyepiece as close to the back of the rear of the receiver as I can. In your case, that may be a challenge, but you do have some room to move the scope forward until the turret base contacts the front ring. Then reposition the rear mount ring just forward of the scope's power adjustment ring.

Your eye will thank you....

I have a long length of pull and shoulder the stock with my cheek well forward. A standard A2 stock for me is too short. My method of mounting may not be suitable for you.

If the scope is mounted correctly...when you shoulder the weapon with your eyes closed..then open you eyes...the scope image should be sharp with a full image all the way to the eyepiece edges, lacking any black shadow or dark "doughnut"... Not every scope will allow this on an AR upper and each shooter will shoulder the weapon differently. But that is what your trying to achieve.

Just my $.02...

Kerry

·
Registered
0 Posts
It looks good to me.....remember also each persons set up is different, and the scope usually only could move about 1in bck/forth in the rings so they need to be at a area where that falls into your desired eye focus.....
i like to have the rings spread much out as possible with the wright eye relief....

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
how does this look?

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
What matters most is how does the view look through the scope to you...?

Clear field of view and sharp reticle?

No dark areas on the edges?

How the scope looks in profile takes a back seat to how it looks through the lens and none of us can judge that for you.

The mounting looks secure and if it looks good to you through the lens...I would say you are GTG.

Kerry

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
owenslee said:
What matters most is how does the view look through the scope to you...?

Clear field of view and sharp reticle?

No dark areas on the edges?

How the scope looks in profile takes a back seat to how it looks through the lens and none of us can judge that for you.

The mounting looks secure and if it looks good to you through the lens...I would say you are GTG.

Kerry
agreed
it seems most people need scopes on an AR mounted further forward for proper eye relief (myself included)
if you look at a "target" and can quickly shoulder the gun and be on the target at both high and low power and have full and clear image through the scope without having to move your head, you are fine.... what works for me might not for you...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts