6.8 SPC Forums banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
13,890 Posts
Note that the gas port needed to be enlarged because it was used with the AA piston system. Every piston system is different and the port may need to be tuned to each brand of system. A.086 port on a mid length DI system is plenty big enough unless there are gas leaks, the gas block is not aligned over the port or is using a heavier than standard buffer.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I have built three 6.8s and did not like any of them compared to my Grendel. The ARP barrel does good to shoot 1” with 90s so I am going to order a McGowen 8 twist with standard rifling and go back to heavy bullets. I just ordered two more lowers to build out to an even two dozen. Like tater chips once you start......
Maybe your tampon needed changing , I've heard that can open up groups .

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Let's not turn this into a comparison thread. No need to turn to provocative statements. Maybe I'll get into other calibers like a Grendal but for just now I'm wondering how people use their 6.8s. Stay focused.👍😉

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Constructor, youd seem to be the man to ask about that A5 buffer system I'm using. I currently have the A2(h2) weight buffer in there right now but can easily change that weight. Like I said I just used it because I had it at the house but will change it out if need be.
I was figuring on having already shot the thing by now but now it seems I'll not be getting my mag or brass from CBB until the end of the month, ordered on the 13th so I have plenty of time it seems to change anything up.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Let's not turn this into a comparison thread.
Happens all the time on here. We will be talking about 6.8 and someone will mention how 6.5 does blah.

Anyway like mine is mostly for target shooting / shtf. I've been using 90 grain federal American Eagles. That was the most cost effective factory load i could find (bout $35 for a box of 50 online). Now that Im going to start reloading, i may switch to to 110's for versatility. Not alot of big game here in AZ.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Have 6.8s in 8.5", 10.5", 11.5", 12.5", 13.7", 14.7", 16", 18", 20" and 22". Have built compact pistols, SBRs, light fighters including Mk12 Mod O and Mod H clones, varmint/target in AR chassis, have Mini 14, Hawkeyes and Remington Police Tactical turn bolts. From compact truck guns, clearing kill houses/structures, general range pratice, varmint hunting, medium game (have friend who has taken multiple elk with his 6.8, all being single shot DRT kills) and paper punching. Have built D.I. gas guns, piston drive, with and without suppressors, iron sights, red dots, low power and high power glass, one with I.R. night vision, one starlight night vision and one thermal vision.

While I still enjoy my medium battle rifles in 7.62×51, 6.5 Creed and 30-06 watching friends older than me begin to have issues with recoil (I am now having issues with 338 Lapua Mag and larger turn bolts due to broken disks in neck) I see a day coming where the weight and recoil of medium battle rifles will relegate them to the bench only with a sandbag behind the stock and 6.8 will become my best all round (if is not already) rifle for defense and hunting. With 90 grain and lighter bullets indoors don't have to worry about shooting through an opponent and hitting a friendly. Stepping up to 18" and longer nice barrels 400 to 450 yard shots on ground hogs and coyote have become common and at the range my 6.8s out shoto most (90% at least) of the 6.5 Grendel fan boys which seems to actually upset many of them as they usually run mouth first rather than after a few grours at various ranges.

I own over 50 AR 15s in seven cartridges and have had ARs in well over a dozen cartridges over recent years. The 6.8 is my absolute favorite. Have medium battle rifles in 6mm Creed, 6XC, 6.5 Creed, 6.5 PRC, 7mm-08, 7.62×51, 30-06 and 338 Federal. Except for my high dollar 1,000 yard plus builds in 6mm and 6.5mm not much I can do with the 7.62×51 rack grade MBRs that a 6.8 won't achieve 80% of their capability while being much lighter and less recoil. If not for enjoying long range abilities of AR 10s in 6mm and 6.5mm most of my MBRs would gather dust in the vaults. The only thing 6.8 does not do well in my opinion is subsonic supressed. I leave that job up to my 458 SOCOMs, 7.62×51/308s and 338 Federals.

For the most part inside of 800 yards down to point blank room clearing there are few tasks you can't configure a 6.8 to do as well or better than most. If not I wouldn't have built two 6.8s to every other caliber build over the past several years. I still do a lot of training with 5.56 (especially run and gun action shooting) mainly because I have pallets of 5.56 ammo stacked up from 35 years of power buys plus 30% less powder and cheaper projectiles make handloading for 5.56 more economical. That said I am shooting more 6.8 than 5.56 in the field. My wife uses a 6.8 for defensive work and 7.62×39 for training because she is cheap and ×39 is least expensive centerfire ammo in the locker. We are now well over thirty 6.8s and always have another project on the bench and parts piling up for future additional 6.8 projects.

It will never replace something like a 22 CHeetah for shooting Prairie Dog and crow past 500 yards, 7mm Practical for 700 to 900+ yard south Georgia deer, 22 Hornet for 100 yard paper punching or squirrels and other very specific and narrow needs but I feel it's the best general purpose cartridge available at present. Every hog hunt I go on get odd looks from the AR 10 guys as most assume a 5.56 or 300 BO when see an AR but when the 16" ARP build with 4-8x thermal scope loaded with 110 grain Accubonds begins dropping hogs like their hit by a truck they start asking a lot of questions before the huntil is over.

Reactions: sfs13 and dfleury

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Have 6.8s in 8.5", 10.5", 11.5", 12.5", 13.7", 14.7", 16", 18", 20" and 22". Have built compact pistols, SBRs, light fighters including Mk12 Mod O and Mod H clones, varmint/target in AR chassis, have Mini 14, Hawkeyes and Remington Police Tactical turn bolts. From compact truck guns, clearing kill houses/structures, general range pratice, varmint hunting, medium game (have friend who has taken multiple elk with his 6.8, all being single shot DRT kills) and paper punching. Have built D.I. gas guns, piston drive, with and without suppressors, iron sights, red dots, low power and high power glass, one with I.R. night vision, one starlight night vision and one thermal vision.

While I still enjoy my medium battle rifles in 7.62×51, 6.5 Creed and 30-06 watching friends older than me begin to have issues with recoil (I am now having issues with 338 Lapua Mag and larger turn bolts due to broken disks in neck) I see a day coming where the weight and recoil of medium battle rifles will relegate them to the bench only with a sandbag behind the stock and 6.8 will become my best all round (if is not already) rifle for defense and hunting. With 90 grain and lighter bullets indoors don't have to worry about shooting through an opponent and hitting a friendly. Stepping up to 18" and longer nice barrels 400 to 450 yard shots on ground hogs and coyote have become common and at the range my 6.8s out shoto most (90% at least) of the 6.5 Grendel fan boys which seems to actually upset many of them as they usually run mouth first rather than after a few grours at various ranges.

I own over 50 AR 15s in seven cartridges and have had ARs in well over a dozen cartridges over recent years. The 6.8 is my absolute favorite. Have medium battle rifles in 6mm Creed, 6XC, 6.5 Creed, 6.5 PRC, 7mm-08, 7.62×51, 30-06 and 338 Federal. Except for my high dollar 1,000 yard plus builds in 6mm and 6.5mm not much I can do with the 7.62×51 rack grade MBRs that a 6.8 won't achieve 80% of their capability while being much lighter and less recoil. If not for enjoying long range abilities of AR 10s in 6mm and 6.5mm most of my MBRs would gather dust in the vaults. The only thing 6.8 does not do well in my opinion is subsonic supressed. I leave that job up to my 458 SOCOMs, 7.62×51/308s and 338 Federals.

For the most part inside of 800 yards down to point blank room clearing there are few tasks you can't configure a 6.8 to do as well or better than most. If not I wouldn't have built two 6.8s to every other caliber build over the past several years. I still do a lot of training with 5.56 (especially run and gun action shooting) mainly because I have pallets of 5.56 ammo stacked up from 35 years of power buys plus 30% less powder and cheaper projectiles make handloading for 5.56 more economical. That said I am shooting more 6.8 than 5.56 in the field. My wife uses a 6.8 for defensive work and 7.62×39 for training because she is cheap and ×39 is least expensive centerfire ammo in the locker. We are now well over thirty 6.8s and always have another project on the bench and parts piling up for future additional 6.8 projects.

It will never replace something like a 22 CHeetah for shooting Prairie Dog and crow past 500 yards, 7mm Practical for 700 to 900+ yard south Georgia deer, 22 Hornet for 100 yard paper punching or squirrels and other very specific and narrow needs but I feel it's the best general purpose cartridge available at present. Every hog hunt I go on get odd looks from the AR 10 guys as most assume a 5.56 or 300 BO when see an AR but when the 16" ARP build with 4-8x thermal scope loaded with 110 grain Accubonds begins dropping hogs like their hit by a truck they start asking a lot of questions before the huntil is over.
What an inspiring post!!

·
Registered
655 Posts
I have an A5 system on my 20" 6.8 (rifle length gas) and it runs great. This is a Stag 7H that came with an A2 stock and I wanted to convert it to collapsible so went with the A5.

This rifle is the least shot of my 6.8s. I have considered moving it over to my 10.3" or 12.5" (one of the 2 that gets used the most), but they both run just fine with standard carbine spring and buffer, I've never really put the swap as a priority for the last 6 years.

I have no reason to believe that there would be any issues with an A5 system on a 6.8.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Yeah, I now think it's fine on here. Like I said, it was all I had laying around for the build and thought, hey, why not. I like its feel and effect on the recoil impulse, I feel it smooths it out and feel not as sharp. I have it on most of my carbines and 1 rifle, my Mk12 mod1.

·
Registered
168 Posts
It all started for in in 2008 at a local gun show. Bought a Model Number 1 6.8 upper without knowing anything about the specs. That night I joined the forum and started learning.

Moved on to Stag and eventually my current Armalite.

I use my 6.8 SPC II on Coyotes and hunting. Hogs in Texas and Coyotes in my local area. Most of the time it is a range rifle.

Bill

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I know the 6.8 ammo is more costly than say 5.56
If you are talking bulk surplus like XM193 from Lake City and the many clones, then yes. Because there isn't any for the 6.8. The closest thing is the Federal 90 GD, relabeled now as one of the Fusion MSR rounds.

If you are talking about hunting rounds, it seems that isn't the case.5.56 premium ammo is premium priced, just like everything else. Having read this site for about 10 years, most use it for hunting. I put mine together for the original reason. Something more effective than 5.56 when you are not using a 20 inch battle rifle.

Reactions: sfs13

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
If you are talking bulk surplus like XM193 from Lake City and the many clones, then yes. Because there isn't any for the 6.8. The closest thing is the Federal 90 GD, relabeled now as one of the Fusion MSR rounds.

If you are talking about hunting rounds, it seems that isn't the case.5.56 premium ammo is premium priced, just like everything else. Having read this site for about 10 years, most use it for hunting. I put mine together for the original reason. Something more effective than 5.56 when you are not using a 20 inch battle rifle.
And that's precisely why I even started reloading for a 5.56, the cost of the premium rounds is just stupid, $75 for a few of the BH loads? Really? No thanks. I can and do reload loads that closely duplicate the perfor8of those rounds from BH and am very happy with my basic reloading skills. I'm able to shoot reliable, consistent, performance ammo all the time. I have several private sources for premium bullets, use only LC brass, CCI41 primers and while I cant use their powders I have, in several instances, matched or bested the ballistic performance of those high dollar 22 caliber offerings. I'm really hoping to be able to wring it out of the 6.8 too.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hunting and proving (showing off) the merits of the 6.8 SPC II to the naysayers.

Right now I have my AR set up for night pest control for TX. It's cheap but a beautifully precise shooter, however, it's a real pain to change back and forth to regular optics for daytime work. AZ doesn't allow any electronic scopes for hunting, day or night. I am seriously considering leaving it a dedicated nighttime hunter and building a better quality daytime gun. I know, I know I can always get quality QD mounts but what person in their right mind doesn't need an excuse to get another 6.8??

Reactions: sfs13 and Strawdawg

·
Registered
2 Posts
Gents,

Now ready to jump on the LWRCi six8 train. Looking for all-around defense/truck gun. I don't want the hassle of a stamp and SBR so I will opt for pistol brace. I can't find any good reviews or feedback on LWRC SIX8 Pistol in 8.5 vs. LWRC SIX8 A5 Pistol 10.5. Just hoping y'all can give your thoughts.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts