6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious as to what some of you do to differentiate between your AR's with different caliber magazines and ammo.

Here's the true scenario that developed last weekend. One of the guys at the range, a successful local CPA who got into guns and gear a few years ago and now has an impressive almost obsessive collection, loaded 7mm Remington Ammo in his 300 Weatherby Magnum Mark V. He fired the rifle and had no idea what caused the unusual explosive reaction from his rifle and why his bolt was stuck. He called over a friend (my gun dealer buddy) to help him. The dealer, a competitive shooter, and gunsmith, saw the brass spray marks all over the Mark V's action along with the brass colored glitter all over the shooter and around the rifle. He grabbed the ammo and yes it was 7mm Rem Mag fired out of a 300 Weatherby rifle.

The gun may have survived. It took them a while to unstick the bolt forceably. It's going to the shop to make sure there is no hidden damage and to double check the specs. Lucky shooter huh?

What do you do to separate your 6.8 ammo and mags from your 5.56 and other calibers?

·
Registered
307 Posts
I use labeled ammo cans for storage of mags and ammo. .30 caliber cans are usually big enough and easy to lug around but .50's hold more. The dry boxes that Cabela's sells are also handy because they have separate storage areas. It make it easier to just grab a can to match the rifle of choice when heading out to the range.

·
Premium Member
6,322 Posts
Me too. I use marked ammo cans for my ammo. My 6.8 mags are marked 6.8 and I keep it's ammo in plactic ammo holders because I don't have enough of that to warrant a can.

·
Registered
13,960 Posts
5.56 will not chamber in 6.8 unless you use the forward assit and a hammer and vise versa.
But to answer your question different colored mags and ammo boxes and
I must know my rifles a little better than that CPA, they talk to me..
"take me...take mee..take meeee"

·
Registered
170 Posts
I'm kinda anal about stuff like this. Shooting bolts I shoot 1 round at a time and always look at the head stamp. I'm in no rush anyway. Also. One ammo type open at a time. all other ammo put away.

Once I get my 6.8 done I'll mark the mags.

I've seen alot of blown guns and nasty stuff from wrong stuff shot in a gun. Nothing I want to go through.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've never tried to load 5.56 into 6.8 so I didn't know that. Stranger things have happened though. The biggest problem I can see is grabbing the 5.56 mags when you plan to shoot 6.8.

I've heard about wrong caliber loadings, but this is the first "live" one I've encountered. The guy is very sharp, so it shows it can happen to anyone.

Personally I try to keep everything separate in my range bag, so far I've only had 5.56 mags and rifles so the magazine issue hasn't come up. I'll probably mark them or have a different brand for 6.8's. I like C Products SS mags so if I have both 5.56 and 6.8's I'll have to mark them somehow.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm boring...I only have/shoot 45LC or 45acp pistols/revolvers [I do have my 22 Colt Woodsman Target, but that is kinda obvious ;-) ]. My rifles so far are 30/06, 308, 5.56. When I get the 6.8, I plan on buying different magazines (20 round PRI) only. They are still on sale and don't look anything like the 30 or 20 round 5.56 mags!!! I just try to keep everything as simple as possible.

Kelly

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
I plan on using digital cammo paint schemes on my 6.8's just not sure about taking paint to a 2500 rifle yet. I have noticed that guns with that paint scheme takes a few seconds for people to realize they are a gun

·
Registered
251 Posts
Our 5.56 mm all have A2 flash hiders, black handguards, and use BLACK magpuls on the magazines.

Our 6.8 mm all have SE Vortex flash hiders, tan handguards, and use TAN magpuls on the magazines.

Other calibers are similarly differentiated with different flash hiders, handguards, and magazine colors...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Color coding works for me. The only 6.8 I have is all black. So gun case, 1 painted ammo box and all mags are black for now for the most part by coincidence. My 5.56 has green furniture so green ACU case, green magpul mags, green anmmo boxes and all important gear dedicated for that rifle is in green ACU range bag and vest pouches etc. I am less organized with 308 vs 3006. Thanks for the reminder and a weekend project.
Greg/buellist

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You color coded guys have a good system. That has to be the way to go. And Doc mentioning different flash hiders and furniture color makes even more sense for the rifles themselves.

·
Registered
60 Posts
My safe looks like shit! The good news is because it's over stuffed! My project when I get home is to organize. I'm going to have to get all my mags, and high end ammo out of there but I'm worried about the ammo in ammo boxes in my garage with it getting 90 degrees in there during the day. Will this temp. ruin the ammo? I'm talking about the SSA and Hornady TAP?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts