6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made a reply yesterday about lubing and had a question. When a rifle is first built, where do you oil and lube? How much is considered running it wet?
I built a 223 with a wilson barrel with my Dad. One of the big heavy barrels. We are going to break it in tomorrow and want to make sure I can lubricate it properly.

I don't know what I would do without the help on this sight. Thanks everyone!!!!

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
You will probably get a lot of different opinions and none of them will be wrong. I like my AR's a little wet, especially when I first get them. I just lightly put Slip2000 or whatever I use on a patch or Q-tip and just oil up the upper receiver, BCG, and the charging handle and just leave it wet. Just make sure you wear glasses. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
441 Posts
I actually dunk the whole upper reciever in a 5 gallon bucket of Royal Purple 20w50 I carry around my neck while at the range. I do have to wear goggles and I seem to loose a lot of oil running from station to station as the bucket bounces off my gut but my gun runs like a swiss watch. Thinking about it maybe its bes to try Paulos sugestion first. : :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually I do run my guns almost dripping wet. I use a base of XF-7 grease and then a top coat of SLIP2000 EWL and only add the SLIP EWL as need from that point on until I clean the gun again. I actually have never had to add more on becasue of the gun slowing or malfunctioning but do ever so often as preventive. It makes me feel better.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I lightly coat my bolt and carrier after a quick wipe down of parts whenever I clean my barrel, its never dirty but then again Im shooting a rifle that doesnt crap in its action to cycle itself. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
7,373 Posts
I put a light coat of tetra gun grease on the bolt and carrier after I clean. If I am doing a lot of shooting I will just keep spraying CLP into it.

·
Registered
7,373 Posts
I am going to order a bunch of stuff you have recommended and give it a try, I liked the KG12 when you recommended that so I figure I could try some other stuff as well :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
What I always did was put a very very light coat of lube on the buffer spring and buffer. A very very light coating on the charging handle. A light coating on the Bolt carrier. Then when I was firing I would lube the bolt from the ejection port and lock the bolt to the rear, drop some lube on the inside of the ar and then rack it numerous times. This of course is done before inserting a mag.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I use Slip2000 EWL and, like Paulo, put on a coat with a patch or a q-tip. I also put a few drops in the two holes on the BCG as you look through the ejection port. That puts lube right in the area the operating system needs it the most, around the gas ring area where it contacts the bolt to the BCG.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Like Paulo said, I like to run mine "wet"; however, I use Corrosion X. This stuff is like sex wax for you AR. "Slippery when wet"

Careful though, not to get it into your barrel. I know someone who lightly coated their bore in it. Before he did that the cun was shooting under 1/2 MOA. After he coated it the groups went to hell, patterning like a shotgun. He immeidallt realized what had happened and tried to clean it out but it diodn't work. He had to run ~200 rounds through it before the groups came back. At $2.50 a pop that was an expensive mistake.

·
Registered
I got guns, you got guns, we all got guns! Free to the bone, please do not f**k with me.
3,648 Posts
Wow... You guys are probly going to look at me like a complete twat, but is there anything wrong with using just regular old Rem Oil and spraying everything down after a good clean? I should have joined the military out of highschool instead of staying a civilian...

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Bull00 said:
Wow... You guys are probly going to look at me like a complete twat, but is there anything wrong with using just regular old Rem Oil and spraying everything down after a good clean? I should have joined the military out of highschool instead of staying a civilian...
I have used Rem oil in the past, and while I do not mind it, I find it does not remain for very long if your shooting a ton, just my perception.

I know guys down here who use some brands of car/motor oil and swear by it. I wrote it down intending to try it but cannot find the note.

·
Registered
7,373 Posts
I use the grease when I put the bolt carrier together then while at the range I spray rem oil into the ejection port just to keep stuff wet if I am shooting a lot of dirty ammo.

Rem oil works fine, it does dry out quick though.

·
Registered
I got guns, you got guns, we all got guns! Free to the bone, please do not f**k with me.
3,648 Posts
Ok, i can see what ya'll mean. I do keep a can with me and i always check and am sure to keep things a little wet (that's what she said), But i think i'll start trying some other stuff. LaRue sends out this stuff called "Machine Gunners Lube". Do ya'll know if it's any good? LaRue has it, so i would assume that it is.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.