6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw some old discussion which seemed to say that the Hornady "LE 110gr. Urban Tactical Ammo" was a slightly upgraded version of the "110gr. V-MAX Ballistic Tip Ammo." It also seemed that earlier this year the ammo was tweaked which threw the previous results out the window. AmmunitionToGo has both the VMax and the Urban Tactical Ammo. It's about a $25.00 premium to order 200 rounds of the Urban Tactical over the VMax. Does anyone have any data on the current Hornady loadings to indicate if this price premium is worthwhile?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,318 Posts
Zippy said:
I saw some old discussion which seemed to say that the Hornady "LE 110gr. Urban Tactical Ammo" was a slightly upgraded version of the "110gr. V-MAX Ballistic Tip Ammo." It also seemed that earlier this year the ammo was tweaked which threw the previous results out the window. AmmunitionToGo has both the VMax and the Urban Tactical Ammo. It's about a $25.00 premium to order 200 rounds of the Urban Tactical over the VMax. Does anyone have any data on the current Hornady loadings to indicate if this price premium is worthwhile?
The previous version were identical. The new loadings, which use ball powder, are also the same except that the TAP versions have flash retardant n the powder.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info Paul, since I'm going to be using it in a short barrel configuration, that's probably a good thing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,444 Posts
So the TAP is the same velocity as the regular loading.

We need a combat loaded AMAX bullet. I think that would be the cats meow for cops that need to worry about over penetration but want to make sure the bullet gets the 13 inches of penetration.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
410 Posts
marinesg1012 said:
So the TAP is the same velocity as the regular loading.

We need a combat loaded AMAX bullet. I think that would be the cats meow for cops that need to worry about over penetration but want to make sure the bullet gets the 13 inches of penetration.
http://www.hornadyle.com/products/more_ ... D=76&pID=2

The vmax is just about the perfect round for LE use. The only thing it doesn't do as well is windshield's, but a magazine of SSA Accubonds will take care of that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,444 Posts
We can always use more velocity :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
marinesg1012 said:
We can always use more velocity :D
The VMax would be my favorite load to see from SSA. That in combat loads would be an impressive round.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
rcrandall said:
marinesg1012 said:
http://www.hornadyle.com/products/more_detail.php?id=72&sID=76&pID=2

The vmax is just about the perfect round for LE use. The only thing it doesn't do as well is windshield's, but a magazine of SSA Accubonds will take care of that.
I just picked up a couple hundred rounds of that from AmmunitionToGo. Now, if I had something to shoot them out of... :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,444 Posts
If you want some cheaper ballistic tips go with the SandB ammo :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,318 Posts
If Hornady stopped using the DPMS barrels as their test barrels, they would easily get 2650 FPS out of a 16" barrel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
paulosantos said:
If Hornady stopped using the DPMS barrels as their test barrels, they would easily get 2650 FPS out of a 16" barrel.
Wow, that would imply about 2550 FPS out of my (hopefully soon to be) 12.5" with 1 in 12 twist. Running it through JBM that would imply almost 1900 FPS at 300 yards. That would be a nice combo! :mrgreen:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
441 Posts
You will never see a SSA loaded with a HRdy bullet. Lets just say that would not being Hrdy's best interest as they see it. And yes its already been explored.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,444 Posts
Who makes SandB's bullet?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,444 Posts
Darn it..... I was hoping since it was green and no cannular, and that they dont call it a VMAX they had a different manufacture.

Who else makes .277 caliber ballistic tipped bullets?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Crap, Is the V-max/tap round really that poor against windshields?
I need "one" perfect duty round. Switching Mags is not an option.
My Boss has threatened to hang me by my genitals if I use handloads and did I mention it needs to be available on State Contract?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,318 Posts
Elvis said:
Crap, Is the V-max/tap round really that poor against windshields?
I need "one" perfect duty round. Switching Mags is not an option.
My Boss has threatened to hang me by my genitals if I use handloads and did I mention it needs to be available on State Contract?
No, the V-Max/TAP round is actually very good for a Varmint bullet. It just isn't as good as the Hornady 110 Gr. BTHP TAP bullet.

If you get a chance, download the following link and start on page 38 for the 6.8SPC info. The V-Max penetrates about 8.5" in the Winshield test.

http://www.hornadyle.com/_img/hornady_tap_report.pdf
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
410 Posts
If you can only go with one round then I would choose the SSA 115gr OTM or their Pro Hunter. I use the OTM. If you need Hornady because of State contracts then the 110gr OTM is better for an overall general purpose round because it is a little tougher for barriers.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top