6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up 4 boxed of Hornady CX 6.8 in search of bullets to replace the S&B Red Tips. But I was disappointed with how the CX shoots in my 6.8.

First two shots to check the CX POI at the current thermal zero (Red Tip). Then two shots of the Red Tips to verify zero. Same weather conditions with about 3-4 minutes between shots.

On the shelf the CX go. Until I can get my reloading stuff out of storage and setup I'd rather have an MOA varmint bullet and place my shots accordingly than a better bullet in ammo that shoots 4+ MOA side of a barn groups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,009 Posts
Also you might need to thoroughly clean all the copper fouling out of your bore from firing cup and core bullets. You can find multiple posts on this.

I looked at some 100 gr CX loads and they are supposed to be running about 2500 fps while Hornady Black 110 gr run about 2550 IIRC.

Reactions: Guts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Also you might need to thoroughly clean all the copper fouling out of your bore from firing cup and core bullets. You can find multiple posts on this.

I looked at some 100 gr CX loads and they are supposed to be running about 2500 fps while Hornady Black 110 gr run about 2550 IIRC.
Yes excessive copper fouling can adversely affect accuracy. Very good suggestion. But this barrel has less than 40 rounds through it. The issue is the load and bullets themselves in this upper.

One funny thing occurred when buying these. The gunshop had two stacks of Hornady 6.8 CX one was packed as Surperformance and the other as regular Hornady. Guy says the difference is one is loaded faster but stops mid sentence says nope they list the same velocities.

Well back in the day when Hornady first introduced Superforance line I tried them and they shot 4+ moa in my sub moa rifle. That wasn't an outlier as it wasn't uncommon with other shooters with Superformance. With that experience I bought the regular Hornady thinking I'd avoid the Superforamce. Nope. They shoot just like them. I wouldn't be surprised if during this supply chain they just consolidated them into one load, i.e., superformance.

In the future for fun I might pull the bullets and powder and work up a load with the CX but it'll be awhile.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The bore cleaning was probably not insinuating it may be fouled it was probably referring to how some bullet jackets don’t play well together . Often you have to get the copper out before shooting mono bullets .

I haven't considered that possibility. I'll get the bore squeaky clean sometime and try them again.

·
Registered
22 Posts

Exactly. I find I need to clean, soak, clean whenswitching from jacketed to monolithics. Then, it takes a couple of "fouling shots" with the new monolithic. Let it cool, and THEN test for group.

If I don't do that, I'm never real happy with original testing on monolithics.
KJ

1 - 7 of 7 Posts