6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is Hornady the only one making 6.8 Brass now days?? .80/.85 cent per each??
Maybe they can or will make us a 110gr SST maybe a solid bass 110 SST:a21:

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
Buy 110 grain S&B PTS then reuse the brass. Better brass and they don't crimp the primers.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Prvi Partizan is suppose to introduce 6.8 SPC 115 gr. FMJ and HP ammunition this year.
They usually then offer reloading components.
One can only hope it will come to fruition.

Glenn

·
Registered
80 Posts
Prvi Partizan is suppose to introduce 6.8 SPC 115 gr. FMJ and HP ammunition this year.
They usually then offer reloading components.
One can only hope it will come to fruition.

Glenn
it's on their site so i wonder when it will hit shelves

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
it's on their site so i wonder when it will hit shelves
Its been on their site for a while--- still haven't seen any for sale yet though

·
Registered
237 Posts
Buy 110 grain S&B PTS then reuse the brass. Better brass and they don't crimp the primers.
I'm going to have to buy some of this for brass. Just so you know and you probably already know but the Factory Hornady custom 120sst's also don't have crimped primers. This is what I bought but now that the S&B is out there when I need new brass I'll buy the PTS. Thanks

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
the Factory Hornady custom 120sst's also don't have crimped primers.
All the Hornady factory ammo I have purchased have crimped primers. When I inquired to Hornady, they told me that last thing they wanted was somebody using their ammo when their timing was off and popping a primer. That was why they crimped them and always would crimp them - didn't have to do with pressure.

·
Registered
237 Posts
All the Hornady factory ammo I have purchased have crimped primers. When I inquired to Hornady, they told me that last thing they wanted was somebody using their ammo when their timing was off and popping a primer. That was why they crimped them and always would crimp them - didn't have to do with pressure.
Weird because I have 5 boxes of Hornady custom 120 sst's and they do not have crimped primers. The Hornady Match bthp and the v-maxes I have are crimped though. I have to use my Dillon primer swagger for the Hornady BTHP and V-max before I reload them. I don not need to on the 120 sst's.

·
Registered
152 Posts
...would the s&b 110gr fmj also not have crimped primers? I was thinking to pick up a 200rd pack of em just to harvest the brass and if i got the pts id wanna save them for critters.

·
Registered
690 Posts
...would the s&b 110gr fmj also not have crimped primers? I was thinking to pick up a 200rd pack of em just to harvest the brass and if i got the pts id wanna save them for critters.
i'll just say the 110 FMJ's i've bought do NOT have a crimped primer,,, it is good brass and plenty accurate for most shooting. but if you want accuracy get the PTS. it's the same brass and isn't crimped.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Weird because I have 5 boxes of Hornady custom 120 sst's and they do not have crimped primers. The Hornady Match bthp and the v-maxes I have are crimped though. I have to use my Dillon primer swagger for the Hornady BTHP and V-max before I reload them. I don not need to on the 120 sst's.
I would venture to guess that those boxes of 120sst were loaded early on by Sellier & Bellot, when S&B was helping Hornady fulfill demand. S&B never crimped, and to my knowledge still doesn't crimp their 6.8 offerings. But after awhile, Hornady insisted that S&B crimp the rounds that S&B was loading for them, in S&B's produced Hornady headstamped brass. Do your rounds of SST have REM included on the headstamp? If not they were loaded by S&B. Here are pictures for reference... http://68forums.com/forums/showthread.php?44038-6-8-Headstamps&p=487942&viewfull=1#post487942

·
Registered
237 Posts
I would venture to guess that those boxes of 120sst were loaded early on by Sellier & Bellot, when S&B was helping Hornady fulfill demand. S&B never crimped, and to my knowledge still doesn't crimp their 6.8 offerings. But after awhile, Hornady insisted that S&B crimp the rounds that S&B was loading for them, in S&B's produced Hornady headstamped brass. Do your rounds of SST have REM included on the headstamp? If not they were loaded by S&B. Here are pictures for reference... http://68forums.com/forums/showthread.php?44038-6-8-Headstamps&p=487942&viewfull=1#post487942
I'm not home right now, but I'll check when I get home. Interesting. I bought those boxes spring of last year.

·
Registered
237 Posts
My brass headstamp goes as follows along the top Hornady and along the bottom 6.8mm Rem SPC.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Nswish:

My recent purchases of factory S&B 100g "green box", Hornady 110g BTHP (#8346), Hornady 110g BTHP American Gunner, and Hornady 120g SST appear to confirm your reference information:

Case on left is S&B 110g green box, middle case is same for Hornady 110g #8346 AND Hornady 110g American Gunner. Right case is from the 120g SST. As you described in earlier posts, it appears S&B is manufacturing the Hornady #8346 and the American Gunner.

Could this have anything to do with #8346 and AG both being 110g bullets as are the S&B's?

Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Nswish:

My recent purchases of factory S&B 100g "green box", Hornady 110g BTHP (#8346), Hornady 110g BTHP American Gunner, and Hornady 120g SST appear to confirm your reference information:

Case on left is S&B 110g green box, middle case is same for Hornady 110g #8346 AND Hornady 110g American Gunner. Right case is from the 120g SST. As you described in earlier posts, it appears S&B is manufacturing the Hornady #8346 and the American Gunner.

Could this have anything to do with #8346 and AG both being 110g bullets as are the S&B's?

Thanks!
Don't burn me too hard and hopefully this isn't a dumb question, but is the right round Hornady's crimp? I guess i'm just used to Lake City Crimps that have the four marks at each quarter mark of the primer.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Don't burn me too hard and hopefully this isn't a dumb question, but is the right round Hornady's crimp? I guess i'm just used to Lake City Crimps that have the four marks at each quarter mark of the primer.
dakotad16:

The round on the right is factory Hornady 120g SST. According to the excellent reference material here on the forum, it is Hornady manufactured.

http://68forums.com/forums/showthread.php?44038-6-8-Headstamps&p=487942&viewfull=1#post487942

Definitely not a dumb question!

:D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts