6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else had issues with the Hornady Black 6.8 110 gn v-max not having pass through shots on whitetail?
A little background. The original upper is a Rock River and the original barrel was their 16 Inch Chrome Moly barrel. After shooting several different factory loads i settled on the Federal Fusion 115gn. Very accurate and always had complete pass throughs.
Before the 2020-21 season i upgraded to a ARP 18in 5R 11 1/4 twist barrel and i have to add this thing is GREAT.
During that time trying to find FF 115 was a major pain and crazy expensive if you could find them in stock.
The Hornady Black ammo was around and not to $$$. Academy had it at 29$. It is very accurate in my ARP barrel.
I have harvested 3 deer with the black ammo. Two bucks and one doe but none were pass through shots. I recovered all the deer but i guess my thinking is there is a better blood trail with two holes than just one.

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
What terminal performance were you expecting on deer when shot with a bullet designed for prairie dogs? You did good to get clean kills.

·
Registered
380 Posts
No haven't tried them on anything yet. Did have one 143gr 6.5 Precision Hunter do it though. Wasted to much meat... Left the S&B slow and heavy Soft Points' magazine at the house, won't make that mistake again. I was expecting a 250 yard + shot and one was bedded and popped up at 80-90 yards.

When I am moving I keep a slow heavy soft point in the gun for that reason, and a fast tipped mag in a inner pocket to keep it warm for accurate mid to longish shots. Left the S&B mag on the bench.

·
Premium Member
951 Posts
Hornady site says Varmints less than 50 lbs and Personal defense. I bet it made a mess inside when it blew up. Dead is dead so I guess you hit where you needed to.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hornady site says Varmints less than 50 lbs and Personal defense. I bet it made a mess inside when it blew up. Dead is dead so I guess you hit where you needed to.
They are very accurate. And yes there was a lot of "blood jello" as i call it, lungs and heart in pieces .Guess i should have done more research. That's the reason im on here. To learn.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I would not have thought that weight bullet would be a varmint round so I learned something as well. :)
It was originally designed for the .270 Win. And while it does not always fragment as explosively at the lower velocities of the 6.8, it still can come apart.

100, 200 & 300 yard test results by Xman here, along with almost every single other bullet.
6.8 SPC Bullet Performance | 6.8 SPC Forums (68forums.com)

avcmichael, read this thread to help learn about bullet behavior out of the 6.8 at various velocities/energy.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
If every shot was a broadside standing shot they would be great . On the other extreme is the 120 SST ,it's jacket is very tough behind the groove which usually doesn't let it expand past the groove but the core often slips out and fragments on the far side leaving the jacket intact . Hornady does make an almost perfect whitetail bullet but it's only manufactured for S&B ( ptsp) .

Sent from my LM-K920 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
12,613 Posts
The V in Vmax stands for Varmint. They make factory loaded ammo for 308 in 110gr Vmax as well.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It was originally designed for the .270 Win. And while it does not always fragment as explosively at the lower velocities of the 6.8, it still can come apart.

100, 200 & 300 yard test results by Xman here, along with almost every single other bullet.
6.8 SPC Bullet Performance | 6.8 SPC Forums (68forums.com)

avcmichael, read this thread to help learn about bullet behavior out of the 6.8 at various velocities/energy.
I have read about a lot of the bullet/preformance in that section. Just spaced on the v-max being varmint. That section is where i found the Federal Fusion 115 gn. It's also where i found the Cavity Back MKZ and will be using them this coming Deer season. .

·
Registered
380 Posts
Hornady does make an almost perfect whitetail bullet but it's only manufactured for S&B ( ptsp).
Yes indeedy I like them both for White Tail or Mulies in the Creedmoor.

S&B 156 SP (2500+ fps) for out to 250 to 300. Past that I like the 143 ELD-X (2700+ fps) Precision Hunter. Hornady says no problem 0 to 400, but I disagree, it performs best farther out. I keep a mag of it warm for past 250-300.

I only use Hornady in the 224V, PRC and Creed, and the S&B only in the 308, 6.8, 6.5C.

I haven't ever used the 110 PTS that Hornady makes for S&B in the 6.8 SPC, and they don't make it for the Creedmoor. I would be willing to try the 180 in a 308 for Elk. Up high its probably good to 400 if my saddle rifle likes it.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Yes indeedy I like them both for White Tail or Mulies in the Creedmoor.

S&B 156 SP (2500+ fps) for 250 to 300. Past that I like the 143 ELD-X (2700+ fps) Precision Hunter. Hornady says no problem 0 to 400, but I disagree, it performs best farther out. I keep a mag of it warm for past 250-300.

I only use Hornady in the 224V, PRC and Creed, and the S&B only in the 308, 6.8, 6.5C.

I haven't ever used the 110 PTS that Hornady makes for S&B in the 6.8 SPC, and they don't make it for the Creedmoor. I would be willing to try the 180 in a 308 for Elk. Up high its probably good to 400 if my saddle rifle likes it.
Interesting , I never gave it any thought to whether Hornady made ptsp bullets for S&B in any size but 6.8 . I don't understand why Hornadys best bullet flys under someone else's flag .

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have shot quite a few whitetail with the original Hornady custom 110vmax. All deer were recovered with the exception of one. My experience was that the Vmax was a bit explosive inside of 100 yards and improved as the shots got longer. I did see lack of exits on larger bucks, but the normally didn’t go far. All that said, I have switched to the S&B 110 PTS as my standard game round, as I feel it offers a bit mor margin for error in shot placement,

Attachments

·
Registered
242 Posts
110pts is a great cup and core bullet for the 6.8. You just cant find the loaded ammo anymore..

My 6.5 creedmoors shoot handloaded 143gr eld x very well, but up close, that bullet would come apart to much. I have some 140 fusion, 140 grand slam, 130 AB, and otw soon 118 cavityback mkz.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Has anyone else had issues with the Hornady Black 6.8 110 gn v-max not having pass through shots on whitetail?
A little background. The original upper is a Rock River and the original barrel was their 16 Inch Chrome Moly barrel. After shooting several different factory loads i settled on the Federal Fusion 115gn. Very accurate and always had complete pass throughs.
Before the 2020-21 season i upgraded to a ARP 18in 5R 11 1/4 twist barrel and i have to add this thing is GREAT.
During that time trying to find FF 115 was a major pain and crazy expensive if you could find them in stock.
The Hornady Black ammo was around and not to $$$. Academy had it at 29$. It is very accurate in my ARP barrel.
I have harvested 3 deer with the black ammo. Two bucks and one doe but none were pass through shots. I recovered all the deer but i guess my thinking is there is a better blood trail with two holes than just one.
We use the Hornady 110gr vmax in one of our Barrett 6.8’s. Very accurate! But we’ve never had a complete pass through regardless of how close the shot is. My oldest daughter harvested her first doe with the Barrett 6.8 using the 110gr vmax bullet. See the picture below!
Hunting Deer hunting Plant Smile Military camouflage

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have shot quite a few whitetail with the original Hornady custom 110vmax. All deer were recovered with the exception of one. My experience was that the Vmax was a bit explosive inside of 100 yards and improved as the shots got longer. I did see lack of exits on larger bucks, but the normally didn’t go far. All that said, I have switched to the S&B 110 PTS as my standard game round, as I feel it offers a bit mor margin for error in shot placement,
I have taken 3 deer with the 110 v-max. 2 Bucks and 1 Doe. None went more than 25 Yards
Plant Grass Wood Fawn Terrestrial animal
Plant Tree Wood Trunk Grass

Attachments

·
Registered
8,977 Posts
Interesting , I never gave it any thought to whether Hornady made ptsp bullets for S&B in any size but 6.8 . I don't understand why Hornadys best bullet flys under someone else's flag .

The reason is S&B told Hornady what they wanted out of the bullet and then Hornady manufactures them. I shoot a 7.35x51 Carcano (a true .300 caliber) and while the bullets are made by Hornady they are made for Grafs as the name Graf is on the box in the bullet description.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts