6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just recently picked up a box of 100 Hornady (.277) 130G INTERLOCK SP

Is there a way to load these to fit an AR platform 6.8? The Hornady reloading book shows the C.O.L. for this load to be 2.355

The book also notes that these will not fit into AR style magazines.

I have NOT loaded any of these and was hoping to get some advice before I even attempt it. I have read that compressing the load can cause instability and that is something I do not want. I am fairly new to reloading and I any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Unless you cut a window in the front of a mag, the most you will get from a PRI, CPD, ASC is 2.30-2.31", even then it may not feed well.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Just recently picked up a box of 100 Hornady (.277) 130G INTERLOCK SP

Is there a way to load these to fit an AR platform 6.8? The Hornady reloading book shows the C.O.L. for this load to be 2.355

The book also notes that these will not fit into AR style magazines.

I have NOT loaded any of these and was hoping to get some advice before I even attempt it. I have read that compressing the load can cause instability and that is something I do not want. I am fairly new to reloading and I any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Those loads can be run with a windowed magazine.
Just make sure you check the distance to the lands in your barrel.

Hornady and Western Powder have both published loads loading long in the 6.8 SPC, with Westerns loads being at SPCII pressures.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Curious about your objectives. Assume you are new to 6.8. What are your purposes (goals) for 130 grain? Hunting, range, plinking, ...?

Normal bullets for the 6.8 run from 85 grain to 120 grain. Beyond 120 grain starts falling into special purpose and longer cartridge lengths than magazine length AND reloader experience (no published data).

Some people buy .277" bullets by mistake because the 6.8 is .277" when many .277" bullets are intended for the 270 Winchester and higher velocity. They do not necessarily perform well in the 6.8 for hunting (especially with magazine lengths) and not ideal for plinking at 100 yards.

Also some new to reloading grab powders and bullets not normally used for the 6.8 and ask how to use it. Highly suggest new reloaders (inexperienced) use the most commonly used bullets and powders for the 6.8 before venturing into new territory. Most published data is lower velocity SAAMI loads. Many on this site load beyond for SPCII capability and are beyond published data but you need to know what you are doing. Someone else's posted data may be near max in his barrel but unsafe in yours. Every barrel is different so just because his barrel is an ARP 16" does not mean it will be fine in your ARP 16".

(Apology to H, I am just using your barrel as example because so many of us love and use them).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the information everyone. Looking to have this be a deer round. Everything I am reading is that 120g will do the trick. Just got these rounds cheap and was wondering if I could make use of them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts