6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first doe. Opening day. 50 yard shot downhill. T/C Encore 26" barrel. Factory 110gr V-Max. She arched her back jumped a couple times and went down.
I should have taken pics after she was cleaned. The bullet went in took out two ribs made a mess of the lungs. When it went out broke three ribs and made a crater in the mud. Could not find the bullet.

IN

OUT

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Congrats. Lots of hunting stories here recently.

(NOTE: Stupid question alert :D :D )

I don't hunt, so is it hunting season?

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
paulosantos said:

Uhhhhh...no....

We just all decided to poach... out of season... at exactly the same time.... :lol:

Light snow is falling outside...it's 34 degrees...and Venison Chili Pie is cooking on the stove as I type.... Can you smell the onion, bacon, green pepper, garlic and chili peppers?

Kerry

·
Registered
59 Posts
owenslee said:
paulosantos said:

Uhhhhh...no....

We just all decided to poach... out of season... at exactly the same time.... :lol:

Light snow is falling outside...it's 34 degrees...and Venison Chili Pie is cooking on the stove as I type.... Can you smell the onion, bacon, green pepper, garlic and chili peppers?

Kerry

Why did I have to read this, now I'm hungry

BTW nice doe

·
Registered
7,444 Posts
Nice doe, these vmax's seem to be wporking very well for deer. Just wondering why so many people are using these instead of the pro hunters?

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
marinesg1012 said:
Nice doe, these vmax's seem to be working very well for deer. Just wondering why so many people are using these instead of the pro hunters?
???

My impression was just the opposite with a larger percentage of game recently taken with Pro Hunters.
So I went back and did a quick check over the past two weeks...

V-Max took 4 deer and 2 hogs by:

valvesinmyhead
new68owner
dk17hmr
m1p
klk

Pro Hunter took 11 deer and 3 coyotes by:

jadams951
aramark
houser52
jasonpeterson (4 deer alone)
owenslee
angsniper
moose hunter
brewster6514

I hay have missed somebody but it certainly appears the Pro Hunters have done very well. Nearly three times more deer taken.

Who did I miss who have taken game with the V-Max recently?

Kerry

·
Registered
7,444 Posts
No the pro Hunters have done very well. I guess I wasnt very clear, I am asking those who have used Vmax bullets why they used the Vmax instead of using a round designed for deer such as the pro hunter.
Obviously the vmax is killing deer but I would be afraid of that one shot where the round hits the shoulder, and I dont think the Vmax would penetrate through the bone of a shoulder.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Understood... I mis-interpreted your comment. My mistake.

The Pro Hunters continue to be very popular and effective for deer sized game. Although the V-Max has done well, it may be less forgiving on deer and best suited to coyote and smaller critters.

Kerry

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I have two in the freezer now. Another with the V-Max. Blew right through the deer. Same as the pics. After seeing holes in my 1/4" metal spinner at 150 yds( my 357 with 158gr XTPs won't do that at 25 yds ) from the Hornadys I think they will work fine on bone.

·
Registered
7,444 Posts
Congrats on the second kill, sounds like the Vmax is definitely working out for yah

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Valvesinmyhead said:
Well I have two in the freezer now. Another with the V-Max. Blew right through the deer. Same as the pics. After seeing holes in my 1/4" metal spinner at 150 yds( my 357 with 158gr XTPs won't do that at 25 yds ) from the Hornadys I think they will work fine on bone.
Another doe...or buck ?

Any photos ?

Kerry

·
Registered
589 Posts
Excellent! Nice deer.
The 6.8 does a good job on whitetails don't it?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
First doe was 90 lbs gutted and the second doe was 70 lbs. There is a ton of does on my Uncles 160 acres and have not seen a buck worth shooting to get a buck tag. Doe back straps are the best.
The V-Max has really surprised me in how well they work. My common sense engineering tells me the fps is slow enough that they won't explode on impact but penetrate a few inches first.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts