6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got off the phone with Hornady and I have some good news.

I initally called them about the short stroking issues with their 6.8SPC ammo and I was told they were aware of the issue and have the 6.8SPC ammo on hold. They are testing out different powders for it.

I also asked them about the 110 Gr. BTHP bullets that they were supposed to be releasing for reloading. Well, they are available. I ordered a box to try out. I didn't ask if they come with cannelures, which I hope they don't. Here are the item numbers for their bullets:

1. 100 Gr. SP: 2710
2. 110 Gr. V-Max: 22720
3. 110 Gr. HP: 2720
4. 110 Gr. BTHP: 27200
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
441 Posts
That is awesome!!! I guess they were waiting for after SHOT. I had called them just after the new year and they said they were getting ready to release the 110 OTMs. In regards to the loaded ammo issues. That's the Hornady I know. They have ,IMHO, always been the best of the large ammo companies at listening to customer requests. Glad to see that they have listened and recognize that they need to switch powders. Did you think to suggest they use the 5.56 77g OTM powder!?! That one will make there laods rock.

Thats again for the update. I am calling them now to order my bullets and a new OAL gage 6.8 modified case. It fell on the floor and against all odds I dropped a heavy piece of angle iron right on it. So now it is a pancake. I don't suppose anyone would know the thread pitch and size for it? It so I could get a tap; drill and tap the flash hole.

Thanks

Tim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tim_W said:
That is awesome!!! I guess they were waiting for after SHOT. I had called them just after the new year and they said they were getting ready to release the 110 OTMs. In regards to the loaded ammo issues. That's the Hornady I know. They have ,IMHO, always been the best of the large ammo companies at listening to customer requests. Glad to see that they have listened and recognize that they need to switch powders. Did you think to suggest they use the 5.56 77g OTM powder!?! That one will make there laods rock.

Thats again for the update. I am calling them now to order my bullets and a new OAL gage 6.8 modified case. It fell on the floor and against all odds I dropped a heavy piece of angle iron right on it. So now it is a pancake. I don't suppose anyone would know the thread pitch and size for it? It so I could get a tap; drill and tap the flash hole.

Thanks

Tim
That's the powder I suggested, but don't know if that's what they'll use.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rcd567 said:
Please exuse my ignorance, but is there anywhere else I can order these bullets? Cost? Thanks.
Just call Hornady directly and give them the item number. I paid I believe $20 per box of 100.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
441 Posts
Price on the bullets is quite a bit more. I just checked my email and I was charge $76.00 total. That was for 2 boxes of 100 and S&H. Comes out to more like $31.00 per 100. :shock: :shock: :shock: It seems quite high for them compared to all but the Barnes and Nolser bullets. I even called back to confirm. I was told that that is the MSRP and all there bullet are price accordingly. It was the fact that dealers sell them well below the MSRP. I wish Midway was carrying them already. :(

Tim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tim_W said:
Price on the bullets is quite a bit more. I just checked my email and I was charge $76.00 total. That was for 2 boxes of 100 and S&H. Comes out to more like $31.00 per 100. :shock: :shock: :shock: It seems quite high for them compared to all but the Barnes and Nolser bullets. I even called back to confirm. I was told that that is the MSRP and all there bullet are price accordingly. It was the fact that dealers sell them well below the MSRP. I wish Midway was carrying them already. :(

Tim
I have to call them up tomorrow because I don't see any charges on my bank statement. I ordered a box of the V_Max, HP, and BTHP and I was told it was $67, which I thought was low, but I just figured they had given me a discount.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They just arrived today. I paid $19.68 for the 110 Gr. HP and $18.56 for the 110 Gr. BTHP/WC. The V-Max bullets are $20.93, but they are on backorder. The 110 Gr. BTHP come with cannelures and you have to seat them to 2.245".

The 110 Gr. HP bullets are 1.015" long.
The 110 Gr. BTHP/WC bullets are .995" long.

I'm going to load up the 110 Gr. HP and 110 Gr. BTHP/WC with H322 and X-Terminator and test them out this Saturday. I'll do accuracy tests and chrono them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
441 Posts
YOU SUCK!!! :mrgreen: Why is it I am being charged 33% more then you!?! :shock: If you don't mind would you PM me your order number. I am calling them tomorrow to get some of my money back. I thought the price was crazy but the lady read back to me the description on the computer. ".270/6.8 110 grain Boat Tail Hollow Point with Cannelures"!?! I just figured they inflated them to make the retailers look good. Now I am not thinking so as the price you got seems perfectly inline with what I would expect. Send me that order number if you can.

Thanks

Tim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tim_W said:
YOU SUCK!!! :mrgreen: Why is it I am being charged 33% more then you!?! :shock: If you don't mind would you PM me your order number. I am calling them tomorrow to get some of my money back. I thought the price was crazy but the lady read back to me the description on the computer. ".270/6.8 110 grain Boat Tail Hollow Point with Cannelures"!?! I just figured they inflated them to make the retailers look good. Now I am not thinking so as the price you got seems perfectly inline with what I would expect. Send me that order number if you can.

Thanks

Tim
I guess I knew the super secret password. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
441 Posts
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
441 Posts
You are right its because you have a bullseye painted on you for a living they gave you a discount. :mrgreen: Everyone, I have found a place that has them in stock. :D They are also much cheaper, almost as good as Paulo's price. Here is the LINK. they are $23.20 per 100. Much better then Hornady's MSRP of $31.00 pre 100!!

I got Hornady to give me the LE price but I had to do some convincing. They were going to do right off as they thought I worked with you. But I wasn't willing to do that even thought we technically do work together here as Mods. I knew they meant LE. But in the end they still offered me the same discount but as a one time thing. They said I would have to talk to the Head of Sales to see about getting wholesale pricing for the board members. It would probably only be for 6.8 ammo components and 6.8 loaded ammo. But they did seem receptive to it. At least they were willing to discuss it. I'll see were it leads.

Tim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tim_W said:
You are right its because you have a bullseye painted on you for a living they gave you a discount. :mrgreen: Everyone, I have found a place that has them in stock. :D They are also much cheaper, almost as good as Paulo's price. Here is the LINK. they are $23.20 per 100. Much better then Hornady's MSRP of $31.00 pre 100!!

I got Hornady to give me the LE price but I had to do some convincing. They were going to do right off as they thought I worked with you. But I wasn't willing to do that even thought we technically do work together here as Mods. I knew they meant LE. But in the end they still offered me the same discount but as a one time thing. They said I would have to talk to the Head of Sales to see about getting wholesale pricing for the board members. It would probably only be for 6.8 ammo components and 6.8 loaded ammo. But they did seem receptive to it. At least they were willing to discuss it. I'll see were it leads.

Tim
Hope you are happy now :D :D :D :D :D :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm at the range right now and just tested some of the Hornady 110 Gr. BTHP with X-Terminator and H322 and the accuracy was not that great. Around 2" groups.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
rcrandall said:
Velocity?
I'll post that in a little later, but it was about the same as the V-Max. From my 20" barrel, I got around 2621fps with 28 Gr. of H322, 2651fps with 28.5 Gr. of H322, and 2692fps with 29 Gr. of H322. The velocity was excellent with H322 and OK with X-Terminator, but that is because X-Terminator is not as temperature insensitive like the H322.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
Gonna pick up a box or two to play with, I havent been shooting for a couple months now due to money issues but I am starting a new job soon and getting back onto my feet. So you loaded to 2.245 with 29.0 gr of xterminator?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
nf9648 said:
Gonna pick up a box or two to play with, I havent been shooting for a couple months now due to money issues but I am starting a new job soon and getting back onto my feet. So you loaded to 2.245 with 29.0 gr of xterminator?
I would load them out longer so you can get better accuracy. If you have PRI mags, load them close to 2.3"
 
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Top