6.8 SPC Forums banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
It also shows why a hunter should always go to where the animal when the shot was fired and look for sign of a hit. It pays to track them for a while if possible.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
It also shows why a hunter should always go to where the animal when the shot was fired and look for sign of a hit. It pays to track them for a while if possible.
That was done and there was no sign of a hit. I knew i was coming back thru there and would walk the brush on the other side. However in this case its a hog so who really cares.

·
Registered
582 Posts
9mm carbine for close range hogs?
3 hits of +P loads at 60 yards from my Marlin Camp9 carbine didn't work so well on an exceptionally large boar's shield. I should gone for a neck or head shot.

Reactions: 270

·
Registered
644 Posts
3 hits of +P loads at 60 yards from my Marlin Camp9 carbine didn't work so well on an exceptionally large boar's shield. I should gone for a neck or head shot.
Long story, but I had a situation where I shot an approx 160# hog with a 9mm pistol from about 35 or 40 feet. Full size 4.5" barrel with 124 gr HST. 1st shot to the neck just behind the ear caused the hog to drop on it's chest. Thinking hog down I lowered the pistol. The hog got back up. Second shot to the same area staggered the hog, front legs collapsed but he stood back up and started to turn away from broadside. Third shot to shoulder area. Hog flinched but jumped up over a small ridge and ran. I looked for blood or other signs for over an hour and never found any or the hog.

Any one of those rounds would have put a man down.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Possibly due to +P and carbine barrel cause more expansion and less penetration (due to the added expansion). If i was going to shoot that for hogs I'd try the lehigh extreme penetrator bullets. Did you ever find it?

·
Registered
582 Posts
Possibly due to +P and carbine barrel cause more expansion and less penetration (due to the added expansion). If i was going to shoot that for hogs I'd try the lehigh extreme penetrator bullets. Did you ever find it?
I was using DoubleTap's +P 147gr FMJ flat nose. I walked acrossed an open field and the hog started to wind me. In the excitement I went for a heart/lung shot instead of a head/neck shot. My first shot dropped it, it kicked a bit and jumped back up. I hit it again, knocking it down. It jumped back up again and went full throttle to the tree line where I got another shot, but it kept going. Found a bits of hair from all three shots but no blood. We looked for some time and even called my buddy with a calahua but found nothing else.

A couple weeks later the same hog may have been shot by the ranch-hand. He said live weight was over 300 lb. He claimed he found three 9mm rounds, two in the shield and one made it through the shield but was stuck in a rib. I was not there and the ranch manager never saw it either so nothing was verified. I do think his story to be a bit embellished to total BS. When I pressed him for details, like what the bullets looked like, he couldn't remember.

Reactions: sfs13

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Yeah FMJ might be best for earholin em. I had a similar experience with a 180lb sow and the same 9mm handgun. Poor shot placement on a running hog didn't help though. I definitely would not recommend a 9mm for bigger hogs.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts