6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Old Man and I are wanting to get out and shoot some piggies this fall/winter, and we are starting to do some research as to where would be the best location/ranch to go. I've looked at many ranches online and most of them seem to charge cleaning fees/trophy fees or even fees by the pound. Does anyone know any good places to go that do not charge these? We would be traveling from UT. We just want to fill the cooler and help the local area get rid of these problem pigs. We both have suppressed ARs in 6.8spc 6.5Grendel and 308win, No NV or Thermal tho, We are fine with hunting from blinds over feeders, and like the idea of shooting at night with some sort of WML. We could also have a party of up to around 6 hunters if the accommodations would allow it.

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
Check Spike Box Ranch in Texas. I have hunted there a few times. As a matter of fact, we are going back again in January. I spoke to our favorite guide a couple days ago....pigs have been eating and breeding undisturbed for the last few months. PM me if you decide to book with them and I will give you the name of the guide you want to ask for. I have NO financial interest in this in any way.

AzCasper

·
Registered
273 Posts
I know a few guys that offer dog hunts and NV hunts. Depends on what you want to do. They are good old boys and honest. NE Texas by Greenville. PM me if you want their info.

TC

·
Registered
31 Posts
Before COVID19 hit, I too was looking for a hog hunting destination "on the cheap" you could say. My thought process was that if hogs were as bad as everyone says they are and farmers and ranchers really wanted them shot on sight and the population controlled, that it would be easy to find a hunting destination where the cost for the hunt would be fairly low - some sort of hunting license and maybe a small (around $100) trespass fee at the most and then kill as many hogs as you can find. But after hours of research in the Texas/Oklahoma/Arkansas areas, I couldn't find anyplace you could go where the fees you talk about were not in place. Minimum seemed to be around $500 for one hog and additional fees if you wanted more than one - not counting any license that was required or guide tips or processing fee. By the time I traveled somewhere and incurred the travel expense along with the license fee, hog fee, tips, processing, etc. I could buy a hog from a farmer, have it butchered, and fill my freezer with it and come out money ahead. I guess I am old school in my thinking that one of the major benefits of hunting is to fill your freezer CHEAPER than buying the meat from the grocery store/butcher shop. As far as I could determine, getting it cheaper by hunting wild hogs in a state where you do not reside on land that is not yours isn't possible. If you happen to live in a state that has wild hogs and can hunt on your own land or a friend or family's land then you probably can do it cheaper. But other than that, I haven't found a way to make it happen without spending as much as buying a domestic hog locally and having it butchered. Yes, the experience of the hunt does hold some value over just buying a domestic hog and having it butchered but their is a limit (in my mind anyway) as to how much actual money that experience is worth. If I have to drop close to $1000 then it isn't worth it to me. Half that much (all expenses including travel, license fee, guide/trespass fee, tips, and no limit on number of hogs shot so I can shoot several small ones that are better eating - not interested in a "trophy") would be a price point I would pull the trigger (pun intended) on a hunt. I would be willing to pay extra for the processing if all the other expenses weren't over $500 or would just process them myself if they were fairly small ones. I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that I won't ever find a hunt that meets my criteria for price. I also think that people wanting wild hogs eradicated is overstated. If they are selling hunts for the prices they are asking (which they appear to be doing), they will want wild hogs to exist forever and keep that revenue stream going. They definitely don't want them all gone.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have to agree with Double 20 ... I grew up on a farm and know there are crappy hunters .. BUT the damage hogs do is incredible.. But these ranchers and guide services are extorting hunters. Wild life services want hogs gone .

·
Registered
62 Posts
If it was me, I would look for a ranch in Texas that did NVG or thermal hunts (and supplied the gear). Those look like so much fun!

·
Registered
845 Posts
I have to agree with Double 20 ... I grew up on a farm and know there are crappy hunters .. BUT the damage hogs do is incredible.. But these ranchers and guide services are extorting hunters. Wild life services want hogs gone .
I tried playing that game several years ago. Stopped to talk to the rancher. Showed him my VA medical card, told him I was a disabled Vet. Offered $100 , leave my wallet with ID, credit cards, keys in my new truck as collateral. I was told $400 per night. Went to the next ranch same scenario. Told $400 per night again. I posted it on this forum and got roasted by the 3 or 4 that do hog eradication. "Don't know you." "Sounds reasonable." I said it then and I'll say it now. I hope the hogs destroy their crops and pass deadly diseases to their calves. Go ahead and roast me again. I've got thick skin.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
GA DNR has some sort of "help a farmer" deal you can register for. I did a few years ago but have never heard anything, guess they're doing ok🤨

·
Registered
273 Posts
Something that you might want to think about (given all of the opinions on this matter). If you find a ranch, you will more than likely pay all the fees that you mentioned that you do not want to pay. Any ranch that can accommodate 6 hunters will come with all the fees. There are skinning fees, transportation fees, additional hog fees, trophy fees, and I rented you a light fee. When you go the "ranch" route - its just fee after fee after fee after fee.

You may need to consider paying more than you planned to or you can search for hunts on Craigslist (because there are plenty). If you go Craigslist - proceed with caution so some scoundrel doesn't burn you. I have met numerous good guys off of Craigslist. As a general rule, you get a better deal if you go do it yourself. That means your own transportation, your own skinning, your own water, your own food, and your own lodging. It all adds up somehow. There are still good guys on Craigslist that practice - no kill - no charge. That's always a good thing in my book.

I have hunted Texas for a number years and I lived there, too. You have to get in with the locals or spend some time in order to find what you are looking for. There are landowners that will let you hunt but you have to be there to meet them. My co-worker inherited some land and she introduced me to her family. They knew a lot of folks and they let me hunt. It takes time & effort. I live in Nebraska and hunted in Texas.

TC

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Sadly the age of going up to the closest ranch house and asking for permission to hunt jackrabbits n hogs is long gone. Friendly ranch folks would ask a few questions and even give us 22 LR ammo.

Now.........the age of law suits, vandalism, and city bandits have turned the landowners into self-protective isolationists. One decent calf or cow will cost the ranchers.....$600+ profit off the top. City bandits have learned to drive around the ranch land until they find cattle that will come close to the fence (hoping for food), kill one, cut the fence and steal the ranchers profit. That's not mentioning the crappy shooters who wound 3 cattle before they finally kill one close enough to drag out. Plus, the landowner will get a call from the Sheriff and have to get out of bed, round up all the cattle that wondered off the pasture and repair the fence, before someone hits one in the middle of the road. That means a lawsuit which again drains off meager profit margin. Not many ranchers haven't had this thieving happen.

For positive results, for best results..........recommend you ask a few of the members here....which hog hunt for pay company will put you on the hogs. And, yes.....the usual charges/fees will include skinning fees, guide fees and numerous added little fees. If you don't know someone now, you won't be able to locate an inexpensive hunt.
I have tried for 20 years to find a "desperate farmer/rancher" wanting to get rid of hogs in exchange for my gratitude and a share of a field dressed hog. I am still looking.

·
Registered
177 Posts
We hunt a ranch in south central TX. It is a small, mostly a do-it-yourself kind of place, at reasonable prices. Don't expect much amenities, some will find it too rustic. You basically rent the old Ranch House with bunks. No cook, bring your own food. No guides, dress your own animals. They have a limited number of exotics if you want to go that route. They even have a couple small fishing ponds. It is kind of a throwback to the hunting camp of the last century Texas style.

If you are just after hogs, the hunting may not be great right now. We were down there a couple months ago and did some serious hog eradication (not an overstatement) as well as, put a dent in the Barbary sheep and bobcat population.

If you are interested, PM me for more information.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I just spoke with my contact at the ranch, they have decided to no longer offer hog only hunts. The exotics and whitetail hunts are still available. Hogs, coyotes and bobcats can still be taken for free only when paying for the whitetail/exotics hunts.

I apologize for any inconvenience.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts