6.8 SPC Forums banner
41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
Here in FL they still run dogs on deer and hogs, we do not allow them on out lease and will shoot any we see.

·
Registered
356 Posts
We shoot them on site all year long. I would not wish them on anyone. They are a nuisance and destroy everything in there path. As far as dogs we let the hog hunters on our property two to three times a year just to move them to other leases. Some dogs get cut up some dogs are DRT it is sad but it happens all the time. Hogs just like people have different temperament some run and get bayed and stabbed or shot or what every way they are killing them that day. Some are just down right mean the bite the dogs, slash them with there cutters and get away.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
Wawaldo, our land is all pines and no farming or cattle so we treat them as another game animal. Now that the Mormans bought all the St Joe timberland making them the largest private land owner in FL we are not sure what to expect. I am guessing our leases are in jeopardy as is the way we do business. Time will tell when the sale closes in the 1st quarter of next year.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
HTR's advise is right is on the money. My preference is allways right behind the ear if the opportunity presents its self. I dropped a 75# sow a couple of yeas ago from 70 yards with a 22 Win mag and 33 grain accutip she was dead before she hit the ground. There was about a 200# red boar standing just behind her but didn't want to take the chance of wounding and pissing it off with a rimfire.

·
Super Moderator
12,613 Posts
I never really understood of folks running dogs for pigs because of the risk of injuring the dog. Sure, it's a thrill, but to me it's quicker and easier to call .270 than it is to call the vet if something goes awry :)

As for pig anatomy, HTR hit it spot-on.
My family has used dogs to hunt hogs for several generations in Florida. If you know what you are doing it is pretty rare that a dog gets hurt. They may get a cut once in a while but it is pretty easy to fix with some dermabond. If you run a few bulldog/hound mixed curs in with your trail dogs and teach them to catch and hold the hogs, all you have to do is grab them by the hind legs and flip them on their backs. Then you can either cut their throats or cut their nuts and let them go. How is this any more inhumane than trapping an animal in a live trap and letting freeze or starve to death just to get the fur? Which I am also ok with BTW. Hunting dogs are tools, just about like sled dogs. Is it wrong to use dogs to pull sleds? You reckon any of them ever get injured?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Cant wait to drill a hog!

I am working on the planning for a hog hunting trip to Texas in the Fall. This is a great thread and like many have said here, I guess I will have to "retrain" where I would normally shoot a game animal when shooting hogs. Gonna get or make some Hog silhouette targets and practice proper hits in the spine location. You guys are great and thanks for all the advice! Planning on using 95gr TTSX loads, should do the job well I hope right?

Reactions: Ticonderoga

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
95TTSX will do perfect, especially if you already have your rifle dialed in for that load, and know how accurately it shoots out of your rifle.

When I shoot at a hog, I draw an imaginary line from the ear to the shoulder blade. Anywhere on that line will be a kill shot, as you'll hit either the vitals, the spine, or the brain.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Cleaned a buttload or two out of traps and almost that many on the loose.

In a trap:
Kick the trap or bang on it to make them look at you.
Imagine an "X" running from right ear, left eye and left ear to right eye.
A .22LR at the intersection is lights out.
Won't look at you?
Put the same round behind the ear. Same effect.

I shoot hogs just like I do a deer. A tad high (1"/1.5") from dead center of the shoulder. The spine runs between the top of the two scapula. Severs the spine and the CNS. Drop on the spot. D.I.R.T. (dead, instantly, right there)

No brag, just fact.
Three of the last 4 feral pigs I've killed were with my 6.8mm Rem SPC with handloaded Sierra 90gr HP! The last fell to a handloaded Hornady 110gr VMX.

Running shots?
Just punch holes and pray for rain! LOL!

·
Registered
166 Posts
I loves me some hog shooting. I like to bean them right in the head & watch them flop a while. Makes the meat taste better from all that self tenderizing they do. Got these with a 70 gn Speer sp bullet handload outta the AR -15.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

41 - 59 of 59 Posts