6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,081 Posts
That's a pretty good guide.

I tell hunters to try one of two shots, depedning upon the opportunity:

1) most deadly, IMO, is to shoot the pig in the brainstem, and break the spinal column, at the level of about C5 - C 6. This would simply be about 2-3 inches horizontally aft of the ear. You have about 3-4 inches of "vital zone" margin of error here, as a good bullet will still break the neck if a little high, and sever the carotid artery, if a little low. Paralysis of the entire body down will occur if the neck is broken, and the brain can only survive for a minute or two if the carotid is severed.

2) Low on the shoulder. The Scapula is thinner at the bottom than the top, and the heart sits right at the crease of the axilla (analagous to the "armpit" ) Anywhere you hit the animal low in the shoulder will get the lungs and / or heart. This shot carries a lower % ratio than # 1, because heart shot hogs can still run 100-200 yards, and it just hit in the lungs, might go miles.....believe it.

Edit:

While I don't recommend it, while driving around the ranch, I have shot hogs with .22 LR, low in the crease behind the shoulder (right in the heart) and watched them run out of steam in about 175 yards, then lay down and die. (this area is very soft and actually relatively unprotected, which is why "dog hunters" can knife them there). Sometimes you run across them, when you expect to see a Skunk : /

·
Registered
7,373 Posts
shots where HTR tells you will put them down, I dont know if I wounded any others while I was there, the only one that dropped was the one into the neck.....

Reactions: Ticonderoga

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
If my retarded IPhone would sync with ITunes I could show y'all some pictures...

·
Registered
130 Posts
That's a pretty good guide.

I tell hunters to try one of two shots, depedning upon the opportunity:

1) most deadly, IMO, is to shoot the pig in the brainstem, and break the spinal column, at the level of about C5 - C 6. This would simply be about 2-3 inches horizontally aft of the ear. You have about 3-4 inches of "vital zone" margin of error here, as a good bullet will still break the neck if a little high, and sever the carotid artery, if a little low. Paralysis of the entire body down will occur if the neck is broken, and the brain can only survive for a minute or two if the carotid is severed.

2) Low on the shoulder. The Scapula is thinner at the bottom than the top, and the heart sits right at the crease of the axilla (analagous to the "armpit" ) Anywhere you hit the animal low in the shoulder will get the lungs and / or heart. This shot carries a lower % ratio than # 1, because heart shot hogs can still run 100-200 yards, and it just hit in the lungs, might go miles.....believe it.

Edit:

While I don't recommend it, while driving around the ranch, I have shot hogs with .22 LR, low in the crease behind the shoulder (right in the heart) and watched them run out of steam in about 175 yards, then lay down and die. (this area is very soft and actually relatively unprotected, which is why "dog hunters" can knife them there). Sometimes you run across them, when you expect to see a Skunk : /
Much truth!

I thought I'd hit the "magic zone" on both of my first hogs, but turns out I punched at least one shoulder w/ a 110 TSX... Thank goodness due to TSX bullet performance and the 6.8 both dropped in their tracks.

Guess the bottom line is it feels somewhat unnatural to aim that far forward even when you've shot deer with neck shots or otherwise; I certainly look forward to more practice!

B2

BTW, the Palo Duro hogs are delicious!

·
Registered
62 Posts
http://www.texasboars.com/hunting/ellusive.html

I have shot too many hogs to count.
The first I ever shot was a 50-55 lb hog with a .270 behing the shoulder like a deer at 75 yds. The guide had a fit!
The hog ran 125 yds with 5 foot of gut hanging out of his chest/abd.
They took that hog and while they were cleaning it, shouwed me this exact place to shoot the hogs.
I have not had a hog take more than a step since. The hogs have ranged form 75-325lbs at a range of 25-275 yds. I take my crosshairs and draw a line from the middle of the shoulder to the bald spot behind the hogs ear. I shoot the middle of that line. It puts it in the solid red of the pic.

This is the only place I will shoot a hog!

Reactions: Ticonderoga

·
Registered
100 Posts
really??

we shoot hogs in line with the diaphram looking for a lung or liver shot. Funny nearly every hog shot that way has run doen into the red river bottom and died out in the open on the oklahoma side in the flood plane.

Perfect shot. :)

That way I can watch the buzzards and coyotes from my deerstand.

Seriously, I can't believe that people actually pay to come shoot these things and then treat them likek trophies. I regret that has happened ecause one day some one will decide that hogs need to be classified as game animals.

There three traps on the way to my stand on the red river. They were all full, one had three in it on saturady morning. Emptied during the day on saturday and full again Sunday morning. Have a picture at one of the feeders from sunday night with 30 +/- under it and watched Monday afternoon as a group of 84 crossed a wheat feild about 600 yards (and across the neihbors fence) from me and my 6.8. If it had been dry enough to braket them by kicking up dust I would have tried lobbing a few in.

·
Registered
147 Posts
So this work on Washington State Russian Boar to?

Can Feral hogs can be shot able all year round there as a feral domestic animals? Or they have a season?
In Germany, the preferred running shot is straight up the front leg above the bottom of the chest by 1-2"and forward 1-2". Russian/European/German boars are the same critter. If you have a head/neck shot, that's referred to as the Metzgerschuss or butcher's shot, because of the minimal damage.

Waidmannsheil! (good hunting)

·
Registered
55 Posts
this hog went about 20 yards and dirt rolled, you can see the o ring on the shaft of how deep it went in. shot at 45yds with a 75gr minimax

this hog was coming at me in tall grass while i had the neice out bunny busting with the 10-22. put six in his head before he stopped about 20 yards from us. the neice was already at the truck, fastest ive ever seen her move lol.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts