6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found this forum a few days ago. I was glad to see a forum ddicated to 6.8mm info, there doesn't seem to be that much out there on other forums.

I ordered a Ruger mini 14 ranch rifle in 6.8mm and should be getting it soon.

I decided on 6.8mm because I never really felt like .223 could do much and for between pistol range and .30-06 range the 6.8mm seems to have very good ballistics.

So thanks for the forum! I look forward to getting good info here and asking some questions.

Dan

·
Registered
441 Posts
Glad you decided to join Dan. Welcome. This site has the most current info on the 6.8 you will find by far. We have a great group here. Everyone is laid back and we treat each other with respect. While we have mainly AR owners there are a number of Mini users and some knowledgeable here with that rifle. Plenty of general info about the 6.8 I think you will find helpful.

Any questions or info post way. Glad to have you here.

Tim

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to you both for the welcome!

Tim - I was tempted to get an AR15 in 6.8mm but the cost is just too much right now. With some manufacturers selling the UPPER alone for $1,000.00-$1,500.00 it's just out of my reach for the foreseeable future.

I'm off to read up on the forum! :)

·
Registered
441 Posts
The Kotonics which right now produces the best performing factory 6.8s you can get a complete upper for under $600 and the lower depending anywhere for under $300 complete. That puts you under $1K for the whole rifle.

Kotonics Upper : The upper - Bolt carrier group and charging handle: $490.00 http://www.securepay.com/easyshop/products.asp?id=1&cat=1. KT68 6.8 AR-15 Upper Assemblies&mMerch_ID=42167

Bolt carrier group and charging handle: $148.00 http://www.securepay.com/easyshop/products.asp?id=8&cat=5. 6.8 Bolts and Charge Handles&mMerch_ID=42167

Complete Lower : $290.40 http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=121 You will need to choose complete lower from the drop down tab.

Total: $928.00

All you need is optic and or Iron Sites. You can get a Millett DMS-1 for $199.00 and a cheap mount until you can afford a LaRue or other top flight mount. Or can go with Iron sites until you get proficient with them. A necessary skill many neglect these days.

Hope this helps. This would get you what is the best none custom barrel with a matching bolt and one of the nicest forged lowers. You can upgrade stock and HG as you see fit. All of this for less then many Uppers. It is very easy to sped lots of money but your return on performance is very little as most is over kill, beyond what most could exploit or for looks.

Once you get a good understanding of the round and the info I suggest you give Tim Hicks the owner of Ko-tonics a call and speak to him about what you have for a budget and what your planned uses and needs are. He is a great guy and not the least bit pushy.

Tim

Tim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts