6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took a Mini 30 20-round metal mag and removed the follower. With a file and ruler I reshaped the "bullet" shape part of the follower to the approximate size and shape of a Ruger 6.8 follower. I found that this worked in my 6.8 Ranch, but I couldn't load more than 10 cartridges into the mag without the top bulging to the extent that the mag wouldn't snap into the gun. So I started removing segments of the mag spring so that it wouldn't push the shells so forcefully against the top of the mag causing the bulging. So far I have removed 5 segments from the spring and am now able to load 16 shells into it. I'm afraid to remove any more for fear of losing too much push, but I think I could. So right now I have a functioning 16 round mag for my Ruger Ranch 6.8.

Update: I removed another segment from the Mini 30 mag spring and now have a functioning 20-round mag for the Ranch 6.8. Would rather have a factory mag for the gun, but this will work for now. Have another Mini 30 mag on order.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I wonder if anyone has tried the same with a .223 mag?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jbone said:
I wonder if anyone has tried the same with a .223 mag?
I don't know, but I did try a 223 mag in the 6.8 Ranch, and it didn't work well. The Mini 30 mag is a better fit in the Ranch 6.8, and the Mini 30 follower can be reshaped to better approximate a 6.8 follower than a 223 follower can.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I tried a 30 round .223 mag, at 10 rounds it also bulged too much to put in the gun. I didn't try modifying it. I did contact Ruger, they said they had no intention of making a hicap mag for the 6.8. Can we lobby any other manufacturer to make a mag for this gun?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Lots of mini 14 mag talk on this site.

http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=86

I tried the 6.8 mini followers filed to fit factory 20 round .223 mags with no luck at all. I did not cut the springs.

From the looks of things, I think the 7.62 mags shape fits the 6.8 profile much better.

I have some Pro Mag 10 round 7.62 mags that fit and feed 7 rounds of 6.8 ok. Can't get more than that in it. I may try the above mentioned follower filing and spring clipping.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts