6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Eh.... If it means that Mr. Yama does well with the CBB loaded ammo, I will consider the loss of SSA a reasonable sacrifice.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Loosing SSA was devastating in my opinion. 2011-13 we were in full throttle depredation eradication mode and there wasn’t anything more effective from the AR15 platform than the 95 gr TTSX out of an ARP barrel. We had over a dozen rifles built with his barrels; primarily 16” but a couple of us had 12.5”. Ammo was our second highest overhead cost behind the R44, fuel and the pilot. When we lost our line on the SSA after the Nosler takeover, we tried many different factory loads in 68, 5.56 & x39, however none were as effective. When you’re shooting hundreds of hogs a day and thousands per month, it becomes clear which calibers and bullets do well when shot placement isn’t ideal - minute of pig. You get better over time but bouncing around in a helicopter shooting darting hogs doesn’t equate to one shot behind the ear and DRT very often. The 95 gr TTSX in our ARP rifles would roll them up even when the shot wasn’t great, whereas we could punch 2-4 holes with a 5.56 before stopping their forward movement more often than we liked. Even though they are a plague, we all held the same notion that they deserved the quickest death we could afford them and would not fly away from a guy shot hog without sending finishing round.

We actually ended up with Federal Fusion 5.56 115 gr due to the cost of ammo, and after Sandy Hook in 2013, we couldn’t afford to fly and shoot anymore and leaned more heavily on trapping.

I would love for the guys behind SSA to start loading the Barnes TTSX again under a new name. Was there a non compete with the Nosler deal?

·
Registered
13,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am sure there was. It may be too much BS for Art too.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Loosing SSA was devastating in my opinion. 2011-13 we were in full throttle depredation eradication mode and there wasn’t anything more effective from the AR15 platform than the 95 gr TTSX out of an ARP barrel. We had over a dozen rifles built with his barrels; primarily 16” but a couple of us had 12.5”. Ammo was our second highest overhead cost behind the R44, fuel and the pilot. When we lost our line on the SSA after the Nosler takeover, we tried many different factory loads in 68, 5.56 & x39, however none were as effective. When you’re shooting hundreds of hogs a day and thousands per month, it becomes clear which calibers and bullets do well when shot placement isn’t ideal - minute of pig. You get better over time but bouncing around in a helicopter shooting darting hogs doesn’t equate to one shot behind the ear and DRT very often. The 95 gr TTSX in our ARP rifles would roll them up even when the shot wasn’t great, whereas we could punch 2-4 holes with a 5.56 before stopping their forward movement more often than we liked. Even though they are a plague, we all held the same notion that they deserved the quickest death we could afford them and would not fly away from a guy shot hog without sending finishing round.

We actually ended up with Federal Fusion 5.56 115 gr due to the cost of ammo, and after Sandy Hook in 2013, we couldn’t afford to fly and shoot anymore and leaned more heavily on trapping.

I would love for the guys behind SSA to start loading the Barnes TTSX again under a new name. Was there a non compete with the Nosler deal?
Wilson combat makes a load with the 95 TTSX so you arent high and dry if you do not reload

I for one would welcome and support an Art Comeback!

Sent from my TA-1004 using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts