6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
More trouble with the company doing Melonite so the 16" 6.8, 13" 223 and 13" 6.8 will likely be the last of the melonite treated barrels.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
:(

·
Registered
14,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I am going to explain this a little. These companies that do work for other people and say they do it every day either don't wrap the barrels and just throw 25 in a box to bang around or they don't tape the boxes well enough to keep the barrels inside. So each box weighs about 50 lbs. Does anyone with any common sense at all think 1 piece of clear tape around the middle of the box will keep 50lbs of barrels inside? NO, only morons would think it would.
So insurance for those that do not know only covers the product if UPS or FEDEX loses the shipment. If some dipshit doesn't wrap the box well enough it is not the problem of UPS or FEDEX.
So if the barrels are damaged because they bang around on each other inside the box or lost because they fall out of the box guess who loses money...ME
I can't take a chance losing $20000.00 worth of barrels and the more FN idiots I have to deal with the bigger chance it becomes.

I don't take this decision lightly believe me, this is the 4th company I have dropped, every reason involves shipping or packing.
The barrels will not be any less accurate and it's not likely anyone will wear out a barrel hunting. I get it, I like the Melonite treated barrels, it is why I started making them in 2009. It is a lot more trouble with installing the extensions and drilling the gas ports after and the time involved alone in the end makes them more expensive than stainless but there is a reason Wilson Combat and Bison do not make Melonite treated barrels.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Harrison.........thanks for the update.
Guessing those companies aren't really barrel making companies....or...they would make a reasonable effort to protect their product. Reminds me of when American companies went to SKS factory in China to checkout compatibility and were shocked to see how proudly the Chinese factory workers were throwing SKS onto a big pile in the middle of the floor.
Can easily see/feel your frustration and disappointment. So, sympathies and please keep up the good fight, me friend.
We need your quality barrels.
Any chance of finding some company that could package and ship the barrels before the mfgr's ding them?

·
Registered
336 Posts
I for one, will still purchase from ARP. The stainless barrels are just as accurate. Like H said, I probably won't wear one out and if I do I will just buy another from him.

·
Registered
14,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Harrison.........thanks for the update.
Guessing those companies aren't really barrel making companies....or...they would make a reasonable effort to protect their product. Reminds me of when American companies went to SKS factory in China to checkout compatibility and were shocked to see how proudly the Chinese factory workers were throwing SKS onto a big pile in the middle of the floor.
Can easily see/feel your frustration and disappointment. So, sympathies and please keep up the good fight, me friend.
We need your quality barrels.
Any chance of finding some company that could package and ship the barrels before the mfgr's ding them?
I'll assume you meant MF'rs. The companies doing the melonite treatment are the problem, actually the idiots they hire to pack and ship. Then it is the managers not making sure the product is packed and shipped correctly. And yes today I am pissed, I would like to beat the shit out of them with an unwrapped barrel. Between the raw steel and barrels they are shipped 4 times and only the companies doing the melonite treatment are screwing it up.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Ugh. This sucks. Sorry, Harrison. Hopefully a new opportunity will present itself where the previous ones have fallen away.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I would love to suggest that you start you're own mini melonite setup, but I don't want to get hit with the dinged up barrel.
This sucks because you're barrels spend time under the backseat of my pickup because they won't rust.
I guess any ARP barrels that I buy down the road will just have to have shiny barrels.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Have you ever dealt with Houston plating in the city of South Houston? I know they do QPQ for some manufacturers. I’ve had a 1911 done by them and when I picked it up they had each part wrapped individually very securely. I even did the grip screws 14 or 15 pieces in all. They didn’t lose 1 piece.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I'll have to do some google fu. Curious if the melonite process is a hazardous waste nightmare for small batches.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I was at a company that used reusable shipping containers to secure parts from shipment damage. The number of units in a container was always the same. fixed

I imagine if barrels were put in tubes with caps on each end, then put in a foam lined hard sided case they would fair better in shipment. The same tubes could be used when shipping to your customers.

Just a thought...It would be a shame to loose melonite barrel business to lesser companies because of this issue.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I had thought of something similar and suggested it to Harrison. My old company used custom-made "returnable dunnage" when dealing with automotive manufacturers to ship engine parts to them. In that case, however, it was to reduce their expense of landfilling crates and cardboard packaging contaminated with the chemicals that were in the parts being shipped.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I had thought of something similar and suggested it to Harrison. My old company used custom-made "returnable dunnage" when dealing with automotive manufacturers to ship engine parts to them. In that case, however, it was to reduce their expense of landfilling crates and cardboard packaging contaminated with the chemicals that were in the parts being shipped.
We shipped new parts to them and they shipped parts back to us for refurbishment while saving some trees in the process. Cardboard wouldn't hold up and the new parts were about $700 ea and one container would hold a dozen. Small and light enough to meet weight goals for shipping and strong enough that the parts would not get damaged if the container was dropped 4'.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Any up dates on barrels? I sure could use a couple of beautiful 16" ARP's; I'm about to have to give mine up to the second Son in Law,, maybe an old scratched up 16"/5R fell off the shelve in the back room or something ;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts