6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As soon as a body spots one of these mythical items, please document your sighting here and spread the joy!

I will do the same!

Maybe someone has good enough contacts to put together a group buy...

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Probably wont see any (in stores) for a while as they are all going to ammo. The only hope is to find someone who has hoarded them over the years. Canada has plenty of them the issue is they wont ship to here.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts

Only $499 for 3500 small pistol primers

They also have 9mm for about $700 per 1000 for 115 fmj

With those prices I may need to find an old match lock gun.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I swore I would never finance primers. I've seen small pistol primers advertised for $200 per 1000 in a local buy/swap/sell publication. I did see large and small rifle primers for sale in gun shop Saturday. They would only sell 200 of each to any one customer. I think they were $4 per 100.

·
Super Moderator
12,047 Posts
Dealer cost is still $109 per case of 5 thousand but good luck finding any.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Am currently decapping 5,000 7.62×51 Berdan primed cases to load because I have a butt load of tall Berdan primers and pile of Berdan primed cases that have been accumulating for decades. Accomplishing two things, making reloading slower which conserves my Boxer primers and increasing my 7.62 NATO range ammo stash. Wish I had more 7.62 Berdan cases and lamenting all left laying in the grass over the years.

Have enough new 147 grain FMJBT milspec bullets to load this run and enough 147 grain FMJBT pulls that look good as new could stuff in them. Instead going to load them all with 160 grain polymer coated cast bullets with home punched gas checks. Glad I loaded up on swaging dies, ability to punch my own gas checks, draw my own jackets and cast a variety of bullets. Below are the 180 grain version of the boolits going to use in my run of 7.62. Just have to wait for my new swage die and have a swage die in 6.8 coming as well. They are cast from 22 BHN linotype, polymer coated then gas check is seated in a swaging die that drops them out as concentric as a match jacketed bullet so they don't spin apart or lead barrel at speeds above 2,700 fps.

Even have dies and bullet molds for heeled 22 rimfire and enough priming compound to reload at least 20,000 rimfire cartridges. Have even experimented with reusing primers in the past and with Berdan primers was up to 95% reliability before quit fooling with it but guess it's time to start thinking about reusing primers again. I still have my primary supplier of primers selling me his "good customer" limit when shipments come in. He allows 1,000 of each flavor he gets and is not gouging though price is up. Will keep buying long as I can and if market normalizes will call it part of cost averaging as still have primers hoarded over a decade ago not up in rotation that are marked $9.95 per 1,000. Have been planning for what seems to be happening finally for 20 years. Have been reloading 7.62×39 copper washed steel cases with 160 grain cast gas check boolits for years and wife's favorite range ammo because she knows they are cheap and recover most of the lead to recast.

Buying odd stuff now like Hi-Tek cast bullet coating, polymer bullet coating, extra bullet molds in sizes don't have, chemicals required to prime rimfire and reuse primers plus large amounts of military cannister powders so get twice the powder for the money over current popular powders. Still getting Varget, TAC and Unique but concentrating on bargain powders. Have more swaging dies inbound, another bullet swaging press and if have to will make my own stuff loaded in cases others have no components to fill. Hard to believe we may be near the end of an era/industry. Unless rich expect most will only shoot enough to sight in rifles before hunting season and only shoot when have game in the crosshairs.

Can shoot at half my normal capacity till age 90. Plan was to semi retire at age 60 and start shooting double what I do now but the 50% ammo/components tax in HR 5717 will nix that on fixed income so may have to delay retiring to be able to buy ammo to last. They are not going to take ammo away, may "Calafornicate" our repeaters, make them NFA items and hammer us with taxes but some part of the industry will survive as civilian market keeps the military suppliers doors open. Wonder if government will quit surplusing old ammo? Have about 8,000 Lake City 7.62 NATO blanks to contemplate removing primers without damage.

Have been watching folks sell 5.56 M855 for $3 per round with plenty of takers. Last year it was 35 cents per round. Glad have more than want as most ranges I shoot don't allow steel core and they mess up the strike plates in my traps. Was buying all the 6.8 spc 110 grain American Gunner ammo I could get till it passed 70 cents per round. Should have kept buying till it hit 90 cents as its worth a buck pulled into components. Bought a 55,000 round pallet of IMI 5.56 M855 and 40,000 round pallet of IMI 7.62 M80 in 1999 over Y2K supply chain concerns. Wish I had done that again mid 2019...

All this mess and anyone who made a B in high school chemistry, has a few hundred to a couple thousand bucks in their pocket and the will can drop a building like in Oklahoma City. Burly kid with a baseball bat could probably kill as many students as some of the kids who brought guns to school. More scared of a man with a knife who knows how to use it than most perps with a gun. Instead of lunatics showing up with guns they will start klacking off suicide vests or leaving IEDs in public places. I would rather go up against most with guns instead of improvised devices. Just like I predicted liberals getting guns/ammo away from the masses in my lifetime bet my predictions of even worse mass attacks using improvised devices will demonstrate keeping us from getting primers or ammo was a stupid plan. Most lunatics don't bring real skills or enough ammo so we're better off if they have guns.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I swore I would never finance primers. I've seen small pistol primers advertised for $200 per 1000 in a local buy/swap/sell publication. I did see large and small rifle primers for sale in gun shop Saturday. They would only sell 200 of each to any one customer. I think they were $4 per 100.
I just looked at gunbroker, holy crap small rifle primers $255. It’s got to end.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I found small pistol primers today at a military surplus store. Limit of 1000 per customer. At $55, I didn't think it was too bad. My buddy and I each bought a brick and there was 5 or 6 left when we left.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thursday I think it was, Powder valley had a few in stock and I was quick enough. Fed 205m srp, Win lpp, and Cci 500 spp and Win 209. Felt like I won the lottery. But I was really hoping for some cci 200 also.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The only place I’ve found primers is at a local range. They want $200 / 1000. I passed. I can’t justify that cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sounds like there is a trickle finally. Just missed some in Oklahoma. By the time I heard they were gone 😪

1 - 16 of 16 Posts