6.8 SPC Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
I was led to believe this was made in GA, turns out it was designed there. However, it really seems like a nice scope. Have not had a chance to use it yet, on the road. I will do a review on it in the future.

Attachments

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hard to go wrong with any of the nightforce offerings. I’ve also been very impressed by the primary arms platinum lineup, and the Athlon Chronus line scopes, both of which will be in the $1200-1500 range......
I had a Vortex Viper 1-4x (now discontinued), which I really enjoyed. But I wanted to reach out a little further. I levitated toward Nightforce or Leopold, but couldn’t come up with the funds because of my sin of buying other toys & gadgets. I, too, discovered the Primary Arms Platinum w/ the ACSS reticle, which was ideal for my purposes of home defense. At 50 yds or less, I keep the scope on 1x, which is very effective as a red dot when the reticle is lit. Just fine for close combat. To reach out to 200 or 300, dialing in some zoom works fine. I just appreciate the reticle, due to it’s design to get quick measurements of your enemy. But if hunting is more important than defense, you may not appreciate it as much.

·
Registered
262 Posts
If want a do all scope would look at a Leupold in the 3-12x to 4-16x power range. Enough field of view at 50 but can dial it up when punching paper. Almost every scoped rifle I own now has a 1x mini red dot attached to scope mount ring with picatinny rail, an add on that mounts to tube of scope and allows red dot to be set at any angle especially if use a scope with tall target turrets or mount using a variety of widgets to pic rail or forearm.

A few years ago was hunting a south Georgia soybean field from a permanently built blind almost nice as our camper where normal shots are sometimes as close as 250 yards but normally more in the 500 to 800 yards is as close as big bucks will generally wander. Walking to the blind with a 5-50x March scope on top of a custom built 7mm Practical bolt rifle had a beautiful burly man of a buck which was at least ten points jump up from my right then run across the trail at about 25 feet out quartering away from me and into the brush. Had enough time to get the scope on him but even set at lowest power setting of 5x all I saw was hair and could not be sure enough of shot placement to squeeze the trigger. Now almost all scopes that go in the field have a red dot.

Have a 45x target scope on a rifle in 22 CHeetah use for long range paper punching and varmint hunting. It has a red dot sighted at 75 yards just in case flush a coyoteat 100 yards or less. It's amazing how many over bore custom built rifles in wildcat cartridges primarily for shooting small things at a long distance now have sprouted red dots in my vaults. Even some of my 1-4× to 1-8x scopes which will be sighted at their best point blank range have 1x red dots sighted at 75 yards so don't have to try and find or figure proper dope on something that pops up 50 yards away and scope is sighted at say 200 or 250 yards.

One of my favorite 6.8s which has a boatload of varmint kills in the 375 to 425 yard range but has a 1x red dot sitting at 45° angle to left of scope. Nice to be able to line up a 50 yard ground hog just by looking through the red dot with left eye and forget doping the scope.

A 22 Nosler with a 1x red dot parked on top for surprise CQB work.

20" 5.56 HBAR with its red dot parked over scope.

Mk 12 clone in 5.56 with a Burris Fast fire riding over scope.

Recently finished an AR 10 in 6.5 PRC with 12-36x scope and it has a red dot. Same with both my 6.5 Creedmoor AR 10s and bolt rifle. It's almost a part of the majority of my personal builds to put a 1x red dot if it has a scope for any fast moving CQB work. Also makes a backup for the scope if takes a dump. Not having to reach for the power dial and twist a scope down from high power for a surprise close shot when speed is the difference between a hit or not even getting off a shot has become second na ture to me. Rfile feels naked if scope does not incorporate a red dot as well.
Do you have any pictures of one of your 45* red dot set ups....interesting

Thanks
Joe

·
Registered
602 Posts
Here you go, one of my favorite 6.8s with red dot mounted 45° left of scope. To mount where wanted had to go left side which does not bother me as shoot so much weak hand am ambidextrous with both hands and eyes so can just sight down left side of scope with left eye. Most people find it more intuitive to mount dot to right of scope and can't rifle a bit to get good view of dot but tall target turrets would not allow me with this scope.​
18ARP5R002.jpg
From right side it's virtually invisible.​
18ARP5R001.jpg
This picture on scale trying to show how light can build an full stock rifle is blurry but shows the red dot standing proud since rifle is laying on its side. FYI weight is with magazine loaded.​

·
Registered
262 Posts
Here you go, one of my favorite 6.8s with red dot mounted 45° left of scope. To mount where wanted had to go left side which does not bother me as shoot so much weak hand am ambidextrous with both hands and eyes so can just sight down left side of scope with left eye. Most people find it more intuitive to mount dot to right of scope and can't rifle a bit to get good view of dot but tall target turrets would not allow me with this scope.​
From right side it's virtually invisible.​
This picture on scale trying to show how light can build an full stock rifle is blurry but shows the red dot standing proud since rifle is laying on its side. FYI weight is with magazine loaded.​
Thanks,

Looks great. I must have been living under a rock! Looked it after I posted the question and looks pretty popular. I might have to check it out along with a Blackhound scope

Thanks again

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
I was led to believe this was made in GA, turns out it was designed there. However, it really seems like a nice scope. Have not had a chance to use it yet, on the road. I will do a review on it in the future.
The Chinese make good products when they’re paid to, or crap when they’re not. The Primary Arms scopes are a good example. I’ve got a PA 4.5-14x44 Silver Series on my 5.56 target rifle, and it’s got good glass and has repeatable adjustments.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts