6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like some help with recommendations for a scope. I don't post much and haven't done a lot with 6.8 in years. I bought a Bushmaster upper and liked the 6.8 a lot. Ended up building a 16" and a 18" Ko-Tonics after that. Then I did the borrow a SPCII reamer from this sight and reamed all 3 of my 6.8's.

I love the AR but with 3 kids and the bedroom configuration and the upstairs hallway I choose a tactical shotgun or a Sig MPX for my home SD.

Let's get rid of the Bushy upper. That will remain iron sights. I'm back and forth on a scope to use for the 16" and 18" barrels. I am not particularly looking for a CQB. I'd like something to hit 50 yard targets rapidly but primary role is 100 yards and 200 yards paper puncher. I like 10 shot groups but shoot plenty of 5 shot groups. I reload if that matters. Hard to have a 6.8SPC without reloading.

I'm not being totally specific as I don't want to limit responses. I'm open to what I may not have thought. I originally figured no brainer...Nightforce NX8 1x8x24 but I have some reservations. Accupoint 1x6? I had and sold a Swaro Z6i 1x4 I wish I had kept. Would have made this a non-decision.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Lots of good scopes out there right now. Depends on how much you want to spend. Leupold, Vortex have good scopes. I just bought a Blackhound at a good price. It almost sounds like you may want a good aim point though. I really can't say what is good or not. I hear Sig has a good one, but rather expensive. Then there is Trijicon, also very expensive. Sorry I can't help you out any better, good luck1

·
Registered
594 Posts
I'd like some help with recommendations for a scope. I don't post much and haven't done a lot with 6.8 in years. I bought a Bushmaster upper and liked the 6.8 a lot. Ended up building a 16" and a 18" Ko-Tonics after that. Then I did the borrow a SPCII reamer from this sight and reamed all 3 of my 6.8's.

I love the AR but with 3 kids and the bedroom configuration and the upstairs hallway I choose a tactical shotgun or a Sig MPX for my home SD.

Let's get rid of the Bushy upper. That will remain iron sights. I'm back and forth on a scope to use for the 16" and 18" barrels. I am not particularly looking for a CQB. I'd like something to hit 50 yard targets rapidly but primary role is 100 yards and 200 yards paper puncher. I like 10 shot groups but shoot plenty of 5 shot groups. I reload if that matters. Hard to have a 6.8SPC without reloading.

I'm not being totally specific as I don't want to limit responses. I'm open to what I may not have thought. I originally figured no brainer...Nightforce NX8 1x8x24 but I have some reservations. Accupoint 1x6? I had and sold a Swaro Z6i 1x4 I wish I had kept. Would have made this a non-decision.
For a paper puncher go Pinty. Ove had mine on my rifle over a year now and never had an issue. Cant beat the price for a 4-16x 50mm

·
Registered
670 Posts
Quick 50 yard target acquisition and paper punching out to 200 are kinda opposite end requirements for most. To me, it sounds like a low powered variable is what would fill both those roles the best, but it would not be the very best at either. The 3-gunners seem to love these and shoot at those ranges, but it also depends on how accurate of paper punching you're talking about.

I have a Vortex Eagle Strike 1-6x that I've been happy enough with for the money. It is pretty close to a true 1x and reasonably quick. I personally am able to hit 6" gong at 300 with it, but I know a lot of people feel like they would like more magnification when shooting at 200 plus. Vortex did release an updated model in 1-8x. I haven't looked through one, but don't doubt it's a good choice for the price range. They have other models that only go up in price from there, and a few lower end ones in the Crossfire line, I believe

Leupold also makes an "AR" like of low powered variables with these same features in mind, as well as many other scope manufacturers.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
If Nightforce and Swarovski were considered, the Strike Eagle isn't even close to the same league.

What's the budget? I'd consider the Vortex PST2 1-6, or if you're willing to drop a lot of coin, the Vortex Razor 1-10

·
Registered
594 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
If Nightforce and Swarovski were considered, the Strike Eagle isn't even close to the same league.

What's the budget? I'd consider the Vortex PST2 1-6, or if you're willing to drop a lot of coin, the Vortex Razor 1-10
Yep, I agree.

With that budget you’ve got a lot of great options.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Umm.....ok about $120 below.

That leaves me $1880! Awesome Sauce. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have a NightForce 2.5-10x32 NXS on my 16" ARP hunting rifle, works great for all of my needs. Clear glass, Always holds zero, No complaints

·
Registered
165 Posts
Quick 50 yard target acquisition and paper punching out to 200 are kinda opposite end requirements for most. To me, it sounds like a low powered variable is what would fill both those roles the best, but it would not be the very best at either. The 3-gunners seem to love these and shoot at those ranges, but it also depends on how accurate of paper punching you're talking about.

I have a Vortex Eagle Strike 1-6x that I've been happy enough with for the money. It is pretty close to a true 1x and reasonably quick. I personally am able to hit 6" gong at 300 with it, but I know a lot of people feel like they would like more magnification when shooting at 200 plus. Vortex did release an updated model in 1-8x. I haven't looked through one, but don't doubt it's a good choice for the price range. They have other models that only go up in price from there, and a few lower end ones in the Crossfire line, I believe

Leupold also makes an "AR" like of low powered variables with these same features in mind, as well as many other scope manufacturers.

Regarding the 50 yard target acquisition and paper punching out to 200 being the opposite end? Not if you do and use the JP Enterprises 50/200 sight in. Because as I understand it, on at 50, on at 200. In the video, what I'm talking about starts at 1:16/1:17 into the video.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Regarding the 50 yard target acquisition and paper punching out to 200 being the opposite end? Not if you do and use the JP Enterprises 50/200 sight in. Because as I understand it, on at 50, on at 200. In the video, what I'm talking about starts at 1:16/1:17 into the video.

Target acquisition speed and sight zeroing range are 2 totally separate things, in my opinion.

I fully agree for a 5.56/.223 and also the 6.8 and other cartridges, the 50 yard zero generally works well for “Max Point Blank Range” as its often called, otherwise the closest and furthest you can expect point of aim and point of impact being close enough for ethical hunting/target shooting.

Quick target acquisition, to me, is usually a wide FOV sight with large, course aiming point/reticle, often illuminated that helps you get the sight on target very quickly.

Paper punching can be a broad term, but again to me, it calls for a higher powered optic with finer reticles for more precise aiming.

A lot of low powered variable optics these days try to provide both because everyone wants to be a CQB guru but also a sniper at the same time. Some cover both bases pretty well, some do not at all.

I’ve always thought the old sayings “jack of all trades, master of bone” and “right tool for the job” hold true if you for both weapons and optics/sights.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Target acquisition speed and sight zeroing range are 2 totally separate things, in my opinion.

I fully agree for a 5.56/.223 and also the 6.8 and other cartridges, the 50 yard zero generally works well for “Max Point Blank Range” as its often called, otherwise the closest and furthest you can expect point of aim and point of impact being close enough for ethical hunting/target shooting.

Quick target acquisition, to me, is usually a wide FOV sight with large, course aiming point/reticle, often illuminated that helps you get the sight on target very quickly.

Paper punching can be a broad term, but again to me, it calls for a higher powered optic with finer reticles for more precise aiming.

A lot of low powered variable optics these days try to provide both because everyone wants to be a CQB guru but also a sniper at the same time. Some cover both bases pretty well, some do not at all.

I’ve always thought the old sayings “jack of all trades, master of bone” and “right tool for the job” hold true if you for both weapons and optics/sights.
I've seen alot of setups using LVPO with an 45 offset red dot.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Hard to go wrong with any of the nightforce offerings. I’ve also been very impressed by the primary arms platinum lineup, and the Athlon Chronus line scopes, both of which will be in the $1200-1500 range.

Quick target acquisition at 50 would imply a red dot/prism optic or LPVO, but if you want groups at 200 you’re going to be hard pressed to get good results with any of those. Have you thought about splitting your budget and getting 2 nice $700-800 optics and putting them in QD mounts? Then you can run and gun at 50 or set up on a bench and punch paper at distance with a quick swap of the optic.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Vortex Razor GenII E 1-6
Or the Razor Gen III 1-10
I’d love to have the gen III 1-10, but my only issue is that at 1x you basically need the illumination on to have a specific aiming point. However that wouldn’t be an issue for punching paper at the range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
589 Posts
If want a do all scope would look at a Leupold in the 3-12x to 4-16x power range. Enough field of view at 50 but can dial it up when punching paper. Almost every scoped rifle I own now has a 1x mini red dot attached to scope mount ring with picatinny rail, an add on that mounts to tube of scope and allows red dot to be set at any angle especially if use a scope with tall target turrets or mount using a variety of widgets to pic rail or forearm.

A few years ago was hunting a south Georgia soybean field from a permanently built blind almost nice as our camper where normal shots are sometimes as close as 250 yards but normally more in the 500 to 800 yards is as close as big bucks will generally wander. Walking to the blind with a 5-50x March scope on top of a custom built 7mm Practical bolt rifle had a beautiful burly man of a buck which was at least ten points jump up from my right then run across the trail at about 25 feet out quartering away from me and into the brush. Had enough time to get the scope on him but even set at lowest power setting of 5x all I saw was hair and could not be sure enough of shot placement to squeeze the trigger. Now almost all scopes that go in the field have a red dot.

Have a 45x target scope on a rifle in 22 CHeetah use for long range paper punching and varmint hunting. It has a red dot sighted at 75 yards just in case flush a coyoteat 100 yards or less. It's amazing how many over bore custom built rifles in wildcat cartridges primarily for shooting small things at a long distance now have sprouted red dots in my vaults. Even some of my 1-4× to 1-8x scopes which will be sighted at their best point blank range have 1x red dots sighted at 75 yards so don't have to try and find or figure proper dope on something that pops up 50 yards away and scope is sighted at say 200 or 250 yards.

One of my favorite 6.8s which has a boatload of varmint kills in the 375 to 425 yard range but has a 1x red dot sitting at 45° angle to left of scope. Nice to be able to line up a 50 yard ground hog just by looking through the red dot with left eye and forget doping the scope.

A 22 Nosler with a 1x red dot parked on top for surprise CQB work.

20" 5.56 HBAR with its red dot parked over scope.

Mk 12 clone in 5.56 with a Burris Fast fire riding over scope.

Recently finished an AR 10 in 6.5 PRC with 12-36x scope and it has a red dot. Same with both my 6.5 Creedmoor AR 10s and bolt rifle. It's almost a part of the majority of my personal builds to put a 1x red dot if it has a scope for any fast moving CQB work. Also makes a backup for the scope if takes a dump. Not having to reach for the power dial and twist a scope down from high power for a surprise close shot when speed is the difference between a hit or not even getting off a shot has become second na ture to me. Rfile feels naked if scope does not incorporate a red dot as well.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Vortex Razor GenII E 1-6
Or the Razor Gen III 1-10
I’d love to have the gen III 1-10, but my only issue is that at 1x you basically need the illumination on to have a specific aiming point. However that wouldn’t be an issue for punching paper at the range.
I agree. If you don't mind the weight, the 1-6 Razor is hard to beat. It is heavy, though. The Sig Tango6 is also in the same class and has won some military contracts in this class. If weight matters, ACOGs are worth considering. That's what I run on my 12.5" 6.8.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts