6.8 SPC Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Currently I have a scope on the rifle suitable for hunting. I thought I'd remove it & try an undignified site used for short range quick acquisition. The plan is to do more plinking & become more proficient with the rifle. Still don't know if it fits my needs as a home defense rifle.
Still depends on what you define at "short" range. I feel comfortable using a dot sight to 100 yards. After that I don't really feel the accuracy is there, but thats more me than the gun.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have a sig romeo 5 I zeroed at 50 which should put me within 1.5" approximately up or down out to 200 yards. So for all of my affective ranges I plan on hunting at all I have to do is aim for a lung shot and should be good to go. You can mess with a ballistics calculator and see what zero will give you the best ballistics for your needs.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Still depends on what you define at "short" range. I feel comfortable using a dot sight to 100 yards. After that I don't really feel the accuracy is there, but thats more me than the gun.
Its definitely hard to aim at a small spot when your dot covers it lol. Im hoping aiming at a larger target will help that. But if I planed on consistently shooting past 100 I would look at something magnified too

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I bought the Romeo5 & mounted it up. It zeroed in quickly at 50 yds which is what I consider appropriate for my needs. If I decide to use the rifle for longer range shooting I'll put the scope back on. I hope to get more shooting in, but the red dot seems to be just the ticket for quick handling & shooting!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I bought the Romeo5 & mounted it up. It zeroed in quickly at 50 yds which is what I consider appropriate for my needs. If I decide to use the rifle for longer range shooting I'll put the scope back on. I hope to get more shooting in, but the red dot seems to be just the ticket for quick handling & shooting!
Yeah I love it too! I set this rifle up for hunting in the woods so most shots will be around 50 yards too. It seems like a very good sight. The astigmatism sucks but what do ya do lol

·
Registered
46 Posts
I really think it will be easier to be accurate on a larger target like a deer at the longer distances versus trying to aim at a spot you can't see.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Astigmatism is a real problem with red dots sights, green dots too. I’ve found my prescription polarized sunglasses clean up the starry blurs to a more distinct dot. Not perfect but perfectly serviceable. The polarized sun glasses work OK with my Sightmark and quite well with the Strikefire II.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Astigmatism is a real problem with red dots sights, green dots too. I’ve found my prescription polarized sunglasses clean up the starry blurs to a more distinct dot. Not perfect but perfectly serviceable. The polarized sun glasses work OK with my Sightmark and quite well with the Strikefire II.
You need a holographic sight if you have astigmatism, but they are not cheap.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I find the blurry star is good enough for what I expect out of a red dot. It is annoying though. Using a rear sight with the small peep helps clean up the dot too. Not sure what effect a magnifier qould have.

·
Registered
30 Posts
dont get a red dot!!
Get a circle dot. The circle helps with cqb and the dot with long shots. The dot can be 2moa giving you more precision without sacrificing close up. Green is better during the day, red at night. Green tends to cause more glow at night close to the dot than red. Green pops easier in the sun. Sig and holosun are my go to dots. Get the side load battery tray not the aaa. Stick a battery in a small zip bag in your grip handle and your set for 2 years.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
I have an eye disease that’s basically REALLY bad astigmatism. Fortunately it’s only in one eye. I have had really good luck with primary arms prism sights. ACSS is a good reticle too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 32 of 32 Posts