6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

My name is Doug I live in Mid-Michigan. I am a finish carpenter by trade and work in a custom cabinet shop. I enjoy it almost as much I enjoy shooting.

If I knew I could make my living with a rifle instead of a nail gun I would, but I know there is more money in cabinetry. I have many rifles in different calibers that I handload and cast bullet for.

My 6.8 is a AR-15, that I built. Not my first AR-15 but my first 6.8

Here is a pic,

I built it on a CMT upper with a Model 1 Sale 20" barrel I bought used, along with a bolt, gas block, gas tube, 400 rounds of 1x fired Hornady brass, barrel nut, and flash hider/crush washer, for $210 shipped. It has a Vented free float tube, a Model 1 one peice scope mount, 4-16x40 Mueller scope, 10 round PRI mag, Jewell Trigger, A2 buttstock, Samco grip, and all in/on a Stag lower, with a 3# lead weight (that I cast) in the stock.

I havent shot my 6.8 much yet maybe 50 rounds and when testing some handloads last time out with it I broke the extractor with a hot load of H335 and a 90gr Seirra HP.

I will be deer hunting with it this year and possible Bear Hunting or antalope hunting with it, depending on if we go out west this year or I have to stay in state, gas prices.

Doug

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Welcome Doug,

Im a big fan of the 17HMR for prairie dogs.... you dont happen to shoot them at all do you? :mrgreen:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do shoot a 17hmr once in awhile. I have 2 of them a Savage 9317 with a 8-32x40 BSA scope and a NEF with a 3-9 Redfield. The NEF ussally stays in my truck for the varmints that might cross my path on the farm. I only have about $120 on that setup so it is my beater rifle.

The first time I went to Montana with my Savage I zapped a rockchuck at 210 yards on the nose with a shoulder shot, he flipped over on his back and his tail went spinning, longest shot so far for me on about 10 pound animal. P-dogs were falling over with at 250 plus yards....that was when I was younger and didnt listen to the gun writers about the limited range of the 17hmr.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts