6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess after approaching 10 posts it’s time for me to introduce myself.

I am a retired 59 year old manufacturing engineer who also is an ex FFL dealer (14 years) and ex licensed C&R collector (25) years. I have a large Garand collection of about 35 examples that includes an un-issued M1-D still in the wrap. Everything from Valmet and Tikka over and under double rifles to an original Onyx imported HB Israeli FNFAL, to a 100% presentation grade Mauser 71/84 in 11mm black powder with tiger stripe stock. If my life depended on me guessing within 50 the total number of firearms I own…I’m afraid I would die.

I was given my first center fire “deer rifle” when I was 8 years old. An Italian Carcano 6.5 that my dad bought mail order for $8.50. I quickly learned the difference between an excellent and a POS military rifle. I sold the Carcano for $15 to a café owner who wanted a “counter gun” (don’t ask me why…) and I bought a 1891 Argentinean Mauser in 7.65mm from Central Hardware for $18 in 1960. At the age of 13, I made friends with a local gunsmith named Bernie Sutter who provided encouragement and technical help in sporterizing my ‘91 Mauser. The Williams Gunsight book on “How to Sporterize Military Rifles” became my bible. Bernie was a great gunsmith and an outstanding man who was willing to take a young kid under his wing and teach him the intricacies of gunsmithing. I was later crushed when I learned that Bernie was killed execution style during a holdup of his shop while I was in Vietnam. I killed my first deer with the ’91 Mauser but soon began looking for a better deer rifle. Today I wish I hadn’t, but at the age of 15 I found a pristine 1908 Peruvian Mauser that I restocked with a Herter’s roll over comb stock, a Williams trigger and a .308 barrel. A 4X Weaver scope completed the package and I was deadly with it to 200 yds. This was the rifle that sparked my search for “the accurate rifle”. I still own this rifle today in its sporterized 1964 form.

I later served four years with the US Navy 68-72 with three West Pac tours and a short stint on the Bassac River.

Today, I am an avid deer hunter and have a rifle range on my farm where I shoot off sandbags up to 580 yds from an enclosed, all weather “shooting house”. I have competed at Camp Perry in High Power Rifle competition, but failing eyesight has taken its toll and I now rely almost exclusively on optical “help”.

Although I have a multitude of AR’s the 6.8 SPC has been for me the “holy grail” of modern military firearms. The outstanding ergonomics and accuracy potential of the AR platform with a round that approaches the 7.62 x 51…without all the bulk… has taken a mouse gun to what some might see as a “lite” battle rifle.

Thanks to Tim at Ko-Tonics, I am presently building two 6.8 SPCs. One with a 16” lightweight barrel for stalking wild hogs and deer and the other using a 20” barrel for use in my shooting house. Both are using unmarked Global Tactical (CMT) lowers and matching flat top uppers. Both have RRA lower parts kits with two stage triggers. The 16“ has a YHM floating four rail, Aimpoint M2 and will have a Magpul UBR stock…if they ever show up. The 20” will have a fixed rifle length ACE with Shepard 7.62 x 51 BDC scope and custom floating aluminum tube. No metallic sights on either.

I hope to learn from all of you and contribute where I can…

Kerry

·
Registered
11 Posts
welcome aboard. tnx for your service. navy used to give us marines rides, i dug it.

6.8 also fits the bill for me also. everyone toting super stuper magnums and light speed sand grain throwers...... i've been able to get great groups out of my bolt gun in 6.8

welcome aboard, you'll see alot of us on other forums also, myself on sniper's hide.

nice collection i may add.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Kerry,

Wow, excellent read, thanks for all you have done and please, do contribute more mil surp knowldge to the boards, I just applied for my C&R a month ago.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Kerry, welcome aboard. Nice intro and glad to have you aboard.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Welcome fellow Missourian. I,too, love the M1 Garand but my collection is limited to 2. Great rifles! The thing about military firearms or any firearms for that matter is that there are always more of them than money to buy them.
I look forward to learning all I can about the 6.8 from the many knowledgeable people on this site. Currently; I have 2 of them also.
18" and 16" SPR - but I never leave them configured the same for long.
Could that be called BRD mutation?

:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts