6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, my name is Lee, 41 years of age and am a Professional Pest Controller here in Portsmouth, in the South of England, Great Britain. I have own/used 7.62 (.308) cal rifles for target work and currently use BRNO’s in .17hmr, .22LR and a Remington 700 in .223 for my day to day pest control work. Here in England, we are not allowed to use a calibre that produces less than 1700 ft lbs of muzzle energy for the shooting of deer species and therefore, most of the deer shooters I know, tend to go for the .243 calibre of bolt-gun (semi-autos in anything other than .22 rim-fire are illegal here). I am looking to have a moderated rifle built for me in a straight-pull AR15 configuration and am considering the 6.8SPC calibre. The main target-species in question will be the European fox and Roe deer out to ranges of approximately 300 yards. I’ve been very happy with the Remy 700 .223 with V-max for the foxes out to this range, but I am looking to own a dual purpose weapon that I can legally drop foxes and deer with and be confident that the muzzle energy wont be below the 1700 ft lbs, but at the same time, not have an over-kill effect (if there is such a thing?). Any comments questions or advice from you guys regarding the calibre would be much appreciated! :wink:

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Leezie said:
Hi everyone, my name is Lee, 41 years of age and am a Professional Pest Controller here in Portsmouth, in the South of England, Great Britain. I have own/used 7.62 (.308) cal rifles for target work and currently use BRNO’s in .17hmr, .22LR and a Remington 700 in .223 for my day to day pest control work. Here in England, we are not allowed to use a calibre that produces less than 1700 ft lbs of muzzle energy for the shooting of deer species and therefore, most of the deer shooters I know, tend to go for the .243 calibre of bolt-gun (semi-autos in anything other than .22 rim-fire are illegal here). I am looking to have a moderated rifle built for me in a straight-pull AR15 configuration and am considering the 6.8SPC calibre. The main target-species in question will be the European fox and Roe deer out to ranges of approximately 300 yards. I’ve been very happy with the Remy 700 .223 with V-max for the foxes out to this range, but I am looking to own a dual purpose weapon that I can legally drop foxes and deer with and be confident that the muzzle energy wont be below the 1700 ft lbs, but at the same time, not have an over-kill effect (if there is such a thing?). Any comments questions or advice from you guys regarding the calibre would be much appreciated! :wink:
Welcome aboard. The 6.8SPC is a great choice for your purposes. Check out the hunting section and check out some of the threads that guys are posting.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
Welcome to the group.

·
Registered
7,444 Posts
I think the 6.8 SPC would work out nicely, you could get it in your Britain legal ar or you could get a nice bolt gun made up also.

Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your comments and warm welcome fellas! Looks like a great forum you have here. I’m looking forward to reading all the threads on reloading soon. Being new to this calibre, I’ve seen so many contrasting reports / views 6.8SPC or 6.5 Grendel? Looking at all the stats that I’ve read so far and not needing a round to reach out accurately to more than 300-350 yards, I recon the 6.8 is the round for the job! Just got to ensure that any home-loads that I produce make more than 1700 ft lbs of muzzle energy to ensure that I stay the right side of the UK deer laws! I realise that I might get told off for asking this question in this part of the forum :oops: , but does anyone have any load recipes for Varget or Vihtavuori?

Cheers,

Lee.

·
Registered
7,444 Posts
Leezie said:
Thanks for your comments and warm welcome fellas! Looks like a great forum you have here. I’m looking forward to reading all the threads on reloading soon. Being new to this calibre, I’ve seen so many contrasting reports / views 6.8SPC or 6.5 Grendel? Looking at all the stats that I’ve read so far and not needing a round to reach out accurately to more than 300-350 yards, I recon the 6.8 is the round for the job! Just got to ensure that any home-loads that I produce make more than 1700 ft lbs of muzzle energy to ensure that I stay the right side of the UK deer laws! I realise that I might get told off for asking this question in this part of the forum :oops: , but does anyone have any load recipes for Varget or Vihtavuori?

Cheers,

Lee.
I think you will find the "improved" version of the 6.8 SPC you can reach out and touch whatever you need to past this imaginary 300 yard wall.... Constructor blasted an elk at 367 yards one shot one kill with factory ammo.

·
Registered
14 Posts
When I first got into this calibre, there were hardly any load data sheets, but those books listed have really nice info. It's good that it's getting more detailed all the time. You'll be able to load anything you feel you need to stay "legal" over there, with all those load books recognizing the 6.8!!!

8)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts