6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought some PRI waffle mags for the 6.8, and am finding that half of them are hanging up in my LMT Defender lower. I have to pull them out; only one will partially drop free. Some of the 5.56 mags I tried in it also don't drop free.

I tried them in a Bushmaster lower and all 6.8 mags drop free just fine. The Bushy has had no issues w/ 5.56 mags either.

My question is this: are LMT lowers known to be tight, and short of returning it (hah, fat chance) what can I do to remedy the situation?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Just before Cardinal Armory announced they were closing I ordered 4 of the 25 round waffle mags.
1 of the 4 was very tight in my LMT lower.
When I contacted Cardinal Armory about an exchange they asked if my lower was a Bushmaster.
I returned it for exchange and the replacement fits fine.
Then I purchased 8 more direct from PRI and all of those fit fine also.
So I am thinking that there must have been a bad batch of the new 25 round waffle mags out of PRI.

8)

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well after some more testing, I think it is indeed the LMT lower, not the mags.

I switched over to another Bushmaster carbine lower that I have, and all but one of the 6.8 mags dropped free. That one that didn't is going back to PRI, as it is VERY tight.

Concerning the LMT lower, I tried 20 of my 5.56 mags in it, and 15% are too tight. 100% of those mags work in both of my Bushmaster lowers. That LMT seems to be out of spec, though for only 15% fail rate, it may not be worth the hassle of returning it, eating shipping, and going through the FFL again, etc.

It seems my curse of always getting one of the out of spec items from a manufacturer continues unabated. :evil:

·
Registered
21 Posts
The PRI waffle-pattern mag that came with my LWRC was very tight in the lower and the bolt would hang up halfway back. The problem was repeatable in other LWRC lowers. Three other PRI waffle-pattern mags and Magpul P-mags exhibited normal behavior. I returned the mag to PRI and they replaced it. Good customer service and no worries.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ended up switching the LMT lower over to my 5.56 carbine and used that gun's Bushmaster lower for the 6.8. 9 of 10 mags now drop free. I sent the 1 bad mag back to PRI for exchange.

I also have to get rid of 6 5.56 GI mags that are too big for the LMT magwell. :( But this was less hassle than getting LMT to exchange the lower, since I can't find my purchase receipt, and eat shipping + FFL fees.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts