6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if this new non-hollow point hi velocity ammo is worth the money?

Does anyone have direct experience with this new direction in self-defense ammo?

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
looking at ballistic and FBI tests on YouTube--- the arx poly ammo does OK, but still not as well as the tried and true gold dot or HST---- IMHO the problem comes from it's light weight--- when it comes to penetration a heavier mass bullet most often does better---in plain gel the arx seemed to perform well and very close to the 124 and 147 gr HP ammo on the market, but when shot through drywall, plywood or metal, it lacks the penetration needed----also, even though it imparts a decent wound cavity due to it spinning and displacing the gel media, it never expands so a nice expanding HP that measures over 1/2 after expansion still seems to leave a better permanent wound channel than the non expanding arx ---- Ill stick with my normal HP ammo for SD rounds and leave the ARX to others

·
Registered
506 Posts
I have not shot any of the pistol rounds but I have shot the 140 grain ARX bullet in
458 socom with my tromix upper. I've shot approx 30 of these shells and can attest
to complete devastation on watermelons and pumpkins. They also group quite nicely.

I've been coyote hunting with them but have not gotten a shot. Out of a 16 inch barrel
they are pushing around 3000 fps. I've shot most of the other standard bullets in the
458 but none have the dramatic hydro static effect. On steel plates they just splatter.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys...........I like to ask before I buy. Good information

·
Registered
266 Posts
I tried them in 458 Socom in a rifle , no good on accuracy out past 50 yards. I tried diligently to develop a load it just wasn't happening.

i say buy 50 and see what your barrel can do...

dont the mistake I did of buying 300 to find out the barrel didn't like them

1 - 5 of 5 Posts