6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you owned a Colt Official Police 22 revolver? I have the option to buy a 6” barrel version in excellent condition. It’s mid 60’s production. What are some opinions on this revolver?

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Congrats on your possibility. Any of the older Colts in 90%+ NRA condition would be a great catch. Also, prices have gone nuts on the Snake Colts from the 1950 to when production stopped. A 22 LR would have its own following.
Makes me really regret selling a 1911 Colt 45acp that only cost $190 at the time....1972. Or the many Pythons I passed on when I was an FFL. Jeez, who would thought a $300 Python would go for $2300+ now.

Might also check the Blue Book for ball park price ranges.........btw, if with original box and papers....very choice.
Best Wishes

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congrats on your possibility. Any of the older Colts in 90%+ NRA condition would be a great catch. Also, prices have gone nuts on the Snake Colts from the 1950 to when production stopped. A 22 LR would have its own following.
Makes me really regret selling a 1911 Colt 45acp that only cost $190 at the time....1972. Or the many Pythons I passed on when I was an FFL. Jeez, who would thought a $300 Python would go for $2300+ now.

Might also check the Blue Book for ball park price ranges.........btw, if with original box and papers....very choice.
Best Wishes
No box or papers, and minus the original grips. It does have the rare hard chrome finish though. Original grips are easy to find online.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
If the Nickel finish really flawless, it would still be a great buy.
Nickel pistols look like a million dollars........until they get scratched.
Then it's like a pretty girl with a big herpes cold sore....gag

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the Nickel finish really flawless, it would still be a great buy.
Nickel pistols look like a million dollars........until they get scratched.
Then it's like a pretty girl with a big herpes cold sore....gag
It has the hard chrome finish which is pretty rare. Hard chrome is much tougher than nickel, and very rust resistant. I’ve got a Tokarev that’s hard chromed and it’s an extremely hard finish. I’m gonna check it out Wednesday and I’ll report back.

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I picked it up Wednesday, and it’s beautiful! @Tanlover442- you are right, it’s nickel plated. Previous owner said it was chrome, but he was mistaken. Anyway, I shot it a few times and the mainspring broke! It’s dated 1951 by the serial, so I’m not upset. I’ve ordered a new mainspring along with a set of original grips
5E52825A-84BF-41F7-9366-52AD2252C690.jpeg

·
Registered
122 Posts
That’s a very nice looking revolver.

Congratulations on getting a nice vintage shooter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Turns out from the serial number it’s 1951 production. Found a new production mainspring from Numrich. These Colts are way different from Ruger or S&W to work on, but I’m only replacing a spring. These revolvers are pretty complex.

·
Super Moderator
22,097 Posts
Numrich has saved the day more than once for me. Yup, those Pachmayr Presentations don't look right on that piece

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Found a set of original grips, and they’re pricey! Was getting light strikes double action, so I sent it to an old school gunsmith in South Carolina. He worked his magic on the action, and it’s now working 100%. He also told me that the finish is definitely hard chrome, and was likely done when the gun was brand new, possibly for someone with $$. He recommended that I get a letter from Colt to find its history.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts