6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My eyes aren't what they were, just thinking ghost ring would help me center it up faster.

·
Super Moderator
21,652 Posts
Crimson Trace my friend... IS your friend.

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
Not used one on a pistol, but I was amazed how well I shot when I put them on some of my lever actions. Really pick the target up in a hurry and am probably more accurate than I was with the usual sights.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I had one on my Glock 20 for a time but have since switched most everything pistol over to red dots (Burris FF and C-More). They're best option for these old eyes. No real complaints about the Ghost Ring, just like the red dots better.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My eyes aren't what they were, just thinking ghost ring would help me center it up faster.
Hello all,
This is my first post to this august body. I am an old guy from flyover country and have been a 6.8 enthusiast since it's introduction. As for the subjuect of ghost ring sights on a handgun: I have used such a setup on a 1911 for many years, and love it. Coupled with a light pipe front sight, I think it is the best setup I have ever used on a handgun, and plan to do it to a H&K P7 that I own this winter. I have used this setup for bullseye successfully until spine trouble began to limit my ability to stand for long periods of time. I would recommend them to anyone. The only drawback I can think of is that there is a big cut to the rear of the slide that must be made, but to me it was well worth it. My $0.02.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I experimented with a double ring, front and rear, was very accurate but slow to center. After many can dots and reflectors, I finally settled on a 2 MOA red dot Gilmore, then bought a used Leopold/Gilmore 2 MOA a few years later after Leopold bought Gilmore. The Gilmore style dot has repetitive adjustments, you will like a small bubble level on top to keep it from canting if you want to shoot competition. They did offer a 2x and a 4x magnifier to replace the front sun shade.
Since I retired from competition I use the Gilmore on my Browning Buckmark Silhouette model. It has taken 11 turtles out of my two ponds. Alligator snapping turtles like fish.

I wrote a magazine article about pistol scopes. I did a display of scopes at the International Championships with 12 scopes mounted so the shooters could look at and through them. Each scope shooter got a rating sheet 1-10 with each scope listed. The top two scopes were the Burris (USA) variable and the Weaver variable. The scopes are large and the glass lenses are heavy.

·
Registered
13,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update after testing. For me they are definitely more accurate but my eyes can't focus on the front site and still see a small spot on the target to aim. If I am just putting shots center mass I'm good, shooting small groups not so good.
After testing the ghost rings I shot my G40 10mm LS with a red dot reflex and shot smaller groups at 25yds than I did at 10 yds with iron sights on a G34 9mm...looks like more red dots will be my fix.

·
Registered
13,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have I mentioned going laser? LOL
I have nerve damage in my wrists and hands, I shake so bad it's like a freaking lightshow at a rock concert LOL

A couple of months ago a guy had a laser on an AR at a 50 yd indoor range. After every shot that laser was on the floor and ceiling and he was leaning across a bench, plastic range bench but still.

·
Registered
419 Posts
If I remember correctly red / green dots are great, unless you have astigmatism. Though I think holographic sights counteract that, but they are expensive.

·
Super Moderator
21,652 Posts
I have nerve damage in my wrists and hands, I shake so bad it's like a freaking lightshow at a rock concert LOL

A couple of months ago a guy had a laser on an AR at a 50 yd indoor range. After every shot that laser was on the floor and ceiling and he was leaning across a bench, plastic range bench but still.
Aha... probably wouldn't work well for you then. My 60 year old eyeballs enjoy their benefit while shooting.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts