1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
191 Posts
Just got 2 boxes of 105’s for my 12.5 ARP. Can’t wait for deer season now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
22,274 Posts
Great choice of day to launch! Touché Robert !! Two boxes of each ordered. Thank you Robert for making this happen. It's nice to see delivered what was promised, unlike what was promised by an ol' weasel (once upon a time).

Robert, I also posted an FYI to the guys over on Lone Star Boars.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What was the test barrel length, looking forward to reviews!
S&B brass?
Small primer?
Test barrels were 16 and 18 inch
First 2500 are S&B brass, the last of it for perhaps the year. I used the last case of S&B brass I was saving for myself for the first run.
Next batch will be Starline, so all small primer.
The soonest there may be more S&B brass wont be until 4Q 2021.
If primer size changes due to component supply issues I will state that on the site.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
On your site it said to inquire about using in bolt action rifles. Any issues with ARP Savage barrels?
None at all.
Its even fine in my Rem 700 LTR with a SPCI chamber with no pressure signs at all.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Got me four boxes coming! Thank you for making this happen!

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Just a bit about BC
Inside 500 yards it is just not a big deal.
120 MKZ loaded ammo
.365 G1 at 400 yards = 42 inch drop at SEA
Now if it was higher
.425 G1 at 400 yards = 39.5 inch drop at SEA
.500 G1 at 400 yards = 37 inch drop at SEA
5 inch difference at 500 yards from a .365 to .500 G1
Now no .277 120 grain hunting bullet attains .500 G1 BC
The 120 SST is .400 G1 for example. with a 1.5 inch drop difference at 400 yards.

As well we could talk about retained energy and wind drift. However again its not a deal breaker even between .300 G1 and . 500G1

Being concerned about BC in the 6.8 inside 500 yards is not really worth thinking about.
The marketing teams have a done a great job of pushing BC.
If someone research's ballistic profiles they would find G1 does not even model modern projectiles.
G5 and G7 do. However their numbers are much lower so they dont look as good in marketing.
Anyone truly shooting long range is always going to use the G7 model.
I can hit the center of a 20 in gong at 425 meters all day long with the .231 BC 90gr Gold Dot.
I just do not think its relevant at the hunting ranges a 6.8 is capable of YMMV

·
Registered
224 Posts
Got it, thanks for the info. I was mostly looking to compare the shift from my standard Hornady 110gr OTM load I use for tuning 6.8 uppers and zeroing. It's a good general purpose factory load, has proven very reliable in my uppers. So if the shift is that small, then practically at the ranges the caliber can be used effectively it's null.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Got it, thanks for the info. I was mostly looking to compare the shift from my standard Hornady 110gr OTM load I use for tuning 6.8 uppers and zeroing. It's a good general purpose factory load, has proven very reliable in my uppers. So if the shift is that small, then practically at the ranges the caliber can be used effectively it's null.
I agree the 110 OTM is a good round to see how a barrel shoots for almost any 6.8 barrel

·
Super Moderator
22,274 Posts
Received my order safe and sound. Well packaged Robert. Thank you for making this ammo happen !!

Charles

1 - 20 of 21 Posts