6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anybody has considered necking up 6 millimeter Hagar brass to use for the 6.8 to improve accuracy performance. Would this work? If they are using Hagar brass in competition with good results I would assume that means it is very high quality brass

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Unless I'm missing something, the only Hagar brass is from Hornady. That seems like a lot of work with no real gain to push the shoulder back, open the neck, then trim it when you could just buy Hornady 6.8spc brass instead.

·
Registered
8,932 Posts
If I read things right the case head dimensions are also in the area of the .308

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unless I'm missing something, the only Hagar brass is from Hornady. That seems like a lot of work with no real gain to push the shoulder back, open the neck, then trim it when you could just buy Hornady 6.8spc brass instead.
I will have to contact Hornady and ask what the differences between the brass is. I haven't heard of anybody claiming Hornady 68 brass as being excellent but certainly hagar brass must be.

·
Registered
8,932 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I talked to the guys at Hornady about the Hagar case vs others. He said there was nothing special in regards to that case that they do that they don't do with the others. All the Hornady brass should be equal in quality. I am not sure why we don't have claims of better accuracy with Hornady 6.8 cases then. Or is it just that competition guys are sorting brass in doing extra Care with the brass that 6.8 guys could do as well.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All that to say I think post #2 nailed it. There is no benefit to using Hagar brass from the information I received from the rep at Hornady. But I'm still a little confused as to why the Hagar does so well and competition.

Also on another note the 6.8 based 240 Tomahawk seems to be doing pretty well as well. I wonder what kind of Case Prep they are using. The owner is a little hard to get ahold of though for asking questions like that. Not a lot of info to look into on this one

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
The good shooters will sort for weight, deburr the flash holes and uniform the pockets. Annealing and the use of a mandrel for setting neck tension is also done on occasion. Their target at 600 yards is a 2 MOA ten ring and a 1 MOA X-ring. Rapid fire is slightly bigger at 200 IIRC. Not particularly a challenge for the cartridge at all.

Creedmoor Sports was the main shaker and mover on this at the beginning.They brought the windowed magazines into the mainstream reloading/shooting world. I believe the 10 rounders are around $40.00 from them.

Greg

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
All that to say I think post #2 nailed it. There is no benefit to using Hagar brass from the information I received from the rep at Hornady. But I'm still a little confused as to why the Hagar does so well and competition.

Also on another note the 6.8 based 240 Tomahawk seems to be doing pretty well as well. I wonder what kind of Case Prep they are using. The owner is a little hard to get ahold of though for asking questions like that. Not a lot of info to look into on this one
I would think with that 40 degree shoulder moving quite a bit forward that fire forming is going to come into play. The 6 DTI/PDK do have a shoulder change of 30 degrees but not with a case capacity increase that appears present in the T. I'd like to see a volume comparison of the Tomahawk, the DTI, a straight 6X6.8 and a regular 6.8. The DTI adds virtually nothing over the straight 6.8 neck down based on chronograph testing of each side by side and the PDK loads are, shall we say, warm to the touch even before you fire them.

Greg

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
The good shooters will sort for weight, deburr the flash holes and uniform the pockets. Annealing and the use of a mandrel for setting neck tension is also done on occasion. Their target at 600 yards is a 2 MOA ten ring and a 1 MOA X-ring. Rapid fire is slightly bigger at 200 IIRC. Not particularly a challenge for the cartridge at all.

Creedmoor Sports was the main shaker and mover on this at the beginning.They brought the windowed magazines into the mainstream reloading/shooting world. I believe the 10 rounders are around $40.00 from them.

Greg
I think your spot on as to brass prep making the difference. Better brass makes prep easier for sure. Off center flash holes cannot be made better as well, such as we see with Federal brass.
For my accuracy loads with the 6.8 I use S&B, its the cream of the crop in 6.8 brass now imho.
I deburr, uniform flash holes and pockets, trim to 1.682, everything the same on each piece of brass.
Find a good node with powder, brass, primer, projectile then tune with OAL.
I think the 6.8 is more accurate than many give it credit for. Most find minute of pig or minute of deer loads and call it good.
I feel this is because in the civilian world it has been used and nurtured as a primarily hunting cartridge.
Really if your shooting to 300 yards with a 1.5 moa load does the animal know the difference? Probably not realistically.
With these non typical projectiles I have been working with and loading long I have found there are a number of projectiles that will give very good accuracy if it is sought out with the attention to detail a bench rest shooter would.

Here are a couple from Mondays range session I will do a full report on in the loading long thread.
These are from the ARP 22in 3R Triad now that we are getting to know each other.

130 Classic Hunter at just below 2800 FPS. I dont know if I personally can shoot any better than this.

Heres the 120 SST at 2850 fps

And 2 shots aiming for the "9" with a 120 grain monolithic projectile you cannot buy yet but soon to be available.
This projectile was built specifically for the 6.8 and will open up from 2850 to 1700 fps in ballistic gel.
We may bring it out in 2 different opening speeds, 2500 fps to 1200 fps and 2850 to 1700 fps.
It is my own design built with the help of an OEM for me, I could not be more happy with how it shoots. (the target is one I found that I recycled)
This one should also work very well for the 270AR guys.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think your spot on as to brass prep making the difference. Better brass makes prep easier for sure. Off center flash holes cannot be made better as well, such as we see with Federal brass.
For my accuracy loads with the 6.8 I use S&B, its the cream of the crop in 6.8 brass now imho.
I deburr, uniform flash holes and pockets, trim to 1.682, everything the same on each piece of brass.
Find a good node with powder, brass, primer, projectile then tune with OAL.
I think the 6.8 is more accurate than many give it credit for. Most find minute of pig or minute of deer loads and call it good.
I feel this is because in the civilian world it has been used and nurtured as a primarily hunting cartridge.
Really if your shooting to 300 yards with a 1.5 moa load does the animal know the difference? Probably not realistically.
With these non typical projectiles I have been working with and loading long I have found there are a number of projectiles that will give very good accuracy if it is sought out with the attention to detail a bench rest shooter would.

Here are a couple from Mondays range session I will do a full report on the the loading long thread.
These are from the ARP 22in 3R Triad now that we are getting to know each other.

130 Classic Hunter at just below 2800 FPS. I dont know if I personally can shoot any better than this.

Heres the 120 SST at 2850 fps

And 2 shots aiming for the "9" with a 120 grain monolithic projectile you cannot buy yet but soon to be available.
This projectile was built specifically for the 6.8 and will open up from 2850 to 1700 fps in ballistic gel.
We may bring it out in 2 different opening speeds, 2500 fps to 1200 fps and 2850 to 1700 fps.
It is my own design built with the help of an OEM for me, I could not be more happy with how it shoots. (the target is one I found that I recycled)
This one should also work very well for the 270AR guys.
Good shooting man.

·
Administrator
22,080 Posts
I would agree that the 6.8 is more capable than given credit for (accuracy). My ARP 6.8 has shown me .423" six shot groupings at 100 yds. off a bi-pod and a nasty mil-spec trigger... and a $100 6-24x scope. I was amazed at those results. I've since upgraded to a nice trigger and wanting to know if it'll give me better results. And, that was with factory loaded ammo too (SSA). I think it was 115 gr. OTM.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts