6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its a no-go on an RRA upper...

I searched high and low for barrels even through pac nor/ lilja/ shilen/ wilson / wop/ you name em... they only make blanks... so... its back to MARTY @ teppojutsu whom I just got off the phone with.... looks like another custom build is in the works ....

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
BLACK LION said:
Its a no-go on an RRA upper...

I searched high and low for barrels even through pac nor/ lilja/ shilen/ wilson / wop/ you name em... they only make blanks... so... its back to MARTY @ teppojutsu whom I just got off the phone with.... looks like another custom build is in the works ....
Guy is top notch, trust me.

Should have said Cold says to call him back...

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
I've heard nothing but good stuff about Teppojutsu (spelling?) and a big bore AR is in my future. Can't wait to see the build.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am going to call him to get things started... I will tell him COLD....
just from speaking to him once sold me on him building it... like talking to Constructor or TimW about thier xtreme 6.8 upper...

I had to ask myself... if I wouldnt take an RRA in 6.8 then why the hell would I do it for the .458.... my answer= MARTY

·
Registered
441 Posts
Any real gunsmith worth his salt should be able to turn one of those blanks into a top end barrel. Any of the barrel makers you mentioned will completely profile the barrel for you and the smith would simply chamber and install the barrel extension. Actually some will even do that for you as well. With that said you can't go wrong with Marty. I have heard only good things about him and in this field thats a hard rep to keep.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A parkerized chromoly barrel is 400.00(350.00 without)
An ss barrel is 475.00...

the bolt is 95.00 plus any upgrades

I am building it exactly the same as my 6.8 althoug I am going to use a really evil looking brake and not the same 5c2 ....

how would the parkerizing hold up as opposed to baked on krylon or duracoat ???? its an extra 50.00 and the krylon is 4.50 :D

·
Registered
7,444 Posts
I want one, though I dont really know why :D (I do have an excuse for one though, could be the ultimate backup/guide type gun but with a modern twist) but darn ammo is expensive for it....

·
Registered
441 Posts
For $50 you could dura coat the whole upper or gun.You seem todo good work yourself I say go without and take care for it yourself only because I have seen your first attempt. :wink: That also allows you to choose the color. That shade LWRC uses woudl look sharp on that kind of gun if you went solid.

·
Registered
441 Posts
You need to ask where he is getting his blanks from. As that is the cost for a finsihed true match barrel.Not saying its not jsut that you need to confirm its something in the PacNor, Douglas, Lothar range

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Via email this morning... Marty confirmed a 6 month wait on parts (barrel+bolt).... I could get an RRA now... but... the wait gives me time to secure all the upper parts I want to use and secure ammo and mags before I have to fork the rest over for the end product... maybe I can come up on a blank and have him do the work... subtract the parkerizing and coat it myself...

a 6 month wait can be good or bad.... I dont like it... so of course.... I need a couple more plans...

thanks Tim... any input will be entertained and tested...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts