6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the most common gun types, makes and calibers used by gang members and criminals?

Im assuming its handguns, but how often are rifles, such as AKs used? The last stat I found was 20 years old and had it rifles used in crimes listed at 11%.

I was wondering if that stat has changed... particularly in south FL.

Thanks...

·
Registered
6,732 Posts

·
Registered
6,732 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
that list says "automatic weapons" ... are those actually real full auto? or are they classifying semi-auto as "automatic"?
Not a clue. Either there are a lot more full autos on the black market than I had imagined or it's a frightening measure of how well the antis are controlling the language of the "debate". Not good, in any case.

My permit lists my semi auto handguns as "auto". Drives me batty, but that's all they'll list.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
that list says "automatic weapons" ... are those actually real full auto? or are they classifying semi-auto as "automatic"?
The term "Automatic" typically refers to the difference between "manual loading" (i.e. lever, bolt, pump action) and "automatic loading" (i.e. semi-automatic and fully-automatic). A machine gun is a fully-automatic firearm.

·
Registered
374 Posts
The term "Automatic" typically refers to the difference between "manual loading" (i.e. lever, bolt, pump action) and "automatic loading" (i.e. semi-automatic and fully-automatic). A machine gun is a fully-automatic firearm.
. . . and as to handguns, it specifically means the difference between auto-loaders (aka: semi-autos) and revolvers. Texas used to make that distinction as well under the CHL system (if you qualified with a revolver, you couldn't carry an auto-loader); however, now, under the LTC system, they don't limit you if you qualify with a revolver.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
It looks like there was a lot of drive by bayoneting.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for the link..

I have seen that most are handguns and are typically the cheaper firearms. Also a significant percentage of the time it is loaded with the wrong caliber. Most of what those stats were based on was data that was compiled about 15 to 20 years ago. I doubt the avg gang banger has dedicated themselves to weapons and training since then but Im not sure.
I know that the Sinaloa and Zetas cartels often employ Ex-military and police, some times "elite" units... or whatever the Mexican equivalent of an "elite" unit would be and I didn't know if that has trickled down to gangs affiliated with them stateside? Mostly it would be if there has been a trend toward more frequent use of centerfire rifles.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Would have nice to see brand and calibers. Best bet is Glock 9mm

1 - 12 of 12 Posts