6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I am debating on a gun light right now. Main function would be for a bedside gun. I do not need to be able to see a midget from 1000 yards away at night. I do however want to be able to not have to turn the light on if the window breaks in my sleep.

I like the price point and ease of use on the TLR-1.

Anything you guys prefer that isn't going to set me back the price of a 1985 Honda?

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
I like the PentagonLight X3 Xenon.

It's well made, good sealed rear switch, MIL spec and very reasonable. I bought mine off eBay new for less than $75 delivered.

Kerry

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is that with mount? If not what are you using for a mount?

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
Handgun or Long Gun? I've been taught that 65 Lumens are the minimum for home defense. 90-120 lumens work also, but if you get too bright you can reflect the light back into your eyes off of light colored walls, blinding yourself and the bad guy. LED's are the way to go. They give you longer run time, and are much more shock proof than incandescents.

Handgun: Streamlight TLR1 should be fine. I want to look at one closer. I played with a Surefire X300 and it is amazing, but costs much more than the TLR1.

Long gun: Pentagon, or what I did and get a Surefire 6P LED, or a G2 LED (Nitrolon body, less expensive than 6P). You can buy a reliable but inexpensive mount from Viking Tactics, or Vltor. For a little more you can have a Daniel Defense mount or a LaRue mount.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd like to keep the total under or around $150 give or take 20 bucks.

it sounds like the best options are as follows:

Surefire G2 - price ranges seem to vary on this as well as the lumens count depending on lamp
Streamlight TLR-1 - Cost around 100 bucks with no extra mount needed and does 135 lumens apparently
Pentagon X3 - 135 lumens SEEMS to be the most expensive but the quality also looks like the best

Outside of lumens I am unsure of what other factors to consider. I know there is throw and other stuff. Is there a clear winner and/or loser in the lights listed above? Again I am trying to keep it around $150.

Thanks,
Ryan

·
Registered
4,477 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So what you're saying is.....=P

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is there a particular mount that is preferable with the X3?

Thanks,
Ryan

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
What I am saying is for me...the Pentagon is the best value for the $ spent.

I like the design, the quality and the switch. The fact that it can be bought for less than $100 delivered is just a plus.

I use it in the home and it is perfect for my intended use. It is bright enough to illuminate any area and bright enough to momentarily blind an intruder.

BTW, I am a retired manufacturing engineer by training and can find no manufacturing flaws in construction. Good design and excellent implementation. A quality light for a bargain price IMHO.

Kerry

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
I use the PLA-1 Quick Detach mount made in Israel. Another good product.

Kerry

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No I pretty much had my mind made up on the X3 this morning. However I wanted to see if I could get a general consensus and I think I have it. Next step is to figure out the mounting situation. I like the VLTOR offset mount. I am hoping it will fit. That will also give me an excuse to drop a couple extra on a VLTOR flash hider.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
I like Pentagon lights too. I just ran across good pricing on Surefire's and have several of them in my collection and a firearms instructor of mine recommended them. I keep them in the truck, in the bedroom, in a gear bag or brief case.

Your mileage may vary, but I strongly recommend you go with LED bulbs over Xenon incandescents. LED's are very, very shockproof and give you much longer burn time in the higher lumen ranges. Pentagon has the L3 which is the LED version of the X3. It's extra insurance. Yes I know Pentagon's have battery compartment isolation and are supposed to be shock resistant.

I personally dropped a Surefire 6Z with their shock isolated bezel while jogging at night and the xenon bulb went out. That probably wasn't much different a blow than if I were defending myself with it. There are certain times you don't want your flashlight to fail.

I replaced all my Surefires with the LED upgrade lamps. It's my personal opinion, but I'm going to stay with LED's.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is starting with a Xenon and then upgrading to an LED in the Pentagons a viable option?

Thanks,
Ryan

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
Here's a run time comparison of LED versus Xenon

Surefire 6P Xenon
Max Output: 65/120* lumens
*With optional ultra high-output lamp
Runtime: 60/20* minutes
*With optional ultra high-output lamp

Surefire 6P LED
Max Output: 80 lumens
Runtime: 11 hours

Pentagon X3 Xenon
Brightness: 135 Lumens
Run-Time: 60 Minutes

Pentagon L3 LED
Brightness: Max 105 Lumens
Run-Time: 2 Hours (Peak) / 5 Hours (Usable)

·
Registered
262 Posts
ArtFWTx said:
I like Pentagon lights too. I just ran across good pricing on Surefire's and have several of them in my collection and a firearms instructor of mine recommended them. I keep them in the truck, in the bedroom, in a gear bag or brief case.

Your mileage may vary, but I strongly recommend you go with LED bulbs over Xenon incandescents. LED's are very, very shockproof and give you much longer burn time in the higher lumen ranges. Pentagon has the L3 which is the LED version of the X3. It's extra insurance. Yes I know Pentagon's have battery compartment isolation and are supposed to be shock resistant.

I personally dropped a Surefire 6Z with their shock isolated bezel while jogging at night and the xenon bulb went out. That probably wasn't much different a blow than if I were defending myself with it. There are certain times you don't want your flashlight to fail.

I replaced all my Surefires with the LED upgrade lamps. It's my personal opinion, but I'm going to stay with LED's.
Art, do you or your friend have any experience with these lights mounted on rifles? Reason I ask is that way back in the day I attached a Surefire 9-Volt light to my rifle. Because it didn't have the shock isolated bezel and the batteries moved back and forth with recoil, the light died in short order.

I'm now using a 9-V weapon light on my rifles, but the real drag is the cost of obtaining the required shock isolated 3-CR123 battery packs = $16 each last time I got some. I'd love to replace these older lights with something in LED and that uses regular CR123 batteries w/o a lot of hassle. But they have to be able to survive being attached to the rifle barrel as this is the way I use them now.

Of course lighter weight of some of the mentioned units is desireable as well - my current unit with mount is 9oz. :(

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
billclo said:
Do you or your friend have any experience with these lights mounted on rifles? Reason I ask is that way back in the day I attached a Surefire 9-Volt light to my rifle. Because it didn't have the shock isolated bezel and the batteries moved back and forth with recoil, the light died in short order.

I'm now using a 9-V weapon light on my rifles, but the real drag is the cost of obtaining the required shock isolated 3-CR123 battery packs = $16 each last time I got some. I'd love to replace these older lights with something in LED and that uses regular CR123 batteries w/o a lot of hassle. But they have to be able to survive being attached to the rifle barrel as this is the way I use them now.

Of course lighter weight of some of the mentioned units is desireable as well - my current unit with mount is 9oz. :(
G and R Tactical that Paulosantos mentioned above, and Brightflashlights.com are two shops I would call to verify these lights for your use. They also can answer Rmcdermid's question if you can upgrade Pentagon Xenons to LED's with a lamp swap.

I shopped for lights last winter and spoke with Kevin at Brightflashlights.com
http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=2&f=142
He is very knowledgeable about these lights and can point you in the right direction.

Pentagons have an advantage in they were designed up front with battery isolation. They are ready to go without having to buy a shock isolated bezel. He liked the Pentagon line since they came with battery isolation, and felt their LED models were solid all around choices because of the extra battery life.

Also the lights designed for pistols like the X300 and TLR-1 work well mounted on AR railed forends. That's my next purchase is a handgun mountable light that I can use on a carbine also.

The G2 or 6P with the Z32 bezel made a good light for an AR. Without the Z32 bezel, recoil or dropping the light like I did will likely break the filament. The 6P or Z2 LED's are AR ready as is due to the LED's. The G2 LED and mount sounds like a very economical choice. I plan to mount one to my current build project. However, I'm not a high speed low drag flashlight operator so I would welcome opinions from LE officers, and soldiers, and dealers who are familiar with the lights in rough conditions when I'm shopping.

He also mentioned heavier hitting calibers like 308 or 12 gauge light options are different than a softer recoiling 5.56 AR, so shop accordingly.

I'd call the two dealers above and visit with them. Both have package deals, and seem to know their products. Brightflashlights has an Industry Forum on Ar15.com. They offered me discount pricing and package deals on Surefire and Pentagon.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
For a 5.56 mm or similar recoiling carbines, just use a Surefire G2 or G2L in a VTAC mount--cost of this extensively combat tested set-up is less than $100.00. If you are shooting heavier recoiling weapons like .308 or 12 ga, then a shock isolated bezel is a good idea.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
Thanks DocGKR. That's all I need to know, you confirmed what I've learned so far.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts