6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After looking and a lot of reading i decided on a barrett REC7 Gen 2 , it seems to be a really nice gun and light which was a real concern of mine because my other 68 is heavy . Now i didnt know and didn't even think about looking at the twist rate and now i see that it is a 1/10 not 1/11 like my other one so is there that much difference ? I know that 1/10 is the min and 1/11-1/12 the preferred but i cant see it making that much of a difference but it guess i will see this weekend when i site it in , i just out a kind of cheap pro staff 7 on it for now because the vx3i was not in stock so i will be looking for one in the near future .
Gun Firearm Rifle Trigger Airsoft

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
After looking and a lot of reading i decided on a barrett REC7 Gen 2 , it seems to be a really nice gun and light which was a real concern of mine because my other 68 is heavy . Now i didnt know and didn't even think about looking at the twist rate and now i see that it is a 1/10 not 1/11 like my other one so is there that much difference ? I know that 1/10 is the min and 1/11-1/12 the preferred but i cant see it making that much of a difference but it guess i will see this weekend when i site it in , i just out a kind of cheap pro staff 7 on it for now because the vx3i was not in stock so i will be looking for one in the near future .
View attachment 14407
The 1-10" twist is fine as long as you have a Spec II chamber or one of the improved versions. You may give up a little bit of velocity over one of the 1-11 to 1-12 twists with the light weight bullets but it will handle all suitable bullets even those to long and heavy for the slower twist mentioned.
I don't think you would be able to tell the difference just shooting unless you are comparing them side by side over a chronograph.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I'm currently looking at an LWRC Six8, but the REC7 from Barrett is high on my list as well. I'm a big fan of LERC now since I purchased my M6IC SPR 4 months ago. I'm sure the Barrett design will run toe to toe with it. I'm just really liking the full ambi features and the magpul 6.8spc mags will be cool as well.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm currently looking at an LWRC Six8, but the REC7 from Barrett is high on my list as well. I'm a big fan of LERC now since I purchased my M6IC SPR 4 months ago. I'm sure the Barrett design will run toe to toe with it. I'm just really liking the full ambi features and the magpul 6.8spc mags will be cool as well.
I took it out this weekend and ran about 100 rounds though and and i was happy with it , the only thing i will to is try and polish the trigger a little because it has a small amount of creep . The one thing that made me decide on the barrett is it is mill spec , i am not found of the plastic mags at all , i have a few and just dont like them.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I took it out this weekend and ran about 100 rounds though and and i was happy with it , the only thing i will to is try and polish the trigger a little because it has a small amount of creep . The one thing that made me decide on the barrett is it is mill spec , i am not found of the plastic mags at all , i have a few and just dont like them.
Both companies are "mil-spec" to a degree. Any piston rifle is going to sacrifice a lot of milspec parts compatibility.
In 5.56x45
Barrett
proprietary parts:
1. Handguard
2. Barrel nut (idk if they will sell you a wrench for removal)
3. Gas block and gas system
4. Bolt carrier
5. Bolt (idk if a regular bolt will work to replace it)
6. Upper, I'm thinking it might be modified for the piston system slightly but I may be wrong.

LWRC proprietary parts
1. Gas block and gas system
2. Handguard
3. Reciever set (milspec parts and other recievers will still work with them though, so a +)
4. Bolt carrier (bolt is milspec and even comes with gas rings on it)
5. Barrel nut (they won't sell you a tool to remove barrel yourself)
6. Gas system length (I believe it is proprietary but I May be wrong)

In 6.8 the parts list changes, but neither rifle is going to really be milspec. What I feel it comes down to is what type of mags you want to use and which rifle you think looks cooler I guess. I'm really contemplating the barret over the lwrc. It's a little cheaper and it has the adjustable gas block which cost extra from LWRC. How is reliability with the Barrett mags? They are like $40 each so I hope good. The lwrc magpul mags I can find for around $15-20.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I thought this came with a Giessele trigger. I'm surprised it creeps.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
I thought this came with a Giessele trigger. I'm surprised it creeps.
they make 2 versions of the REC7. there is the piston version that has all the bells and whistles including the Gieselle trigger and there is a DI version that was made to compete with the KAC, BCM, and other manufacturers.

·
Registered
5,500 Posts
FYI "Mil Spec" is a allowable tolerance or is other terms the amount of wiggle room from part to part. I am sure you are aware that Mil Spec is a term that is use alot as the gold standard, and in fact Mil Spec allows for quite a bit of slop since the tolerances are set to make parts interchangeability easier so the mass production of weapons can be done in multiple factories. Hence the reason everyone and their mama with a CNC can build AR parts to "Mil Spec".

I am not ragging on your choice and in fact Barrett makes a fine rifle and should serve you well for years to come. I just wanted to share some knowledge with you that you may not have been aware of.

Happy Shootin!!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
FYI "Mil Spec" is a allowable tolerance or is other terms the amount of wiggle room from part to part. I am sure you are aware that Mil Spec is a term that is use alot as the gold standard, and in fact Mil Spec allows for quite a bit of slop since the tolerances are set to make parts interchangeability easier so the mass production of weapons can be done in multiple factories. Hence the reason everyone and their mama with a CNC can build AR parts to "Mil Spec".

I am not ragging on your choice and in fact Barrett makes a fine rifle and should serve you well for years to come. I just wanted to share some knowledge with you that you may not have been aware of.

Happy Shootin!!!
Yes i am fully aware that mill spec is a well over used term and was only using that meaning that with certain ar's you cant just swap all the parts , i am sure you know what i am saying .
I haven't been out to shoot it anymore but am going to get out to the ranch this weekend and put some rounds though it .

·
Registered
5,500 Posts
Yes i am fully aware that mill spec is a well over used term and was only using that meaning that with certain ar's you cant just swap all the parts , i am sure you know what i am saying .
I haven't been out to shoot it anymore but am going to get out to the ranch this weekend and put some rounds though it .
I figured you did know, but this is a public forum and you never know who is reading. Best way for us to stop the BS is to educate.

Let us know how she does in the long term, we don't get many Barrett owners that stick around. I am curious on how they stack up to say Stag or Daniel Defense or Rock River Arms since I considered these three and Barrett the top producers. Obviously there are many more, but I think they just dabble in the caliber or are smaller high-end manufacturers like Wilson Combat which BTW are awesome.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Will do man and i know what you mean about the BS lol
I would like to think that the Barrett is top of the line but know as well there are others that can hang in the same category.I need to get another scope for it i had the Nikon on but replaced it with a vortex hst but not sure i really like the expose turrets on it so i may get something a little better and caped .

·
Registered
5,500 Posts
Will do man and i know what you mean about the BS lol
I would like to think that the Barrett is top of the line but know as well there are others that can hang in the same category.I need to get another scope for it i had the Nikon on but replaced it with a vortex hst but not sure i really like the expose turrets on it so i may get something a little better and caped .
I never owned a Barrett so all my opinions are from hear say.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Excellent choices all the way around. I have a Swaro Z3 and love it. I have two Bobro mounts and love them. You won't be disappointed with either.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Excellent choices all the way around. I have a Swaro Z3 and love it. I have two Bobro mounts and love them. You won't be disappointed with either.
Thanks
I am at the ranch now trying to get it sighted in and not having a good time , I had to return it to factory zero and then I got on paper so not sure of it was not at zero when I started but at least I'm on paper now. I only brought one box of 110 grain so I had to give up on it I didn't want to use the 120's I have even though I know they shoot the same in my other 68.
I did the looking though barrel and adjusted the sight like I always do so I'm not sure whys up with it

·
Registered
5,500 Posts
Just the normal checks I would start with. Torque of hardware and attachments, inspection of crown for damage. However I have never had luck bore sighting and get on paper at 100, always had to start at 25 then walk it out to 100.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts