6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
About a year or so ago I traded off a 4" Taurus .17 I was not happy with and took home a Henry Golden Boy in 22mag. This is a fun gun to shoot. I am surprised how well I shoot at 50 yards even though I cant see impact with iron sights. I just keep aiming for the same spot and group great. Loading is a bit lame with the tube which makes me want one with a loading gate.
The 22mag is tough to find so I am looking to shoot 38/357 and experiment with loads.

I have and shoot a bunch of 38 Special so I figure why not get a lever in 357/38. Looked at in Rossi in 20 inch round barrel, cheap solution. Henry is a bit spendier and Uberti as well. I would like to find a octagon barrel and wondering if i want 24"

Do I want to spend the extra $200 for the Henry or Uberti or is it mostly looks. Looking for some experienced in two or all three to provide pro/cons.

Thanks

·
Banned
2,342 Posts
only lever action i ever owned was the browning reproduction of the model 1886 in 45-70. fired it 6 times to zero it, ex father in law was spotting, i told him i could see the holes in the target at 50 yards LOL , big heavy rascal, but once on target it didn't move much. have a friend that really wants one of the henrey 22 mags

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I have a Henry in 44 mag and it was hitting pint of aim from out of the box. Combined with the buttery smooth action and great looks it was well worth the price.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Look at Hinterland Outfitters.com they have a nice selection of lever actions. I just bought a Marlin 1896cb 45-70. So you may fine your 357/38 24" there.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I'm thinking Marlin or Browning, maybe in .308 on one end and .22-mag on the other end, if ever one in .17 super mag I will hope to have one.. looking at bolt .17SM now $$$$

·
Registered
822 Posts
You won't find a smoother action or better out of the box accuracy than a Henry.
Honestly I can't say Nathan; I'v looked at the Henry's and really like the fill and looks but I'v never owned or shot one, my Dad had a .22 marlin back in the 60's and took the top's out of pointed out twigs and hit small rocks at 50/60 yards; as a kid that stuck I guess, I shot a hole in Momma's wooden floor showing my buddy's that same rifle at somewhere around 8-10 years old, heck back in those day's I was 10 and a cousin probably 7 or 8 we got our first $25 .22-LR single shot from Grandma and sears and roebuck and a box of shells, we would stay gone all day in the woods, can't seem to do that now days.........

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
The Rossi is made by Taurus, so QC can be hit or miss. If you get one it's definitely worth it to send it to Steve's Gunz for an action job:

https://stevesgunz.com/

·
Registered
637 Posts
No experience with Rossi. I was checking out an octagonal barreled Uberti in .45 Colt at Cabelas gun library the other day - beautiful rifle, just not the budget for now. A Henry may be the best bang for the buck - I have an octagonal barreled .22 and feel its a great gun for the price.

Another option is a Marlin 1894. I have both a round barreled carbine and a 20" octagonal barreled Cowboy which the previous owner had the action slicked up and it's really smooth, and shoots great. All my Marlins are JM stamped, before Freedom Group bought Marlin and moved the factory. A clean JM stamped 1894 in 357/38 will bring a pretty penny, and a Cowboy even more. I paid over $750 for my 1894 carbines and over a grand for the Cowboy, but I think they'll hold their value.

As far as barrel length, to me it seems a 20" barrel in 357/38 is plenty long. I have another 1894 Cowboy in .45 Colt with a 24" barrel, and it seems pretty long for a pistol round. I'm just going on aesthetics & handling, maybe somebody with ballistic knowledge can tell us if the pistol cartridge can take real advantage of the longer barrel length.

Good luck - lever guns are fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
12,229 Posts

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
I had a Rossi 357 lever gun . It was accurate, but the action definitely needed cleaning up. Did my own work, and it wasn't hard. Plenty about it on YouTube.

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
About a year or so ago I traded off a 4" Taurus .17 I was not happy with and took home a Henry Golden Boy in 22mag. This is a fun gun to shoot. I am surprised how well I shoot at 50 yards even though I cant see impact with iron sights. I just keep aiming for the same spot and group great. Loading is a bit lame with the tube which makes me want one with a loading gate.
The 22mag is tough to find so I am looking to shoot 38/357 and experiment with loads.

I have and shoot a bunch of 38 Special so I figure why not get a lever in 357/38. Looked at in Rossi in 20 inch round barrel, cheap solution. Henry is a bit spendier and Uberti as well. I would like to find a octagon barrel and wondering if i want 24"

Do I want to spend the extra $200 for the Henry or Uberti or is it mostly looks. Looking for some experienced in two or all three to provide pro/cons.

Thanks
I have the Rossi with a 16" barrel and it is one of my favorite guns to shoot. It's surprisingly accurate at 100 yds shooting .38's. I like the balance of the 16" barrels while others think the 20" feels better to them.

It's always a good idea with a new Rossi to flush out the internals and reoil when buying one new as they frequently have metal debris inside. Lots of tune up parts available in the aftermarket to slick them up. As they can vary in condition as delivered from the factory, I suggest buying one off the shelf so you can make sure the sights are centered properly and the action is smooth. I think they are a heckuva lot better buy than anything else out there for someone with a little experience. For someone with no experience in playing with guns, or rifles if you prefer, the Henry is probably better if you don't mind the weight and the cost.

Barrel length velocity depends a lot on the powder and the bullet.

My next Rossi will be a .45 long colt in 16" :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have a Winchester 94 saddle ring carbine 44mag. Fun gun to shoot. Had a 4th of July shoot out at a friend's pasture. Took some old steel oxygen bottles for targets. Was fun rolling them around in the grass with those heavy 44cal slugs.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/357mag.html

no significant velocity gain with longer barrels, maxes out 'round 16" maybe, looks like longer would just slow down bullet

20" seems to be best all around favorite for handling, sight radius, and less muzzle blast

I never like octagon barrels much, looks or heavier weight
Well that is kinda what I was looking for but the charts only go to 18 inch barrels. Thanks for that. I have read all of the bunch of good responses here so I may just as well get whats on the shelf. Simple Rossi 20 inch round in 38/357. $499.00 @ LGS.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I had a Rossi 357 lever gun . It was accurate, but the action definitely needed cleaning up. Did my own work, and it wasn't hard. Plenty about it on YouTube.
Thanks I understand it can be hit or miss... literally. The one I had my hands on had a nice trigger.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have the Rossi with a 16" barrel and it is one of my favorite guns to shoot. It's surprisingly accurate at 100 yds shooting .38's. I like the balance of the 16" barrels while others think the 20" feels better to them.

It's always a good idea with a new Rossi to flush out the internals and reoil when buying one new as they frequently have metal debris inside. Lots of tune up parts available in the aftermarket to slick them up. As they can vary in condition as delivered from the factory, I suggest buying one off the shelf so you can make sure the sights are centered properly and the action is smooth. I think they are a heckuva lot better buy than anything else out there for someone with a little experience. For someone with no experience in playing with guns, or rifles if you prefer, the Henry is probably better if you don't mind the weight and the cost.

Barrel length velocity depends a lot on the powder and the bullet.

My next Rossi will be a .45 long colt in 16" :)
Really good advice cleaning it out. I love getting familiar with a new gun.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.