6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have been searching for a stripped AR-15 with integral trigger guard. ONLY ONE found at local gun show was a Mag Tactical Gen 4. I noticed it looked a little different. What I didn't notice was it is not the usual 7075 aluminum.
It's something different. Advertised as 35% lighter.
Does anyone have experience or advise regarding the durability and quality of this lower?

I will be asking for 12.5" pistol build advice on this lower in another post. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
843 Posts
So, I have been searching for a stripped AR-15 with integral trigger guard. ONLY ONE found at local gun show was a Mag Tactical Gen 4. I noticed it looked a little different. What I didn't notice was it is not the usual 7075 aluminum.
It's something different. Advertised as 35% lighter.
Does anyone have experience or advise regarding the durability and quality of this lower?
View attachment 63054

I will be asking for 12.5" pistol build advice on this lower in another post. Thanks in advance
By the looks of the trigger and hammer pin holes, the way they are built up, I'd have to say it's lighter because some of the "meat" has been removed from the trigger area and possibly the mag well.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
By the looks of the trigger and hammer pin holes, the way they are built up, I'd have to say it's lighter because some of the "meat" has been removed from the trigger area and possibly the mag well.
actually didn't notice the dimpled trigger hole until after I got home. but, yes, you are right.....thickness is reduced.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would hope someone would do that before they posted here...
Well, now.........actually, I did. I also find the members sharing information is very helpful and valuable to me. I appreciate all the positive input and suggestions.

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
thank you for the positive input and suggestion. muchly appreciated
Sorry for the short reply. Still making friends with a new phone....
I have over 800 rounds through one of mine. It is a 16" ARP that goes with me on every trip to Texas to hunt hogs. I haven't had any issues with pins loosening or anything else.
Build it, shoot it....and keep us posted on your progress!

AzCasper

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry for the short reply. Still making friends with a new phone....
I have over 800 rounds through one of mine. It is a 16" ARP that goes with me on every trip to Texas to hunt hogs. I haven't had any issues with pins loosening or anything else.
Build it, shoot it....and keep us posted on your progress!

AzCasper
the extra input is valuable. so much good useful information among our members, and everyone is willing to offer help. Thanks Guys :)

·
Registered
313 Posts
Well, now.........actually, I did. I also find the members sharing information is very helpful and valuable to me. I appreciate all the positive input and suggestions.
Good luck with your new lower… I guess the only way you'll know if it fits your needs is through trial. Hope it serves you well.

·
Registered
8,731 Posts

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here's a good write up on the lower. Magnesium seems to be the metal in question.

·
Super Moderator
5,989 Posts
I hope you have good luck with it, however, I bet the shop you bought it from was glad to get rid of it.

Personally I’d see if they’d take it back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,911 Posts
I used many Mag Tactical lowers in my ultralight AR builds. They work great, the magnesium is a blend with aluminum. So lighter and just slightly less strong than 7075. Heck I have half a dozen lowers using polymer lowers. The only issue is don't loose those longer trigger pins! One of my lowers came without the longer pins! Also some buffer tubes are really tight into the threaded area of the lower. I looked at the problem and used some gease, then eliminated the castle nut. I always thread the rear hole for the selector spring and use a 4/40 allen screw to eliminate the end plate.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I hope you have good luck with it, however, I bet the shop you bought it from was glad to get rid of it.

Personally I’d see if they’d take it back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Very informative.........thank you

·
Registered
4,911 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts