6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My Ultra-lite 3.24 pound AR 15 with 16.1 inch 6.8 barrel that weighs 21.9 ounces is my standard. Love it. But with no muzzle brake it actually has a little kick, not bad but it is there.

But I have looked at the Faxon 16 inch Pencil barrel for over a year now, and it only weighs 19.04 ounces. That is almost 3 ounces less. So it may be possible to get down to 3.0 pounds with this barrel. The 556 has just about half the kick of a 6.8 SPC.

The Veterans at Right to Bear Arms has the barrel on sale for $157.96 with FREE shipping

Going to use one of my Mag Tactical lower, and thinking of using my polymer upper.
The polymer upper weighs 4.10 ounce vs. 6.5 ounces for my Balios upper.

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Got the Faxon barrel, weighs 19.40 ounces on my scale. The barrels used to weigh 19.04 ounces.

The STUPID people at Faxon gave in to the idiots who wanted to put a 2 inch long gas block. So they put a 4 to 5 ounce longer gas block to totally negate the weight savings and Faxon gave in. STUPID! All of the titanium gas blocks are less than one inch in length and weigh as little as 0.55 ounces.

Going to work hard for three pounds, although not going to make any external parts "holey"

Every part is being weighs for the lightest charging handle, lightest spring, lightest buffer.

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Upper:
Polymer upper receiver @ 4.10 ounces
Titanium brake @ 1.2 oz.
Faxon Ultra light weight 556 1:7 twist 16 inch mid length barrel. @ 19.4 ounces
Whiskey Arms lite carrier 3.91 ounces
Rubber City adjustable carrier key
bolt+ titanium firing pin+ cam pin + 2.04 ounces (BCG 5.95 oz.)
Cobra Tactical 9 inch Mid 2.4 ounces plus 1.00 oz. Clark Custom bbl. nut = 3.40 oz. with 3 titanium screws
2A 0.625 titanium gas block 0.65
generic charging handle 1.15 oz.

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lower: Complete lower @ 14.10 ounces
New Frontier lower
NF polymer down pins
Smoker Composites buffer tube/ stock
generic spring
generic buffer
Accu-group trigger (polymer)
Mag K @ 1.7 oz
V7 Ti grip screw

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Complete upper 2.278 pounds or 36.45 ounces, total weight right now is 3.16 pounds.

Have to get to 48 ounces to be @ 3 pounds. Think I can get a lighter muzzle brake, a lighter CF handguard and a lighter pistol grip. Maybe a lighter buffer too.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Bs at what point do you think it gets too light? My ultralight pistol is under 3lb with red dot in its lightest configuration. I find it just doesn't seem to point right. I changed to a 7" bcm rail from my cf hg and with the supressor it shoots and feels right again, but without supressor it just feels unstable in my hands. I realize a longer barrel and a butt plate would help it "feel" more natural, but was just wondering how yours felt to you. I'm more of a freehand and deer stand shooter than a bench guy where it may not matter quite as much. I'm starting to think that other than cool factor a 4-4.5lb rig just feels better while still being easy to carry. My arp 30hrt weighs just over 5lb with scope and is a dream to hunt with. I'm by no means dropping pooh on your lightweight quest, just wondering how the superlight guns feel to you.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Is your buffer empty?
I pulled the weights out of mine and replaced with 3 little rubber cylinders i had laying around.

If I remember dropped close to two oz.

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well a pistol will not feel the same as a AR 15 rifle with 16 inch barrel. I like the Smoke Composites butt stock a lot.

When I shoot at bench or standing up I use the IDF form, 4 to 6 points of contact with the rifle to my body. I have never held the hand guard. My left hand is pulling on the magazine guard, pulling the butt pad into the shoulder hard. My cheek is pushing against the buffer tube and the palm of my shooting hand is pushing against the lower with the trigger finger free to do it's thing. It makes a huge difference with recoil as a loose hold would still hammer my shoulder shooting the 5 pound AR 308s.

The plastic upper does not come in slab side, and I would not recommend it for most people. My previous out had some issues as it would only shoot one shot and not reset the trigger with the loaded round. I think the polymer trigger group was at fault as it is lower in the receiver than most steel trigger groups. So this time I am going to take a couple of lowers with different triggers, as well as a more standard BCG to sort out any problems.

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got 4 of the lighter Hogue 15 degree grips @ 1.50 ounces. Immediately cut one down to 1.2 ounces, now half an ounce lighter on the lower at 13.6 ounces.

Took off the muzzle brake and put a half ounce tread protector on it, cutting 0.6 ounces. Shorter 7" CF handguard @ 1.6 ounces cuts 0.70 ounces

Using the Taccom polymer buffers cut down in weight to 0.65 ounces, taking off another 0.2 ounces with a lighter buffer spring.

Total cuts should be minus 0.5 + 0.6 + 0.7 + 0.35 + 0.2 ounces should be close to 2.35 ounces so just over 3 pounds.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Why not send the barrel Paladin Machine Shop Service and have him reprofile the gas block seat since you don't like the way Faxton did it? Cost would be minimal and you'd drop the weight of the longer gas block seat. Paladin, tp555(at)windstream.net, has reprofiled several barrels for me and none of them have had any accuracy changes. His work is second to none. He does not have a web site and a lot of us on the .458 SOCOM forums use him for our custom wildcat projects.

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
lower below 13 ounces ??????

Just ordered a three pack of the lightest lower @ 3.6 ounces, Tegra Arms is almost a full ounce less then my New Frontier lowers. Supposedly Tegra worked out problems and the redesigned lower is much stronger. I figure as long as I am not shooting a 358 or 450 I will be OK.

I will take a New Frontier lower parts kit, a 1.1 ounce lightened Hogue 15 degree grip and the Smoke Composites 3.3 ounce stock with a 0.6 ounce polymer buffers and see if I can't get the lower below 13 ounces.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Why not send the barrel Paladin Machine Shop Service and have him reprofile the gas block seat since you don't like the way Faxton did it? Cost would be minimal and you'd drop the weight of the longer gas block seat. Paladin, tp555(at)windstream.net, has reprofiled several barrels for me and none of them have had any accuracy changes. His work is second to none. He does not have a web site and a lot of us on the .458 SOCOM forums use him for our custom wildcat projects.
I'd do this as well.
Cut the gas block seat to the exact length of your block, turn the shoulder down behind the gas block seat to a simple .015" tall, .1" thick ledge, and do the same for the ring behind the muzzle threads.
I have one of these barrels too, but I don't remember if it has the short or long gas block seat.
Regardless, for my purposes it's light enough.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Breaststroker, where did you get poly upper for this build?

Breaststroker, where did you get poly upper for this build? Is it still available?
Thanks. Tim

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Lower @ 11.45 ounces

Got the three Tegra lowers, each was 3.70 ounces. Each one has a too tight rear takedown pin hole om the left side. Had to use a small file to enlarge enough to put the new Frontier Polymer lower kit ($35) in.

When I get my next two Hogue grips I will spend more time and try to get them down closer to one ounce. Plus I need to get more out of the Taccom buffers, maybe another 0.1 to 0.2 ounces.

Lower: Complete lower @ 11.45 ounces
Tegra Arms lower @ 3.70 ounces
NF polymer down pins
Smoker Composites buffer tube/ stock
V7 bolt catch 0.30 oz.
generic weaker spring
Taccom buffers @ 0.60 ounces
Accu-group trigger (polymer)
Hogue 15 degree @ 1.3 oz.
V7 Ti grip screw

Gun Firearm Revolver Trigger Starting pistol

Gun Firearm Trigger Gun accessory Revolver

·
Banned
2,342 Posts
have you accounted for the weight of a tether and attachment ring so it won't float off in a sudden gust on wind? LOL

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Lower now at 11.30 ounces and upper without FA and no thread protector but with 1.8 ounce 7 inch CF tube now @ 34.55 ounces.

Total now 45.70 ounces. or 2.86 pounds.

Going to add the 0.4 ounce V Seven forward assist and a longer CF Handguard @ 2.2 ounces, adding 0.80 ounces. Still under 3 pounds.

Revolver Carbon

Gun Firearm Trigger Starting pistol Revolver

1 - 20 of 76 Posts