6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Im getting the itch to build another AR. My first build was my 6.8, and its a tack driver. Im debating 7.62 x 39 or nato 5.56. No specific purpose behind the gun other than just building it for fun. I have my 6.8 and 10mm for specific purposes. What do you guys think?

·
Administrator
22,645 Posts
Every man should have a 5.56... and then a 7.62x39.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I've built three x39s, two for me and one for a friend. All function very well. I also built a 25-45 Sharps a few years ago and it is one of my favorites.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Have you considered the the .223 wylde instead of the 5.56 NATO?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,673 Posts
My ARP barrel is great. Different chamber than 556 or wylde and has 5/8 threads so i can use my 30cal can.

Reactions: toddmack

·
Registered
131 Posts
Have you tried chasing ounces on a LW build? I’ve fallen down that rabbit hole a few times, it’s always fun researching the lightest/most cost effective parts, and trying to get them to run as smooth as possible. Or you could just go all out and go Ti and carbon fiber on as much as you can. I’ve got one of my 5.56 ARs down to about 6lbs with optic and silencer. Spendy but it took a lot of time to get it to where it’s at

·
Registered
305 Posts
I recently sold my 223 Wylde so that I can build another 6.8 in the near future. Given the current ammo situation, I’ve decided to stick with one caliber and have multiple guns that shoot the same ammo. The next build for me will be a SBR.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
20 Practical. Brass is virtually free and there are lots of 20 caliber bullets around.

Greg

·
Registered
486 Posts
I built a 5.45x39 (the Russian's answer to the 5.56). I am now seriously thinking of a 458 socom and you wouldn't have to invest in new magazines if you already have a few 5.56 mags!

Reactions: greentick

·
Registered
28 Posts
If I didn't have a 5.56 I would do that.

Of the alternatives the 6 ARC appeals to me because of my hoard of 6mm bullets and it seems like one of the few AR cartridges that wasn't botched on takeoff.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I recently sold my 223 Wylde so that I can build another 6.8 in the near future. Given the current ammo situation, I’ve decided to stick with one caliber and have multiple guns that shoot the same ammo. The next build for me will be a SBR.
Smart idea. I keep thinking the samething. I sold my 45acp and all ammo 'cause I've got a pile of 9mm and 40 S&W leftover. To bad I rarely listen to my own advice. Less than a month later I bought a new Bersa thunder pro compact in 45acp.

I have had some poor experiences hunting with the 223 but I have been thinking about building a proper upper to see if I can give it some respect.

Reactions: Nontypical

·
Super Moderator
1,673 Posts
Outside of the listed calibers 458 socom is on my list. I actually have the upper (only, no bbl or bcg) in my safe. If it weren't for building up a PRS kit I would have built it up already.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Something in 223 wylde might be bester. Or simple 5.56 NATO. I got 5.56 guns to practice with and use the 6.8 to hunt with. Easier to find ammo for practice, all my 6.8 ammo is hunting ammo, and the.223Rem/5.56nato is legal to hunt with around here so it also acts as a back up hunting rifle. Which I used a few times taking deer with proper ammo of course (Federal Fusion .223 ammo)

·
Registered
445 Posts
I too vote for a .458 SOCOM but ONLY after you get a 5.56 or a .223 Wylde. Everyone needs either the 5.56 or .223 W in their stable.

Now for your .458 SOCOM PSA:
I am a huge .458 SOCOM fan and have been involved with them since the begining, getting my first from TROMIX in 2000. I now have 12 of them ranging from 6.750 inches to 28 13/16 inches and have loaded and shot tens of thousands of rounds of .458 S and .458 S wildcats over the last 21 years. Anyone wanting to go with a .458 SOCOM, I highly recommend you don't chase pennies and cheap out on the barrel and bolt. You don't have to break the bank either but don't go with the Radical, Bear Creek Arsenal, or Midway AR SToner. They use a coppied PTG reamer, but most importantly, they do not have not the slightest idea how to properly make a bolt and barrel extension for the .458 SOCOM, and those are the two essential parts at building a .458 S that makes it 100% reliable straight from the box. I recommend TROMIX since Tony Rumore and Marty ter Weeme of Teppo Jutsu were the two that designed and developed the .458 SOCOM and made it work in the AR action 22 years ago. TJ is no longer in buisness but SBR still makes barrels and uppers under his brand, but the prices are high, the wait is long, and the quality is not one bit better than TROMIX. Rock River Arms is fine too so long as they make the upper or rifle that you want. They don't sell just barrels and bolts. SSK is also a great maker but again, the wait is long, the price is sky high, and they are not one bit better than the TROMIX. TROMIX will have your parts or complete upper in your hands within a week, cost will be more than reasonable, and most importantly, it will work right out of the box. Anyone who tells you that all you have to do is grind down the feed ramp and open the bolt face on the bolt is ignorant of what it takes. The ejector needs to be beveled (something almost nobody does outside of TROMIX and TJ), the extractor needs to be modified or better yet, built from the ground up for the .458 S, which TROMIX does. And the edge of the bolt face rim needs to be rounded, not left sharp, which is an obvious tell of Radical, BCA, and others. People who use the orginal chamber reamer and know how to properly make a .458 SOCOM uper/rifle are TROMIX, SBR (Teppo Jutsu), Rock River Arms, SSK Industries. The others use their own reverse engineered reamer or the reverse engeneered PTG reamer. But like I said, the chamber reamer is only a small part of the story these days since the PTG reamer has changed over time and is not almost identical to the TROMIX reamer. It's the barrel extension and bolt that sets the TROMIX apart and makes them function 100% right out of the box.

If you build your upper yourself, don't forget to get a large port upper receiver or have someone like Paladin Machine Shop Service open up your ejection port. (TP555-work(at)vfemail.net).
Paladin made the barrels for Teppo Jutsu when he was in business so he can make you a extremely high quality .458 SOCOM barrel, but you need to supply the barrel blank, barrel extension (TROMIX), bolt (TROMIX), and you will have to assemble the upper yourself. Paladin cuts metal, he does not build rifles but he most certainly is a master of cutting metal for rifle builds. He has made me dozens of barrels over the years and dozens more of small parts. Everything has been perfect and the barrels, I have yet to have a barrel of his not shoot MOA or better. But he must be given a good blank to work with. Even he cannot turn a pig's ear into a silk purse.
If you want an upper ready to pop on your lower, go TROMIX or Rock River Arms, TROMIX is the number one choice though for selection, cost, speed of filling the order, highest quality of work, and reasonable prices. Outstanding customer service and the most reasonable warranty in the world, copy/paste from their website: If you act like a reasonable adult, there is an unlimited warranty on all parts. However, if you act like an *$$hole, there is no warranty.
After dealing with TROMIX for 22 years, I know this is true. If you have a problem, which is rare but things do happen, he will take care of you but if you act like a child, he'll wash his hands of you in a heartbeat. But you really have to be a jerk of the tenth magnitude to get shown the door.

On a side note, the .458 SOCOM is made to work with unmodified AR 5.56 mags, but it will also work just fine with 6.8 mags, also unmodified. I use the 6.8 mags in my .458 SOCOM cats, .338 SOCOM, .358 SOCOM, and some of the .375 SOCOM loads where I need the longer COAL I can get using PRI 6.8 mags. Also, the .458 SOCOM is designed to work with STANDARD CAR or RIFLE buffers and springs, so you most likely will not need to replace your buffer and spring in your 6.8 host lower, unless you have fallen victim to the H, H2, and H3 buffer weight craze. Never use a H, H2, or H3 buffer or extra power buffer spring in the .458 SOCOM UNLESS you find there is a reason to do so. Start with standared buffers and springs and adjust if needed. The only time I have found I needed heavier buffers are in the short SBRs.

Reactions: greentick
1 - 20 of 35 Posts