6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
tried hard to like 308 MBR, just never rhymed with me for a number of reasons.

Trying to decide between Grendel and 6.8 SPC II. Interested in a long range 20" match barrel with match ammo.

Is there a load similar to Federal Gold Medal Match for 7.62? I want sub-MOA to about 400 meters. With less recoil.

My reservations about 6.5G center about bolts breaking and ammo availability. I never see any at gun shows. 6.8 is not that common either but you do see it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am inclined towards 6.8 due to ammo availability. Just checking common ammo price sites shows that there is 3 times as much 6.8 made as 6.5G, with bigger selection of premium hpbt bullets.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I am inclined towards 6.8 due to ammo availability. Just checking common ammo price sites shows that there is 3 times as much 6.8 made as 6.5G, with bigger selection of premium hpbt bullets.
The Hornady 110BTHP factory load is recommended for testing the accuracy of most rifles. There are a few proven reloads with the same bullet that seem to do well in many different rifles as well. Read through the bullet performance threads in the reloading section and decide for yourself.
Hope that helps.

·
Registered
924 Posts

Trying to decide between Grendel and 6.8 SPC II. Interested in a long range 20" match barrel with match ammo.

Is there a load similar to Federal Gold Medal Match for 7.62? I want sub-MOA to about 400 meters. With less recoil.

My reservations about 6.5G center about bolts breaking and ammo availability. I never see any at gun shows. 6.8 is not that common either but you do see it.
Sub-MOA at 400 meters? Less recoil? If those are your only requirements, you might as well go with .223/5.56.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Sub-MOA at 400 meters? Less recoil? If those are your only requirements, you might as well go with .223/5.56.
Good advice, the 5.56 does seem to meet your criteria.

I'm a hunter and a reloader. I chose the 6.8 over the Grendel because it seemed to be the better hunting cartridge in my opinion. Ammo availibility didn't concern me for either round.

Had I chosen the Grendel I would probably have been fine as they are very close in performance. Honestly, the helpful, informative people on this forum were the deciding factor for me.

Bottom line; your money, your choice.

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
I traded for a Wilson Combat 16 inch non fluted heavier barrel. With is came a target, 2inch 7/8 group at 500 Yards, certainly would make your requirements. ARP and WC and others make 18 and 20 inch barrels that will give a little more velocity.

if you search there have been many, many threads on just what you are asking.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I traded for a Wilson Combat 16 inch non fluted heavier barrel. With is came a target, 2inch 7/8 group at 500 Yards, certainly would make your requirements. ARP and WC and others make 18 and 20 inch barrels that will give a little more velocity.

if you search there have been many, many threads on just what you are asking.
Excellent point, my WC 16" barrel averages 2501fps with Hornady 120SST factory loads and easily shoots MOA.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
IMO, the 6.8 has better performance from a 20" barrel than the 6.5G which really needs long barrels to gain significant performance. I shoot a 24" full bull barrel 6.8 and it's not a gun that should be taken into the field unless it's from a blind for stationary hunting. A 20" barrel is far more useful in far more situations, even with a slightly heavier profile.

For target shooting I've seen people use 130 gr bullets seated out to 2.320, but single loaded. Many comps for semi auto (slow fire) are single load only. I use the Hornady 110 BTHP and load my own to magazine length so I'm not limited to just single load when I'm not at a match. I'm shooting these bullets out to 500 meters (550 yards) with good performance and they're cheap.

-Alexander

·
Registered
76 Posts

If you're going with the 6.8 rd, I've got some Hornady ammo listed that I'd trade you for 308 ammo, if you have any.

Just doesn't seem to be selling like I thought it would.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
The 6.8 SPC II is more of a jack-of-all-trades cartridge(85gr-120gr factory, reloading to 150gr supersonic, 200gr sub [SSA did have a 75gr AP [LEO/Mil only] & a 140gr Berger rounds before the buyout]). Great hunting round. It was designed for a short barreled intermediate rifle cartridge. That is why the 16" is said to be "the sweet spot" & so popular. The 6.5G will give you more long range benefits with a 20+" barrel. The 6.8 will do long range. But, the 6.5G has more Match bullets with higher BC.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I got out of .308 for a little while and replaced it with 6.5 Creedmoor. I have a ARP Nexgen in .308 now, have you considered one of those in .260? While the .260 doesn't have cheap factory ammo, it has some awesome bullets for reloaders.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Let see...I'll throw out budget to buy/build rifle of this...

1. What is your priority a hunting primary rifle and secondary range gun?
If that's it then the 6.8 SPC fits perfect for it. The 6.8 works great out a of short barrel, that's what it was designed for, a 20" is out there but an ARP 18" meloniting barrel will work wonders a bit better. 20" BHW I heard is great unless you go for a Stag Rig.

2. Is your priority is range gun rifle for long range paper and steel ringing and secondary hunting?
Then the .264ARP/6.5G fits the bill. The 6.5 G uses high BC bullets to do with less chamber pressure to be able to do what it does down range. And it needs a longer barrel usually to do it. Ammo can be found even WOLF abit...

3. What has greater ammo selection commercially available?
6.8 SPC wins I believe. I've become a Federal Fusion 115 fan for affordable cost of a .378 BC BONDED hunting bullet. According to some one who tested the heck out of bullets it can do proper expansion FPS out to 400 yards out of my Mini 6.8 with a 1 in 10 twist, spec II chamber. And that is the SAAMI Load. Some people like the lighter loads for zippiness but I like that one personally.

Others gave info on other things. If it were me...KEEP the .308 and Get a 6.8! More tools to work with, get a 5.56 for lighter stuff later on. Really having a decent .308 around is just to handy to get rid off. So you would shoot it not as much, but its there when you need some thing heavier.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am definitely getting out of 308. I am on the east coast and ranges beyond 200 meters are rare in the woods, even that is a stretch. Theoretically 308 has an advantage over 6.8, but it's theoretic only as you actually never get to the ranges where it makes a difference. 175 yards is a long shot if you are hunting and more often than not, the distance is under 100 yards.

Tactical situations are somewhat similar to hunting distance-wise.

There are not very many 1000 meter ranges east of Mississippi river, you have to look hard and drive hours to get one.

I am not looking at 6.5G anymore. For that reason above, it's superiority is realized only at very extended ranges which just don't exist. Secondly the bolt issue, thirdly ammo availability. All things considered, a match barreled 6.8 is the best 308 substitute, where 5.56 lacks power. I think I am only trying to decide between 18" and 20".

Now if I were in a much different terrain, some place in open country where you can make 900+ meter shots. Then I would consider something similar to 260 remington, or 6.5 Creedmore, something flatter shooting than either 308, 6.5G or 6.8.

6.8 seems to be the best all around cartridge, all things considered. I like less recoil than 308, standard magazines, lighter uppers and decent performance to 300 yards which is all you ever need around here.

you just buy all the ammo you will ever need so ammo availability becomes irrelevant.

·
Registered
459 Posts
IMO, the 6.8 has better performance from a 20" barrel than the 6.5G which really needs long barrels to gain significant performance.
-Alexander
Bingo! "That is correct, sir <voice of="" ed="" mcmahon="">!" (in voice of Ed McMahon)
What more do you need to know?</voice>

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Bingo! "That is correct, sir <voice of="" ed="" mcmahon="">!" (in voice of Ed McMahon)
What more do you need to know?</voice>

I already have a 16" Larue upper in 5.56 thus have no interest in anything compact, but rather the max power I can get from 6.8

I realize the difference between 16" and 20" is small but 120 fps is 120 fps and it's free.

In actuality it would have made more sense to have a 16" 6.8 and a 20" 5.56mm.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts