6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone seen it? Free on Amazon Prime video and I am sure there are some other sources.

Anyone who asks me about my time in, I may just refer them to this series now. It is HBO, so there is some artistic license, but good and bad it was pretty close. From Nassariah to even the cigarette factory in Sadam City/Baghdad, it was kind of spooky how they hit all the highlights/lowlights in my memory and portrayed some of the situations.

Had a little anxiety creep back up when their vehicle was surrounded by the crowds in the last episode. I was gunning on a hardback and found this to be worse than any time we were actually engaging anything.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I watched it and my friends who served said it is the closest tv show other than a documentary that they have seen to the real thing. It was a great show and I wish they would have done more episodes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
695 Posts
I watched it on HBO when it was first coming out and remembering enjoying it and its relative authenticity for a movie/series. I'll have to start it up again now that it's on Amazon. Supposed to be a great book, too. Need to pick that one up next time at the book store.

·
9,111 Posts
Going to add it to the list now.

·
Registered
620 Posts
It's very accurate. I was in the task force it tells the story of during the Nasiriyah episode. I think those recon Marines were a little ahead of our regular infantry units during the invasion. It does a good job of capturing the stress and confusion of the battlefield along with the trivial nonsense that added to the frustration.

The only thing it really can't convey is how much the weather sucked and the feeling of wearing the same few pairs of clothes for a couple months with no bathing. You get to the point of rotating your socks to the ones that feel the least slimy in your boots. Think about how nasty you get working in your yard during a steamy day in August and having to repeat that for months, never getting to bathe while wearing those nasty clothes. Yup, that includes going to bed and eating in that condition. You can still feel the slimy grime embedded in my fatigues 13 years later.

I don't remember if it shows the huge sandstorm that turned the sky orange or the torrential rainstorms that turned the battlefield into one huge mud pit we had to slop through. I got trench foot because we had to patrol through that stuff and I've never felt any pain worse than walking for miles while your feet are literally rotting. It feels like every step down is onto a blowtorch.

The infantry isn't the romanticized notion of glory most think it is.

·
Premium Member
10,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's very accurate. I was in the task force it tells the story of during the Nasiriyah episode. I think those recon Marines were a little ahead of our regular infantry units during the invasion. It does a good job of capturing the stress and confusion of the battlefield along with the trivial nonsense that added to the frustration.

I don't remember if it shows the huge sandstorm that turned the sky orange
Thanks for your service.

I thought it was interesting how they were always complaining about batteries for their night vision. Us too. I dont think we ever got resupplied and only had the batteries we started with. Those wore out quick because we did so much at night. We were heavily supplemented with batteries from care packages received during the buildup. Never got mail during the push.

No, the sandstorm was noticably absent. Somebody said something about a red sky but it was never portrayed

·
Registered
620 Posts
Thanks for your service.

I thought it was interesting how they were always complaining about batteries for their night vision. Us too. I dont think we ever got resupplied and only had the batteries we started with. Those wore out quick because we did so much at night. We were heavily supplemented with batteries from care packages received during the buildup. Never got mail during the push.

No, the sandstorm was noticably absent. Somebody said something about a red sky but it was never portrayed
Thanks!

I remember some problems with having good batteries. We did a lot of stuff at night but I really hated patrolling with them. The depth perception was nonexistent, which made for twisted knees and ankles. I also had a 203 on my rifle that precluded me from mounting a PEQ 2. I wouldn't have been able to return accurate fire anyways.

The thermals we used in Afghanistan were much more useful (had crosshairs integrated in the sight), but were just as big as the rifle. It was a goofy sight seeing them mounted.

·
Premium Member
10,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks!

I remember some problems with having good batteries. We did a lot of stuff at night but I really hated patrolling with them. The depth perception was nonexistent, which made for twisted knees and ankles.
Pulling security the 1st night after 30+ hours of no sleep, we were looking down a long, straight road with thick vegetation on the right and a 10' wall on the left. Suddenly an armored vehicle pulled into the road maybe three hundred yards out. I grabbed the 50, already aimed in the direction (yes, I used the T and E) and tried to make a solid ID. Friendly? Is it an LAV? No. I know it isn't one of our tanks either. T-55, BMP? Nope, it was a dog at 50 yards and I was starting to see things.

·
Super Moderator
12,227 Posts
I have to see if Netflix has it. I would love to see it, especially when it comes so highly recommended. I have Amazon Prime but I don't know how to stream that to the TV.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Pulling security the 1st night after 30+ hours of no sleep, we were looking down a long, straight road with thick vegetation on the right and a 10' wall on the left. Suddenly an armored vehicle pulled into the road maybe three hundred yards out. I grabbed the 50, already aimed in the direction (yes, I used the T and E) and tried to make a solid ID. Friendly? Is it an LAV? No. I know it isn't one of our tanks either. T-55, BMP? Nope, it was a dog at 50 yards and I was starting to see things.
CAT team in the Marines?

·
Premium Member
10,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
CAT team in the Marines?
1st Tank Bn. pog. Maintained a click behind the tanks and provided security for or shuttled resupply depending on what was needed.

·
Super Moderator
12,227 Posts
Watched the whole series on my computer monitor. It was a great show. Brings back a lot of memories of military life in general.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I watched it in a tent in Afghanistan in 2014!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts