6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I wait on the paperwork to come in, are there other things that need to be done to have my firearm suppressor ready? I've been reading around the forum and have noticed a lot of talk on adjustable gas blocks and suppressor usage. From what I've read, I'm guessin' I need to get some form of low profile adjustable gas block for my rifles (the can is going to be shared between my 6.8 and 5.56 sbr). Any recommendations on what I need to get? If anything.

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
I use Syrac. Recommend Gen II. Use a drop of CLP every once and awhile. Have an adjustment screw in line with the barrel is the key to success if its under the handguard which mine are.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I just received my 3rd SLR Sentry. I'm very please with them, but still have a low round count on all of them. No suppressed shooting, either. Customer Service from SLR was fantastic.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I have a couple Syrac Gen 2s and like them really well. I'm going to try the MicroMOA Govnah next for durability for a high volume shooting SBR.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Love my Syrac as well, but I'm currently partial to the block from Odin Works. The Odin gas block has an adjustment screw that is made of Inconel. ARP recommends using a gas block with replaceable inserts and not to use the adjustment screw because they wear out. However, Inconel should basically resolve that issue. The adjustment screw is also larger (easier access) than other brands.

Also, Odin Works adjustable gas blocks are $85.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
50 Posts
I just received my 3rd SLR Sentry. I'm very please with them, but still have a low round count on all of them. No suppressed shooting, either. Customer Service from SLR was fantastic.
Absolutely agree, the Sentry gas blocks are awesome, it's just a great design, he even builds them in titanium now. I do shoot suppressed and I also use different bullet weights and powders in my 6.8 and .223 and it allows me to be dialed in on every load for minimal gas and bolt speed.

·
Registered
5,500 Posts
You can also use heavier buffers, spring, or carriers to counter the extra gas. Most including myself like adj block or limiting blocks. I have always used Syrac gen 2, but next one I m going to try Odin

·
Registered
8,932 Posts
You can also use heavier buffers, spring, or carriers to counter the extra gas. ...
True but these are a bandaid trying to fix the problem. The AGB costs a bit more in the original build but is cheaper then buying heavier buffers, springs, and/or carriers to handle the excess gas.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I have a few SLR gas blocks and shoot suppressed with no issues. They make great gas blocks and their hand guards are nice as well.

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
You can also use heavier buffers, spring, or carriers to counter the extra gas.
I've only found springs or buffers work in minor overgassed situations. With 130gr bullets, I needed an adjustable gas block.

·
Registered
5,500 Posts
I totally agree with you guys on changing cycling assembly to counter over gassing, just seems like as you said a band-aid. However I know a few folks, even around here that swear by it. Not my cup of tea, to spent up to or over 1k on a suppressor what's another $100 for a adj. block?

·
Super Moderator
5,753 Posts
I've said many times. IMO, the use of a heavy buffer to control gas is like placing a band-aid on an arterial bleed.
I look at it like this: An over gassed gun is getting to much pressure and or volume of gas to the BCG. Adding a heavier buffer to control cycle will still result in an over gassed gun, it will run dirtier than if you restrict the gas that's needed to achieve proper cycle and reliability. The heavier buffer may change the felt recoil and ejection pattern depending on the severity of excess gas pressure. An adjustable gas block is the proper way to fine tune your gun. Eliminate excess gas needed to cycle=cleaner cooler running gun.

Sent from a final firing position, the crosshairs are on you!

·
Registered
249 Posts
I've said many times. IMO, the use of a heavy buffer to control gas is like placing a band-aid on an arterial bleed.
I look at it like this: An over gassed gun is getting to much pressure and or volume of gas to the BCG. Adding a heavier buffer to control cycle will still result in an over gassed gun, it will run dirtier than if you restrict the gas that's needed to achieve proper cycle and reliability. The heavier buffer may change the felt recoil and ejection pattern depending on the severity of excess gas pressure. An adjustable gas block is the proper way to fine tune your gun. Eliminate excess gas needed to cycle=cleaner cooler running gun.

I've also experienced the charging handle tapping me on the nose, with more than one rifle, while firing suppressed. Adjusting a gas block prevents this.

Griffin Armament makes a charging handle that vents the gas to the side, and that also helps. But with an adjustable gas block, you don't have to smell the really nasty powders like AA1680

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the great feedback. Looks like I will be ordering something pretty soon based on the recommendations received.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My 6.8 has a Vltor CasV mid-length handguard with mid-length gas system. The 5.56 has a Daniel Defense 12 Omega handguard on a carbine gas system. If any of that makes a difference.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a few SLR gas blocks and shoot suppressed with no issues. They make great gas blocks and their hand guards are nice as well.
This. Just built my friend a rifle and I threw on an SLR adjustable. 16" barrel, 110gr ammo, setting 8, softer shooting than my 16" 556 AR with a lo-pro regular gas block.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Could not agree with you more they make great stuff and shipping is usually same day as ordered if done during business hours. I have two SS and one Ti adjustable gas blocks. Shoot suppressed always.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just remembered I need an AGB with a front sight or a rail for the 5.56. I run it with irons and currently have the front sight that comes with the DD carbine. Has the 12" omega handguard with the front sight cutout.

I saw one from JP Industries. Is that basically good to go? I haven't found any others.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,753 Posts
SLR is a good one of course..

I have one coming in today from Superlative Arms.

http://suparms.com/collections/adjustable-gas-blocks-direct-impingement

I had a long discussion with them and I really think it makes sense to vent off the excess pressure out the front vs just limiting the pressure going back into the gas tube/BCG.
I have been testing them on the 6.8 since Tony called me last year and asked me to be a dealer after he left Syrac.

Brett @ Ironworks as been working with them as well.

We have both previously posted our results on these blocks with the 6.8 and had similar results.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts